Pioneer Elite VSX-LX505 Owners Thread

DragonRM

All it says is Advanced MCACC and it’s separate from the Dirac setup -I haven’t tried it though, I had Pro in the past. I was running 7.1 on my SC95 then 7.2 - I was running 5.2.4 in the end before the 505 And I settled on 7.1.2 at the moment. I haven’t set up the second sub yet but may hold off for now as I think I want to get a 7.2.4 going at some point and set it up then. I think you’d still need the mini dsp if you wanted independent sub control and some type of 2 channel for 2 of the Atmos channels. Aside from the subs all the other channels should be detected by Dirac. I had to do some tweaking on the sub levels after Dirac was done but everything else was pretty spot on. The overall processing on the height speakers is much better on this unit so that’s why I switched it up.

BiggieSmallz

Registered
Does anyone know if this AVR works with Logitech Harmony Hub or any other universal remote that is compatible with Alexa?

I downloaded the user manual for the LX505 but it says Alexa is only capable of adjusting the volume or skipping songs. That seems like a very limited command set for such a versatile AVR.

But I was thinking of connecting a universal remote to it such as the Logitech Harmony Hub, and therefore getting a much bigger command set from Alexa. Has anyone tried using the Logitech Harmony Hub to the LX505?

Basically, I want to use Alexa to switch inputs on the receiver. I want it to be as simple as saying "Alexa, switch to cable box" or "Alexa, switch to outdoor security camera" and things like that.

Ssgtnubb

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Pioneer Elite VSX-LX505
Front Speakers
Goldenear Triton Three+
Center Channel Speaker
Goldenear SuperCenter XL
Surround Back Speakers
Goldenear SuperSat 3
Video Display Device
LG OLED
Does anyone know if this AVR works with Logitech Harmony Hub or any other universal remote that is compatible with Alexa?

I downloaded the user manual for the LX505 but it says Alexa is only capable of adjusting the volume or skipping songs. That seems like a very limited command set for such a versatile AVR.

But I was thinking of connecting a universal remote to it such as the Logitech Harmony Hub, and therefore getting a much bigger command set from Alexa. Has anyone tried using the Logitech Harmony Hub to the LX505?

Basically, I want to use Alexa to switch inputs on the receiver. I want it to be as simple as saying "Alexa, switch to cable box" or "Alexa, switch to outdoor security camera" and things like that.
Curious as well on Logitech Harmony getting an update for the receiver. The remote for mine isn't working at all, thankfully I was able to get the Pioneer app to work.

So far very happy with the receiver, pushing my Goldenear's wonderfully.

HAmmer32261

Registered
More  
Pioneer Elite VSX-LX505
Main Amp
Pioneer Elite VSX-LX505
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB420-K
Front Speakers
Klipsch RB-81II
Center Channel Speaker
Kliisch RP-504c
Surround Speakers
Klipsch RB-61II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch RP-500SA
Subwoofers
Monolith 12in 500w
Video Display Device
Samsung q60a
Admin delete my account

Last edited:

RyanA

Hi All. Does anyone know how to turn off the onscreen volume indicator for the LX505? Thanks for any help

dlaloum

More  
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Integra DTR 70.4 / Crown XLS2500
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1
Center Channel Speaker
Anthony Gallo Reference AV Center
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H
Finally figured it out. Thanks
You might want to leave a note as to how you resolved it.... so the next reader who comes across your question, will also get the answer...

