Power Sound Audio Has Created A New Flagship Subwoofer (S7201)

Power Sound Audio Has Created A New Flagship Subwoofer (S7201)

full?d=1501025170.png

(Power Sound Audio)
(July 26, 2017) Power Sound Audio (PSA) has never been shy about designing bone-rattling subwoofers. Just peruse the company’s Legacy Products page and you’ll find multiple examples of seriously potent sub-sonic hammers etched with a utilitarian flair. For example, there’s the company’s first Prism design, the Triax, a wicked beast featuring three 15-inch drivers, a 4000-Watt amplifier, and low-end moxie capable of digging down to 7Hz in a typical room. And then there’s the former flagship T18HT, which had a similar physical design to the Triax but carried three 18-inch drivers (a package that tipped the scales at a back-breaking 170-pounds, despite weighing 70-pounds less than the Triax).

Of course, time and development cycles keep marching forward, and successful manufacturers never rest on their laurels. It just so happens that one of PSA’s latest subs, the S3601, literally killed the company’s reigning flagship product. “The new S3601 was smaller, much less expensive, and weighed less as well,” explained PSA co-founder, Tom Vodhanel. “That prompted us to make a difficult decision and discontinue the T18HT, which was selling at a healthy rate… even though it was our most expensive subwoofer.”

That discontinuation left the company without a true flagship product; a void existed and PSA wanted to fill it. “We were missing something that raised an eyebrow or drew an involuntary ‘oohh or aahh’ from the most experienced audiophile,” said Vodhanel. And thus the door was opened for the creation of a deliciously gnarly sub-$4,000 subwoofer.

Meet the S7201.

The S7201 is, as PSA claims, “a massive subwoofer capable of massive amounts of heart pounding bass.” Standing at 55-inches tall (36.5-inches deep and 22-inches wide) and weighing a whopping 295-pounds, the word massive might not be appropriate.

Perhaps colossal would be more fitting? Prodigious? Gargantuan?

No matter the descriptor you choose to embrace, the S7201 is primed to grab the attention of bass heads far and wide. It offers a heavily braced sealed cabinet design with a Reactive Force canceling driver array loaded with four 18-inch high excursion drivers. Powering the show is a 4000 Watt RMS (8000 Watt Peak) amplifier with DSP, capable of driving a show that can hit down to 6Hz in a room (quasi anechoic rating is: 15Hz-200Hz +/-3dB).

According to Vodhanel, “Co-founder Jim Farina and I have always admired our old B4+ design from 2003. It was a large ported sub that used both Push Pull and Reactive Cancelling driver arrangements. So, when the time came to discuss a new flagship product, we decided that we wanted to reap the benefits of both of those design considerations.”

full?d=1501025170.png

(Power Sound Audio)
“Push Pull” typically refers to a design that has an even number of drivers, half of which are oriented (and wired) in such a way that their cones move "in" toward the driver motor, while the others move "out" and away from the driver motor. Vodhanel says that implementing Push Pull helps to minimize distortions caused by driver motor non-linearities.

“An example of Reactive Cancelling would be our S3601 subwoofer or smaller S3000i model. These subs have drivers that are mounted on opposing baffles and the system is designed to allow them to share the same polarity. So, both move ‘in’ and ‘out’ at the same time. The benefit is that the moving mass of each driver is equal in opposite directions, which means they cancel and cabinet vibrations are kept to a minimum… even at extreme output levels,” said Vodhanel. “It isn't difficult to find examples of products using one of these engineering practices, but there aren't many home audio products that incorporate both. And doing so in a 295-pound monstrosity with four 18-inch drivers is just sweet icing on the cake.”

It just so happens that the cake is both tempting and expensive, but PSA sees a clear market for its new design.

“When potential customers are spending this much money they often want something that will add some wow factor to their room,” explained Vodhanel. “The whole ‘lets put one or two big drivers on the front baffle’ has been done for the last 50 years. Nothing is wrong with that kind of design, but we think even the most experienced audio enthusiasts might see the overall design of the S7201 and stop in their tracks. It’s going to cause curiosity and spark the imagination. On the one hand, it can be viewed as just another ‘big black box,’ but on the other hand it offers some unique engineering that doesn't just happen by accident.”

