Possible listening position changes and new theater seat for my primary listening position.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Now that I have my 15A's installed... these things are huge. I really want to get my setup closer to the Cardas recommendations for speaker placement and listening position, which makes it really hard to do without being able to bring the speakers more out into the room (farther from the rear wall behind the speakers), another 24" or so, unless I move my primary listening position back about the same distance, maybe even a little more, perhaps 30". I decided since I am the only one that hardly ever comes in here and sits on the front row, I've removed the two seats to the left and right of me. So now I'm down to one single seat on the front and still with three in the back. I've moved the back row back about 12" or so, and now I'll begin to carve into my riser the width of my new recliner I just ordered so that I can move my primary listening position farther back. The center back seat won't be able to fully recline, but that's okay too... the room will be a LOT more flexible for music listening in the primary position, and basically get me from being dead center of the room, which hopefully will improve adverse room modes. I don't really know if all this will help much, but figure I'll try it.

Why the new seat? The current seats are designed for row seating, so there is an unfinished side (bottom half) with a wider arm on one side. They are nice, but not setup for a single seat. Picked up this Turbo XL700 that is also setup a little better for my needs. Ordered it from the TheaterSeatStore.com during a Cyber Monday sale they are having. Nothing really fancy, but it will do the job.

And yes... I'll have a 4 seat (slightly curved) configuration I'll make someone an awesome deal on. These seats are not hurt in the least bit... you can do 2, 3 or 4 seats in the row... and I'll sell either 3 or 4. I don't mind keeping one just in case I decide to add one to the back row again one day. I doubt I will, so I'd rather sell all 4, but I am flexible. I'm thinking $1,200 for all 4 seats if you come get them, which is an absolute stellar deal.

I already think it sounds better (psycho-brain-messing-with-me-syndrome) without the two flanking chairs. :ponder:

3dbinCanada

Staff member
More  
Yamaha RX-A3060, RX-V1900, RX-V1075
Yamaha BD-S681, Sony UBP-X800, Oppo BDP-83
Front Speakers
PSB Image T65, PSB Century 800, PSB Century 300
Center Channel Speaker
PSB Image 8C, PSB Century200, PSB Century 100
Surround Speakers
PSB Image 1B, RBH A600, PSB Alpha Minis
Surround Back Speakers
PSB Image 1B
Subwoofers
Rythmik LV12-R, PSB Subsonic 6, PSB Subsonic 5
Video Display Device
UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"/UN50MU7100 50"
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Equipment
BlueSound Node2i
Now that I have my 15A's installed... these things are huge. I really want to get my setup closer to the Cardas recommendations for speaker placement and listening position, which makes it really hard to do without being able to bring the speakers more out into the room (farther from the rear wall behind the speakers), another 24" or so, unless I move my primary listening position back about the same distance, maybe even a little more, perhaps 30". I decided since I am the only one that hardly ever comes in here and sits on the front row, I've removed the two seats to the left and right of me. So now I'm down to one single seat on the front and still with three in the back. I've moved the back row back about 12" or so, and now I'll begin to carve into my riser the width of my new recliner I just ordered so that I can move my primary listening position farther back. The center back seat won't be able to fully recline, but that's okay too... the room will be a LOT more flexible for music listening in the primary position, and basically get me from being dead center of the room, which hopefully will improve adverse room modes. I don't really know if all this will help much, but figure I'll try it.

View attachment 37454 View attachment 37455 View attachment 37456

Why the new seat? The current seats are designed for row seating, so there is an unfinished side (bottom half) with a wider arm on one side. They are nice, but not setup for a single seat. Picked up this Turbo XL700 that is also setup a little better for my needs. Ordered it from the TheaterSeatStore.com during a Cyber Monday sale they are having. Nothing really fancy, but it will do the job.

And yes... I'll have a 4 seat (slightly curved) configuration I'll make someone an awesome deal on. These seats are not hurt in the least bit... you can do 2, 3 or 4 seats in the row... and I'll sell either 3 or 4. I don't mind keeping one just in case I decide to add one to the back row again one day. I doubt I will, so I'd rather sell all 4, but I am flexible. I'm thinking $1,200 for all 4 seats if you come get them, which is an absolute stellar deal.

