Pro speakers as home audio?

Kakkadu

From what I have read...it is a good chance we will have no more Theaters. If that happens we might have a better chance of buying media for many years to come. The Stuudios make more money selling streams than they do from theaters.
We occasionally have went to the local theater in Mexico, but mainly because it only costs a few dollars. Most people that are in the forums have better audio than the theaters and some have video that rivals it (sometimes even better), plus you can pause a movie if you want at home. I have only went maybe once a year to a local theater when we lived in the USA in the last 25 years. Much cheaper and enjoyable to buy the media, and you can watch it many times for less than going to a theater one time.
There will always be a huge amount of people who can't afford to invest thousands to a home theater or who don't just care and want to see a movie. I don't think theaters will disappear unless the studios tighten the rules from the already insane ones (movies are streamed from a network where not a single one unauthorized network device can be connected or the connection is blocked).

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I sure would hope you are right, but I seriously doubt it... as it is anticipated now that it will be several years before everyone can be vaccinated...once they even get a vaccine. The Big Theater chains in the last few years rennovated their theaters and went in debt big time. How long can they afford to not be open? Things are going to be different now from what we are learning about this Pandemic.

Last edited:

not a wizard

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Biamp Audiaflex
Main Amp
Crown CTs 4200
Front Speakers
Renkus-Heinz
Surround Speakers
Boss
Subwoofers
none
There are valid points and news to each side. I most definitely wish theaters would not go away completely. There are some movies that only a theater screen and sound can portray the experience. A home theater is not big enough to do that unless you are super rich and build one. There’s the Imax experience for example.

not a wizard

More  
Biamp Audiaflex
Main Amp
Crown CTs 4200
Front Speakers
Renkus-Heinz
Surround Speakers
Boss
Subwoofers
none
So I got off the subject of pro-Fi surround. The Fosgate used to have Doby prologic, from what I read is only four channels. I think there are better AVR and surround processors now but precise DSP cannot be done through them? So will a theater surround processor let you perform high level DSP? How do theaters tune their speakers?

Kakkadu

So I got off the subject of pro-Fi surround. The Fosgate used to have Doby prologic, from what I read is only four channels. I think there are better AVR and surround processors now but precise DSP cannot be done through them? So will a theater surround processor let you perform high level DSP? How do theaters tune their speakers?
You can't do everything with just one device. You have to chain your AV to do the decoding and then feed the signal to your DSP that does the room correction.

not a wizard

More  
Biamp Audiaflex
Main Amp
Crown CTs 4200
Front Speakers
Renkus-Heinz
Surround Speakers
Boss
Subwoofers
none
I understand and agreed it’s not all done with one device. It is probably a lot more complex than I realize.

So does your DSP device tune/correct the speakers/room with all 5.1, 7.1 channels?

Kakkadu

My cxa 5100 will tune for the room for11.1.
I've had horrible experiences with the built in tuners of AV amps. Have you checked the linearity using REW afterwards? In one case the automatic tune left a 10db dip to 60hz...

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I've had horrible experiences with the built in tuners of AV amps. Have you checked the linearity using REW afterwards? In one case the automatic tune left a 10db dip to 60hz...
I did in my last system, but we used Dirac with the cx5100. I have not bothered with this HT yet as my speakers are not tuned yet with REW. Once they are ready I will start loOking for a new AVP with Dirac and Auro3d.

I do know that when you rerun a tune it is different if the mic is not in exactly the same position ( I discovered this when I had Audyssey)...so I made a new stand for tuning the speakers that places the mic in exactly the same spot every time. I will use this stand for the mlp too when I get ready to tune the room.

ISharp

More  
Yamaha A5100
Main Amp
Samson Servo 120
Additional Amp
Samson Servo 120
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony BluRay Player
Front Speakers
Mackie HR824 MK2
Center Channel Speaker
Mackie HR824 MK2
Surround Speakers
Mackie HR824 MK2
Surround Back Speakers
Mackie HR624 MK2
Front Height Speakers
Mackie HR624 MK2
Rear Height Speakers
Mackie HR624 MK2
Subwoofers
Mackie HRS120 & SVS Ultra Sub 13 SB
Other Speakers or Equipment
KH P110
Screen
Panasonic Plasma; Sony Triluminos LED
Streaming Subscriptions
Midas M32R
Are you able to apply any DSP to your Yamaha Aventage A5100?

Yes - it‘s working quiet well with DSP especially when listening for leisure and pleasure

Top Bottom