Flak

VIP Supporter
As mentioned on our dedicated web page, owners of supported AVRs can now beta test our completely new mobile apps introducing an auto-target curve that calculates a suggested target specific for each system, and a simplified way to change the target, should that still be desired or required:

Thanks for your time :)
Flavio

Dave N

More  
Pioneer LX505
Sony
Front Speakers
Polk Reserve 200's
Center Channel Speaker
Polk Reserve 400
Surround Speakers
Polk Signature 15's
Surround Back Speakers
Polk Signature 10's
Subwoofers
Polk HTS 12
Other Speakers or Equipment
Panamax 5400M
Hello, happy to see this community. I just spend two days setting up my new 505, mostly playing with Dirac. I messed up the first few files trying to figure things out but I'm pretty close now. My sound quality is wonderful but compared to my previous receiver (Onkyo NR646) I seem to have lost some punch The Onk was 100W and as you know our Pioneer is 120W so I expected a little more juice. The quality is there for sure and I can play much clearer sound at the high end of the range. I'm just a little nonplussed at the relatively low volumes. As an example, at -35.0db I would say my sound is at a conversational level. I also seem to lack a little punch on movies unless I take the volume up to -18db. Is this what you guys are experiencing or do you think I need to have a few more goes at Dirac?

dlaloum

More  
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H
Sounds like you need to tune your Target curve.... probably focus on the mid-bass area...

dlaloum

More  
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H
I have just configured my Integra DRX 3.4 (Twin to the LX305) - and the sound is definitely better than my old Onkyo / Integra - and the difference seems to be primarily down to DIRAC. (My previous Audyssey XT32 setups "BBC dip", was probably the main problem....)

Midrange was an immediate improvement.

Bass I am not 100% happy with - it is sounding a bit "plummy" - I need to re-tune it with the PC Dirac app, and then investigate what is happening with the bass response (especially the mid bass) before tuning it further.

Dave N

More  
Pioneer LX505
Sony
Front Speakers
Polk Reserve 200's
Center Channel Speaker
Polk Reserve 400
Surround Speakers
Polk Signature 15's
Surround Back Speakers
Polk Signature 10's
Subwoofers
Polk HTS 12
Panamax 5400M
Check out your cross-over points, it changed mine and I had to change it back to what I wanted and then the bass was wonderful. It does take a lot of tweaking for sure but also totally worth it! Currently My laptop and my Pioneer have decided not to speak with each other anymore, slightly frustrating.

dlaloum

More  
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H
So - having ordered my Integra 3.4 AVR in September 2021, it finally arrived on Monday.... (the Integra is almost identical to the LX305... but with Pre-outs... similar to a lower powered LX505 with fewer channels - DAC's, and DSP are identical throughout the family... Onkyo RZ50/NR7100, Pioneer LX305/505, Integra DRX 3.4/5.4)

I am glad I waited.

So here is the quick review...

My System :

Speakers
Front L/R Gallo Reference 3.1
C Gallo Reference AV Center
Surround L/R PSB Alpha Intro
Sub Gallo TR2
TV Sony X90H

Current AVR being replaced
Onkyo TX-SR876 (2008, 30kg, 140W/ch beast - Audyssey XT) - no HDMI inputs (burnt out) - SPDIF
also Integra DTR 70.4, same amp as 876 (same weight too!), let out its magic smoke recently - Audyssey XT32 - both of these sounded best without Audyssey - run straight. - although for Movies I often activated Audyssey so I could listen late at night using the Dynamic EQ function. (Loudness)

Power amps 2x Crown XLS2500 - not connected in a while, have been running the 876 the last 6 months since the 70.4 failed... the Crowns are intended to be configured with their onboard crossover to BiAmp the Front L/R.

Box arrived and was unpacked - nicely built unit, looks a lot like the old 70.4, but weighs half as much... the lightness is not promising from a class AB amp perspective! it is both shorter in height and depth, than the old ones (possibly a good thing... they are/were huge!)
I can easily pop the new unit into the rack, not much effort - taking the old beast out on the other hand requires great care, and is easiest with 2 people - it is HEAVY.

For starters I just plugged in the 3.4 on its own, simply replacing the 876, and feeding it via HDMI.

I had a brief listen... 10 to 15min - definite lack of body, it sounds a bit coarser perhaps in the mids and highs - hard to tell... but definitely not as good as the 876 (both were being run with no RoomEQ) .
Rerun speaker cables, set up for Biamping - connect up the 2 x Crowns, set up their onboard crossovers to 125Hz, and set their gain to around 75%
Manually set levels for all speakers....

