Problem with Dell XPS 13 (9380) frequencies below 80Hz drop off

luv2fly3

Registered
Hey all. I am having a problem using REW with my Dell XPS 13 notebook (9380). What seems to be happening is there is a fall off below 80Hz. I ran several sweeps and was thinking it was my audio system, until I used a different notebook and everything looked as expected. The XPS only has USB-C ports, so I have to use an adapter for the HDMI out (Anker hub). Again, there are sweeps going through ok, just something about the low frequencies are not right. I'm using a UMIK which also is hooked through the Anker hub. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any similar issues and more, what a fix might be. I'm hopeful there is something I can do as I would sure like to use this notebook for REW.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That would be typical of the bass management response for a speaker that is being treated as bass limited/"small" by the device you are sending the signal to. If you are only sending left/right (using Java drivers, for example) that would be a common result. Generally on Windows when using HDMI an ASIO wrapper like FlexASIO or ASIO4All is needed to provide access to individual channels.

luv2fly3

Registered
Thanks for your response John. So you're suggesting I need to get away from the Java driver and switch to an ASIO type driver to get all channels, including the bass channels? Again, it only happens on my Dell, not my Aero 15, which has a built in HDMI port. When using that laptop, the curves look just fine.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
HDMI is used because it has an option of sending audio data as multichannel linear PCM, meaning uncompressed audio sent individually to each channel. If your adaptor supports that then an ASIO wrapper may do the trick, if it doesn't you may need to stick with the Aero 15.

luv2fly3

Registered
HDMI is used because it has an option of sending audio data as multichannel linear PCM, meaning uncompressed audio sent individually to each channel. If your adaptor supports that then an ASIO wrapper may do the trick, if it doesn't you may need to stick with the Aero 15.
Very good. I downloaded Asio4All and will give that a go. Hopefully it will work! Thanks so much for responding with that idea.

sam_adams

If you find ASIO4All troublesome you may want to try FlexASIO as @John Mulcahy has integrated it into the REW Preferences panel so you don't have to twiddle the settings in the FlexASIO settings file.

luv2fly3

Registered
Very good. I just downloaded that too, so now I have both to try when I get the chance later this week. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Top Bottom