The S7201 is currently listed at a pre-order price of $3,499 (shipping included for the Lower 48 States), which is $500 less than its normal $3,999 cost. According to PSA, that pre-order offer will run through mid-August. As for cabinet options, the sub will only be manufactured with PSA’s classic Satin Black Texture finish, a surface that plays exceptionally well in most home theater environments.

For more information, visit powersoundaudio.com or send an email to support@powersoundaudio.com.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Ha. That's no lunatic fringe! Just people in the know! ;-)

Tom V.

Ok, ok, ok....Now TV's just showing off! Stop it now!!!

But seriously, those thing looks amazing! I can only imagine what they sound like.

This is mostly Jim's baby. My idea for the new "flagship" got scoffed at around here as too "over the top" ;)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
This is mostly Jim's baby. My idea for the new "flagship" got scoffed at around here as too "over the top" ;)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Whoa.

So if you're idea was too over the top... are we talking some kind of 8 driver 1,000-pound refrigerator?

Tom V.

Ha. That's no lunatic fringe! Just people in the know! ;-)

Couple shots that may be of interest. Office system with dual V3600 and then with one S7201 for a size comparison.

And a couple shots of the old B4+ design, early ancestor to the S7201.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Attachments

• AC4.JPG
    AC4.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 248
  • s7201_4.JPG
    s7201_4.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 248
  • circa2005_2.JPG
    circa2005_2.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 239
  • circa2005_3.JPG
    circa2005_3.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 233

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
A "couple"..:) Well, I shouldn't make fun. We've already had dual orders and got a phone call today from SOTA asking about the availability of the V1801 and dual S7201 if they ordered this week. So the lunatic fringe is alive and kickin'

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Hey... I had 8 x 18's in my room at one time... all DIY. Now I just stick to pairs, but I would really love to have these in the room, not that I necessarily need them... it's the "want" that gets me, although I do like to show off a little all along.

BTW... welcome to AV NIRVANA :T

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Couple shots that may be of interest. Office system with dual V3600 and then with one S7201 for a size comparison.

And a couple shots of the old B4+ design, early ancestor to the S7201.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Those are cool pics! Can you explain the driver array on that B4+?

And this pic speaks volumes:

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 11.17.28 PM.png

Really puts size into perspective!

climber07

LOL... they did produce XS15s for some time...

What other subs have you owned?

The XV15se subs were my first real subs. I've owned JBL es250 12" 400W subs before. When I upgraded, I sold one and moved the other downstairs to do duty for the family room TV and in-ceiling speakers. It works quite well but doesn't dig deep and distorts at high volume. The TV downstairs is a "moderate" listening environment. The TV room/theater upstairs is for "serious" listening and chest pounding.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
The XV15se subs were my first real subs. I've owned JBL es250 12" 400W subs before. When I upgraded, I sold one and moved the other downstairs to do duty for the family room TV and in-ceiling speakers. It works quite well but doesn't dig deep and distorts at high volume. The TV downstairs is a "moderate" listening environment. The TV room/theater upstairs is for "serious" listening and chest pounding.

I think most, if not all, of us have gone through the kind of subwoofer upgrade experience you're describing. It's rather remarkable how much noticeable impact is delivered by "real" subs versus lesser equipment. One of the beauties of PSA is its commitment to bringing super high performance factors at very reasonable prices... really opens the door for a huge segment of enthusiasts to enjoy above average bass!

Tom V.

I think most, if not all, of us have gone through the kind of subwoofer upgrade experience you're describing. It's rather remarkable how much noticeable impact is delivered by "real" subs versus lesser equipment.

That is sort of what got me going with DIY back in 1996(?) which led to SVS and Power Sound. I purchased the Phase Tech 1.0 octave 15" sealed woof based on a review in Stereo Review. Meh, it was ok. Quickly upgrade to a Bagend infra18. Again, meh. Upgraded to four hsu tn25 subs. A little better. All of this probably over the course of 6 months. Bumped in a guy named Stan on the old stereo review forum. Between him and Tom Nousaine they got me up to speed on DIY theory pretty quick.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom V.

Those are cool pics! Can you explain the driver array on that B4+?