First listen of the Integra DRX 3.4 with the Crowns - setup as planned...

Ahh that's definitely better ... in fact it is very good, better than the 876 on its own (I think?)- hard to tell, but at least in the same ballpark - it is sounding good.

Hmm OK, lets try Dirac.... - first run using only the AVR on its own.... quick set of measurements and a listen.... - ooh this is sound good....
Midrange and mid-highs are definitely clearer - tried a couple of movie clips - vocals / dialogue is much much clearer - this is far better than Audyssey (at least in my setup).
Downsides... the bass is sounding a bit "plummy" - sounds like a mid bass boost... need to try a more thorough measurement and analysis - and that's what the Dirac PC app is well suited to.

Did a bit of viewing that evening - was great watching Peaky Binders on Netflix... definitely an upgrade from my previous setup - and most of the improvement seems directly due to Dirac - definitely feeling vindicated about my wait for the Dirac Based Onkyo/Integra unit....
Let's see if I can resolve that bass issue.

Next day - I ran up the Dirac PC app on my laptop - still using the Puck MIC connected to the AVR for measurements - Puck is attached to me old camera tripod.
I ran the full 17 point Dirac measurement across our 3 seater couch.

Then I brought up the resulting measurements - loaded a Harman +4db target curve, and adjusted it a little by applying a slight rolloff at the high end - adjusted some of the curtains (up for the surrounds, down for bass on the fronts)

Initial listening response: - fantastic - the plumminess is gone! (so I must have measured wrong the day before) - system is sounding better than it ever has - better detail, smooth, deep base - soundstage....

Looking forward to further listening over coming weeks - my initial response is that YES, Dirac is a game changer - dramatic improvement from Audyssey.

The AVR on its own is too underpowered for my speakers - but that was expected - they can be a difficult load, and that would not apply to many setups/speakers.

But the AVR is an excellent prepro, based on my listening - and its internal amps are more than adequate to run a pair of surrounds and the center....

When I have the time, I will try to set up some height speakers....

For those on the fence - I would suggest hanging on for the Dirac AVR's rather than succumbing to the lure of Audyssey....

chashint

I started using the VSX-LX505 January 10.
Equipment connected to the AVR is ... LG C2, PS5, Xbox Series X, Roku, Sony BD player and a computer is connected via LAN for music and the network interface.
Speakers are all Klipsch ... RF83, RC62, RS42.
The Harmony programming app for the Harmony One remote has the 505 in the data base, but there are a couple of missing functions.
To get going and evaluate the AVR I used the MCACC to set levels and distance.
It did a good job with that, pretty much the same as the old VSX-23TXH and very similar to the Denon x2200W.
The HDMI 2.1 features work correctly with LG C2, PS5, and Xbox Series X (hooray).
I like everything going through the AVR to the TV much better than having the consoles connected to the TV and using ARC for the audio. The CEC was always messing with me while I was using the Denon AVR.
My wife and I both think the sound is very good, we have settled in with pure direct mode.
I have not messed with Dirac yet.
I will get around to it soon enough and see if it makes a positive contribution to the experience.
We are well satisfied with the sound right now.
It was reported on the ASR forum the nanny circuit kicked in during the power sweep test, I have tried very hard to make the nanny circuit kick in using music but I was not able to make it happen. I do not think anyone playing real world content will have an issue with the AVR suddenly throttling the output.
I just did a hiss check by turning the volume on the AVR to maximum and putting my ear in the tweeter of one of the RF83 speakers.
I am 64 years old so if you have young pristine ears YMMV on hiss detection but as far as I can tell hiss is virtually inaudible with my ear right at the tweeter, and moving a couple inches away I cannot hear it at all.
My wife never said anything about the front inputs on the old Pioneer or the Denon, but she did ask a couple evening back if this one had any front inputs and when I showed her they were behind the door she said she liked the clean look with the door a lot better than the other AVRs.
I like the VSX-LX505.

Dave N

More  
Pioneer LX505
Sony
Front Speakers
Polk Reserve 200's
Center Channel Speaker
Polk Reserve 400
Surround Speakers
Polk Signature 15's
Surround Back Speakers
Polk Signature 10's
Subwoofers
Polk HTS 12
Panamax 5400M
Equipment connected to the AVR is ... LG C2, PS5, Xbox Series X, Roku, Sony BD player and a computer is connected via LAN for music and the network interface.
The Harmony programming app for the Harmony One remote has the 505 in the data base, but there are a couple of missing functions.
It did a good job with that, pretty much the same as the old VSX-23TXH and very similar to the Denon x2200W.
The HDMI 2.1 features work correctly with LG C2, PS5, and Xbox Series X (hooray).
I like everything going through the AVR to the TV much better than having the consoles connected to the TV and using ARC for the audio. The CEC was always messing with me while I was using the Denon AVR.
My wife and I both think the sound is very good, we have settled in with pure direct mode.
I will get around to it soon enough and see if it makes a positive contribution to the experience.
It was reported on the ASR forum the nanny circuit kicked in during the power sweep test, I have tried very hard to make the nanny circuit kick in using music but I was not able to make it happen. I do not think anyone playing real world content will have an issue with the AVR suddenly throttling the output.
I just did a hiss check by turning the volume on the AVR to maximum and putting my ear in the tweeter of one of the RF83 speakers.
I am 64 years old so if you have young pristine ears YMMV on hiss detection but as far as I can tell hiss is virtually inaudible with my ear right at the tweeter, and moving a couple inches away I cannot hear it at all.
My wife never said anything about the front inputs on the old Pioneer or the Denon, but she did ask a couple evening back if this one had any front inputs and when I showed her they were behind the door she said she liked the clean look with the door a lot better than the other AVRs.
I like the VSX-LX505.
Do yourself a massive favor and take the time to set up DIRAC,

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I like the VSX-LX505.
There can definitely be a disconnect between a lab test and real-world performance. Though, I probably wouldn’t try to force the AVR into any sort of protection mode. If you’re not tripping anything with normal use, you have nothing to worry about… ;-)

Agree on checking out Dirac. Audyssey can be excellent given many situations, so it’s not too surprising that you’re loving the sound. I think you’ll find Dirac blows your sound stage open wider. When dialed in, it’s a great product!

chashint

This morning thewhen I turned on the AVR there was a relay that was stuck in a rapid switching mode.
This continued after a power cycle.
I did a factory reset but the rapid clicking continued so I started troubleshooting.
Turned out there was some issue between the AVR and the Roku.
Restarting the Roku solved the issue.
Since I jumped the gun on resetting the AVR I went ahead and downloaded the Dirac PC app and did the calibration that used the most measurement points.
I experienced no problems setting the speaker levels and the calibration went smoothly on the first attempt.
The default target curve looked good to me so I went with it.
We have been watching Star Trek Discovery on Paramount + and the breathless whispered dialog from the main character has been unintelligible in many scenes requiring a rewind and replay with subtitles.
I skipped through the last episode we watched playing different scenes and I think the dialogue is improved.
The first impression of the Dirac calibration is good.
After we spend some real time with it I will post again.

DragonRM

I’m Im pretty sure I had the first 505 in the US and am still happy with it since launch. Only one bug I’ve run into, and it’s mainly related to earc..I think it’s more on the tv end where occasionally it doesn’t put out sound from any input until a power cycle. If I don’t use my earc it never does it so I think it’s on the Samsung tv side. If you can use Dirac do it… was a way better result than the MCACC. Just have to adjust the sub levels afterwards. Running it as a 7.1.2 at the moment though I have tried a .4 with good results. I just want some different speakers and a 2 channel to expand it to 7.1.4. The majority of the launch issues have been fixed with firmware though check for manual usb updates as they seem to be released more often than the network updates. Still would recommend this receiver… similar Klipsch setup to the one above :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
@DragonRM, have you confirmed your Samsung TV is firmware up to date?

DragonRM

Yeah… it’s been an ongoing issue after the last receiver update so I think once the next major firmware update goes through for the TV it should be fixed. Samsung can be notoriously slow around the time their new models come out :) the fact that it only happens with this TV and not my other one makes me think it’s on their end. It doesn’t happen too often either way… maybe once a month. Also, if you only use earc it’s not a problem. It’s when switching back and forth. I’m changing up my setup soon where this TV will really only be used for the home theater so the switching won’t be happening but I’ll update if they get it fixed. Currently it has 4 consoles, a PC, Blu-ray, and cable all going to it so I do a lot of switching ;)

Last edited:

chashint

I have been listening with the Dirac calibration for a little over a week.
I have had time to learn about tweaking it and have tried using some of the Harmon curves.
In my case the baked in curve was so close it seemed pointless to change, but I did it anyway.
in all cases the overall sound is fine, I would not describe it as revolutionary in any way though.
Compared to direct/pure direct, just like a multipoint calibration using MCACC or Audessey, the Dirac sound is different.
I would not necessarily say different is better or worse though, just different.
Sometimes a movie or TV show sounds better in direct mode, sometimes it sounds better in Dirac mode.
I got the VSX-LX505 so I could run the PS5 and Series X through it with 4k/VRR and that works very well.
When I had the consoles connected to the TV and used ARC for the audio (Denon 2200W) the CEC made the universal remote unreliable which was a big problem for the spousal unit.
If the HDMI 2.1 features are not needed I would recommend keeping whatever gear you have, if they are needed I am satisfied with the VSX-LX505 and recommend it.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I have been listening with the Dirac calibration for a little over a week.
I have had time to learn about tweaking it and have tried using some of the Harmon curves.
In my case the baked in curve was so close it seemed pointless to change, but I did it anyway.
in all cases the overall sound is fine, I would not describe it as revolutionary in any way though.
Compared to direct/pure direct, just like a multipoint calibration using MCACC or Audessey, the Dirac sound is different.
I would not necessarily say different is better or worse though, just different.
Sometimes a movie or TV show sounds better in direct mode, sometimes it sounds better in Dirac mode.
I got the VSX-LX505 so I could run the PS5 and Series X through it with 4k/VRR and that works very well.
When I had the consoles connected to the TV and used ARC for the audio (Denon 2200W) the CEC made the universal remote unreliable which was a big problem for the spousal unit.
If the HDMI 2.1 features are not needed I would recommend keeping whatever gear you have, if they are needed I am satisfied with the VSX-LX505 and recommend it.

Would you say that Dirac gives your room a wider-sounding soundstage?

chashint

My listening area is the living room, 5.1 speaker setup.
Speaker placement and my listening position is not optimal, but it is what I have to work with.
The difference I hear switching between Dirac on/off and between direct/pure direct/auto surround is changes in volume and brightness of the sound.
Since I am not In the middle of the sound field the soundstage does not change for me.
I am pleased with the VSX-LX505, I didn’t expect Dirac to be a miracle cure for my listening area issues, but when so many praise it so highly I guess it’s hard not to be hopeful.
Rock solid HDMI functionality is my biggest requirement for an AVR and I have no complaints whatsoever about that.

Storm

More  
Pioneer VSX-LX505
Samsung UBD-M8500
Front Speakers
Audioline AL1000
Center Channel Speaker
Audioline AL525
Surround Speakers
Canton
Subwoofers
Jensen X165
Video Display Device
Samsung KS8000
Remote Control
Harmony One
Streaming Equipment
Apple TV
Streaming Subscriptions
Netflix, Disney+
Other Equipment
PlayStation 5
Hello all, I'm new here and I joined as I saw this thread since I've just got my hands on the Pioneer VSX-LX505. So far I am finding it a fantastic AVR for my needs and Dirac Live was easy to set up. The sound is fuller now with my 5.1 setup. I'm very limited with the room I'm in, couch against the wall etc.

Top Bottom