I already think it sounds better (psycho-brain-messing-with-me-syndrome) without the two flanking chairs. :ponder:

Good luck and let me know how it goes. I too am thinking about shifting everything around. Before drilling holes in my stipple ceiling for my atmos speakers, I want to make sure that the location that I have for the main system remains. I'm thinking about relocating the subwoofer beside the left speaker and shifting everything down by 20 or so inches and try that out for a while. If that works and I like it, I will then know where to put the holes in my stippled ceiling to hang the speakers. :)

My concern with this 20" move is that will move the right speaker which is located 4 feet from the side wall to 28" from the side wall. I wonder if that's too close. It centralizes the system to the seating area more.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
I'm having to backup on the XL700 recliner. I got it in, but wow... very surprised at just how mismatched it is for my needs. First of all... my feet don't touch the floor when I'm not reclined, which is very uncomfortable for me. I do like to just sit and listen from time to time without reclining. With this XL700, which I do recline I feel like I'm about to release on a sliding board. I keep inching down little by little... slip sliding away. This is supposedly one of their more popular units and I'm not sure why or how. Either way... I've had to really dig and research other models to figure out what might work. Gonna ship this one back and try another.

As for the location... I ended up moving the speakers closer to the wall based on the Cardas placement recommendations for "planar" type speakers, which caused me to move the recliner closer to the screen instead of back into the riser. I've tried the equilateral triangle... but it doesn't sound near as good as what I'm use to hearing. There is too much of a disconnect from the music... not as immersed in the sound stage. The distance to speaker relationship I've been using holds true to the sound, and now that I've gotten those other seats out of the room, it's sounding really good. I can't say necessarily that it's significantly better, but I believe it's at least somewhat better.

3dbinCanada

Staff member
More  
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
PSB Image 1B
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Equipment
BlueSound Node2i
As for the location... I ended up moving the speakers closer to the wall based on the Cardas placement recommendations for "planar" type speakers, which caused me to move the recliner closer to the screen instead of back into the riser. I've tried the equilateral triangle... but it doesn't sound near as good as what I'm use to hearing. There is too much of a disconnect from the music... not as immersed in the sound stage. The distance to speaker relationship I've been using holds true to the sound, and now that I've gotten those other seats out of the room, it's sounding really good. I can't say necessarily that it's significantly better, but I believe it's at least somewhat better.

You tried the equalateral triangle and you didnt like the sound? And you moved things back to an isosceles triangle? Is that what you are sayng?

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
You tried the equalateral triangle and you didnt like the sound? And you moved things back to an isosceles triangle? Is that what you are sayng?
Yep... and if you try the equilateral... take a small chair and move forward about a foot at a time to see if it improves for you. If it does then you can move your main seat to that position and dial it in with Dirac, etc.

3dbinCanada

Staff member
More  
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
PSB Image 1B
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Equipment
BlueSound Node2i
Yep... and if you try the equilateral... take a small chair and move forward about a foot at a time to see if it improves for you. If it does then you can move your main seat to that position and dial it in with Dirac, etc.

Do you have any pics for the updates?

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Do you have any pics for the updates?
Not yet... waiting on my new recliner... and my new rack... shouldn't be much longer and I'll do another video.

3dbinCanada

Staff member
More  
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
PSB Image 1B
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Equipment
BlueSound Node2i
Not yet... waiting on my new recliner... and my new rack... shouldn't be much longer and I'll do another video.
Is it safe to show one's rack on here? :p

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
lol... well... I've posted a few racks of ribs on here in the past.

I did finally get it in, and the replacement recliner, and I've rearranged my room quite a bit. Removed acoustical panels and installed new ones, but still waiting on some diffusion panels I ordered from GIK. They should be here any day. Once I get those installed then I'm gonna do a new video and take some still shots as well.

Top Bottom