Same function as the s7201. Four 12s instead of 18s. And the way they are mounted in relation to the cabinet is a little different. The B4+ had one cavity in the middle, the s7201 has two. But that is just cosmetic(well, there's more going on but I don't want to get into it..:). Anyway, you have four drivers and they are all arranged in both "push-pull" and "opposed" fashion like the s7201.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom V.

Here's a picture of the S7201 outside putting up some fun numbers..:)

We measure outside for max output checks and signal shaping. Then we take it inside for subjective evaluations. These include listening sessions with both music and movies as well as "torture tests". Inside is where we do all of the DSP work. Then its back outside to see how the DSP work may effect output and revised shaping per the listening sessions. Then back inside for more listening. We go back and forth until we feel like we've gotten things optimized on all fronts. Sound quality is always first but ensuring longevity and maximizing output capabilities aren't far behind.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Attachments

• s7201_5.jpg
    s7201_5.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 591

climber07

We measure outside for max output checks and signal shaping. Then we take it inside for subjective evaluations. These include listening sessions with both music and movies as well as "torture tests". Inside is where we do all of the DSP work. Then its back outside to see how the DSP work may effect output and revised shaping per the listening sessions. Then back inside for more listening. We go back and forth until we feel like we've gotten things optimized on all fronts. Sound quality is always first but ensuring longevity and maximizing output capabilities aren't far behind.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I am so excited to see what kind of numbers you guys are getting with this sub. I will know soon enough, but I'm thinking that my radio shack meter might be inadequate for the SPLs that this thing can push. Especially in the lower regions.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

How many weight lifters did it take to position that puppy?

Tom V.

s7201_5-jpg.jpg

Parking job is a bit crooked :heehee:

These "torture tests"... are they for the sub or the building?

It can old, fast. Especially with the bigger subs. I LOVE the listening sessions. Enjoying a variety of (mostly) music and movies at varying volume levels. Just getting an overall sense of the subwoofer, how it sounds, how it blends at a variety of crossover points, the room size control, that is all a lot of fun. But the "torture" stuff. Man, I end up standing there with my fingers in my ears...

I don't know how some guys do it. I'll read

"I just watched fast and funky 14 again last night. What a horrible movie, but great bass!" Ugh. Give me Jaws or Key Largo on a mono 13" screen anyday..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom V.

How many weight lifters did it take to position that puppy?

It is actually much easier to move around than our old Triax even though it(s7201) is about 60 pounds heavier. Just the shape and having some where to get a hold of it(driver cavities). Still a two man job of course. And two man + dolly = not so bad at all..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom V.

I would use it as my couch! Probably the only way it would fit in my living room.

It is interesting how our temporary perspective can be. If we build nothing but S1500, 15S and our smaller speakers for 1-2 days I walk past those being assembled a dozen times and begin to see how people think the S1500 is "too large" for most homes. Now, having one S7201 in/out of my office for the better part of July...I walk by a S1500 being built and it looks like a subwoofer for ants..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

ShpongleDMT

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR 1913
Sony PS4
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology 8060HD
Surround Speakers
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD
Video Display Device
Samsung Plasma
That thing is ridiculous and I love it.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I need to stop reading the forums about the s7201. I am having serious withdrawal symptoms. @Tom V. I am so anxious to get mine. Three weeks is torturing me. :hissyfit:

The urges of upgradeitis.

It's a terrible affliction! ;-)

Climber... when you get yours, will open a owners thread in our sub section so we can get your full impression and start asking questions? ;-)

climber07

The urges of upgradeitis.

It's a terrible affliction! ;-)

Climber... when you get yours, will open a owners thread in our sub section so we can get your full impression and start asking questions? ;-)

Sounds good Todd. My impressions will be based on an SPL meter and listening sessions. I will definitely have tons of pics and maybe a video of me and the family moving the monster up a flight of stairs using my climbing ropes, harness, pulley, and such. It should be interesting. Especially with a back injury. LOL My days of moving couches and refrigerators upstairs by myself are past. The Marine Corps took a toll on my body. Now I have to work a LOT smarter than I used to.

I'm not a REW expert by any means. I still need to get a UMIK-1 so that I can build a few acoustic panels and corner bass traps. I don't want to install a bunch of treatments without having measurements to validate their placement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom