Pioneer Elite Makes Massive Statement with New Flagship Receiver, VSX-LX805

full?d=1678798123.jpg

(March 14, 2023) The all-new VSX-LX805 is a different animal from Elite products that hit the market in 2021, largely because it’s the first to have Premium Audio Co.’s influence and input throughout the development process. Standing as Elite's new flagship model, the VSX-LX805 is a dream machine that satisfies a lengthy wishlist of must-have items, at least from the perspective of the North American enthusiast crowd.

Need proof? Here are a few highlights:
  • Compatibility with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Auro-3D, and IMAX Enhanced? Check
  • Ability to run a 7.1.4 immersive array without the need for an external amp? Check
  • Dirac Live Full calibration suite without the need to upgrade? Check
  • Dual independent subwoofer outputs? Check
  • Access to Dirac Bass Management? Check
  • High-powered amp output? Check
  • Compatibility with Dolby Atmos Music? Check
  • Multiple HDMI 2.1 inputs with 40Gbps? Check
  • Multi-channel Pre-Outs? Check
  • Phono input? Yup... Check
And, the list goes on…

The LX805 is locked and loaded with nearly every feature one could want, and the price ($2,999 US MAP) is right on target. Those two facts reaffirm what Integra’s late February reveal established: the development and marketing teams at Premium Audio Co. are listening to its buying base and taking action.

This latest flagship isn’t a retread, it’s a complete rebuild both inside and out. Look closely and you’ll find a new chassis better designed to suppress noise, fine-tuned circuit paths, a newly designed symmetrical amplifier with custom capacitors rated at 18,000uF, and custom fan-shaped heatsinks. You’ll also find the latest generation of ESS ES9026 384kHz / 32-bit DACs, stereo XLR outputs for use with an external amp, matching XLR inputs for high-quality stereo sources, and enough power (150W FTC) generated by a new AB amp to drive reasonably thirsty speakers.

Beyond giving owners access to the market's most content-prevalent immersive technologies, Auro-3D and its upmixing capabilities, along with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and other common upmixers, are included. It also ships with Roon Ready onboard (set to be activated with a firmware update on 9/23) for the highest possible resolution of playback while using Roon.

With Dirac Live Full shipping loaded and engaged, owners have access to high-level room correction capabilities out of the box. For those looking for a streamlined experience, Dirac calibration can be performed using the included microphone and the Dirac app. And for those buyers that want to take tuning a step further, a USB microphone and PC/Mac processing can be brought into the fold. Of course, let's not forget about Dirac's highly desirable Bass Control module, which can be purchased for a fee ($349, single sub; $499 multi-sub).

For those buyers less concerned about Dirac, MCACC is still included to make set-up as simple as possible.

On the HDMI front, the receiver carries six HDMI 2.1 inputs with full 8K 40Gbps performance. That means access to Auto Low Latency Mode, Variable Refresh Rate, eARC, passthrough of Dolby Vision, HDR 10+, BT. 2020, compatibility with HDCP 2.3, and more.

As far as we can tell, the only wishlist item not satisfied is the use of Class D amplifier technology. And while there’s a solid argument to be made for sticking with an AB topology going forward, Premium Audio Co. hasn’t completely shut the door on a return of a Class D AVR in the future. In fact, I'm feeling more confident than ever that we might see its return sooner than we think.

The VSX-LX805 is currently scheduled to hit the market in the next 4-6 weeks. We’ll update this article as more information becomes available.

full?d=1678800247.jpg

full?d=1678800247.jpg

full?d=1678800247.jpg

full?d=1678800247.jpg

full?d=1678800247.jpg

Last edited:

ivo.f.doma

The Integra 8.4 is only $200 more expensive and has 3XLR outputs, subwoofer outputs for both zones 2 and 3, more Trigger outputs, and usually more sophisticated software, such as subwoofer crossover frequencies for each pair of speakers.
In my opinion, Integra is a better product for the money.

It seems according to the manual that they fixed the crossover settings.
"Set individual cutoff frequencies for each speaker channel.
You can set from 40 Hz with reference to the crossover
frequency for each speaker."

Last edited:

dlaloum

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Integra DTR 70.4 / Crown XLS2500
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1
Center Channel Speaker
Anthony Gallo Reference AV Center
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H
I believe the DLBC multisub licence is US$399 (and not $499...)

Looking forward to some bench tests.... would love to know whether the amps are as promising as they seem for low impedance speakers...

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I’ll confirm that license costs… hang tight

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Dirac Live Bass Control upgrade costs, confirmed:

Single sub: $349

Multi subs - $499

David Ector

As far as we can tell, the only wishlist item not satisfied is the use of Class D amplifier technology. And while there’s a solid argument to be made for sticking with an AB topology going forward, Premium Audio Co. hasn’t completely shut the door on a return of a Class D AVR in the future. In fact, I'm feeling more confident than ever that we might see its return sooner than we think.

Is it a premonition inspired by hope?
Or have you actually received information that there is still something in the pipeline for this year?

I follow it from Europe and have been waiting for something new / available since 2020, as the SC-LX904 has hardly been available here in recent years and in the meantime it lacks the specs you describe above as the wish list.

With a home theater setup in the living room, a good quality class-D is still interesting because you don't always listen to everyday content at full power. At that time, the higher efficiency is really welcome in terms of energy consumption.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Is it a premonition inspired by hope?
Or have you actually received information that there is still something in the pipeline for this year?

I follow it from Europe and have been waiting for something new / available since 2020, as the SC-LX904 has hardly been available here in recent years and in the meantime it lacks the specs you describe above as the wish list.

With a home theater setup in the living room, a good quality class-D is still interesting because you don't always listen to everyday content at full power. At that time, the higher efficiency is really welcome in terms of energy consumption.
Not inspired by hope… I asked Pioneer in their pre-launch media session about the potential for a Class D return. Their answer wasn’t specific, but it certainly indicated that it’s either potentially going to happen or is in the conversation.

No timeframe, tho. Could be this fall… could be two years down the road. Your guess is as good as mine.

Takeaway: They are talking about it… possibly it’s in development.

dsnyder0cnn

As an Emotiva RMC-1L owner, I'm tempted by this new Pioneer. The Emotiva has been a disaster from day one with unreliable HDMI switching, sound dropouts, and poor interactive performance. The only thing the RMC-1L has going for it is that, when the stars align, it sounds terrific. The only thing missing for me on this flagship Pioneer is balanced outputs for the subs. However, I could work around that.

Now to find someone who would be willing to take this hunk-of-junk Emotiva off of my hands without me taking too much of a bath on what I paid for it. :-|

Thanks for the post, @Todd Anderson . This is the first time I've been excited after reading about an AVR in a very long time.

ivo.f.doma

As an Emotiva RMC-1L owner, I'm tempted by this new Pioneer. The Emotiva has been a disaster from day one with unreliable HDMI switching, sound dropouts, and poor interactive performance. The only thing the RMC-1L has going for it is that, when the stars align, it sounds terrific. The only thing missing for me on this flagship Pioneer is balanced outputs for the subs. However, I could work around that.

Now to find someone who would be willing to take this hunk-of-junk Emotiva off of my hands without me taking too much of a bath on what I paid for it. :-|

Thanks for the post, @Todd Anderson . This is the first time I've been excited after reading about an AVR in a very long time.
Buy an Integra 8.4 that has sub XLR outputs

JCAV

More  
Pioneer Elite SC-LX904
Main Amp
Parasound 5250
Computer Audio
Lenovo T450
DAC
Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro
Pioneer Elite BDP-85FD
Front Speakers
B&W DM 604 S2
Center Channel Speaker
B&W LCR6 S2
Surround Speakers
B&W DM 601 S2
Subwoofers
B&W ASW-2000
Video Display Device
Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-101HD
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
Streaming Equipment
AppleTV 4K
Streaming Subscriptions
Amazon Prime Video
Other Equipment
Pioneer Elite CLD-95 Laserdisc Player, Pioneer Elite PD-F17 CD Player, Debut Carbon DC Turntable, Sangean HDT-X1 HD Radio Tuner
@Todd Anderson Hi Todd. Just curious, but do you happen to know if Pioneer is moving away from the distinction between the two tiers of Elite receivers they have previously gone to market with - the flagship "SC" series and the lower tier and lower cost "VSX" series? If the VSX-LX805 will go for around $3K, that was the price range of the last round of SC series receivers (i.e. the SC-LX904). This new VSX-LX805 model seems to fall more in the range of the SC series based on its initial feature and specs.

Thanks!

dlaloum

More  
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H
@Todd Anderson Hi Todd. Just curious, but do you happen to know if Pioneer is moving away from the distinction between the two tiers of Elite receivers they have previously gone to market with - the flagship "SC" series and the lower tier and lower cost "VSX" series? If the VSX-LX805 will go for around $3K, that was the price range of the last round of SC series receivers (i.e. the SC-LX904). This new VSX-LX805 model seems to fall more in the range of the SC series based on its initial feature and specs.

Thanks!
I always thought the key distinction was the SC was Class D...
Hence the LX805 being a VSX model is Class AB...

If they release an LX905 (there were rumours about a year back... but who knows!) - it might possibly be an SC-LX905... it was mentioned on a DTS playfi "certified compatibility" listing as LX905 only

If they were to do a Flagship AVR with more powered channels than the LX805, it would be hard to fit it into the chassis, given how large and full the current chassis is... but a Class D version, perhaps using SMPS for the power supply, could fit more channels into the same space, so who knows !!!

We have yet to see the flagship chassis from any of the sibling brands.

ivo.f.doma

Pioneer sometimes used to explain the model designations, and SC stood for Separate Chassis. I guess this meant that the amplifiers had their own and shielded chassis. Because physically it was all housed in a completely separate tin box with its own fan located under the HDMI boards.

dlaloum

More  
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H
Pioneer sometimes used to explain the model designations, and SC stood for Separate Chassis. I guess this meant that the amplifiers had their own and shielded chassis. Because physically it was all housed in a completely separate tin box with its own fan located under the HDMI boards.
Which may have been required for shielding from the high frequency EMI of the Class D circuitry?

theetjuh

More  
Onkyo TX-RZ70
Sony UBP-X800M2
Front Speakers
Q Acoustics 2050i
Center Channel Speaker
Q Acoustics 2000Ci
Surround Speakers
Q Acoustics 2020i
Front Height Speakers
Q Acoustics QI65C
Rear Height Speakers
Q Acoustics QI65C
Subwoofers
BK Elec XXLS400-DF
Video Display Device
LG 77G1
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
Vero V (OSMC), Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019)
Other Equipment
Sony PlayStation 5
@Todd Anderson could you check if logging in with ciuser/ciuser within the webui works on the LX805?
I hear from some people that it gives a blank page.

Thanks in advance!
Looking forward to your review!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I haven't checked, but it's on the list!

Top Bottom