Parts Express Angled, Locking, and Stacking Banana Plug – A Tale of Three Banana Plugs – A Review

Manufacturer & Model
Parts Express – Angled, Locking, and Stacking Banana Plug – PN 091-3608
MSRP
$22.96 - 2 Pair
Link
https://www.parts-express.com/Stacking-Banana-Plug-with-Dual-Set-Screws-Poly-Carbonate-Sh-091-3608
Highlights
The locking pin separates the plug, increasing the retention force
Stackable for use with bi-wired speakers
Angled for lower wire strain
Color-coded polycarbonate shells
Dual hex screws for maximum cable retention
24 karat gold plated contact surfaces
Milled Solid Brass
Summary
These locking, expanding, and stackable banana plug connectors are manufactured with color-coded polycarbonate shells for quick polarity identification and protection from possible short circuits. The angled body allows for stacking multiple connectors atop each other and lower wire strain. The connectors are milled from solid brass and plated with 24 karat gold. Each connector features two hex-head setscrews that hold the speaker wire firmly in place in the wire barrel to create a solid connection. Integral to the design of these banana plugs is a central spike, driven by the insulated thumbscrew, which spreads the banana plug tines. This action firmly locks the banana plug into 5-way binding posts, banana jacks, and stacked banana plugs for a worry-free connection. The connectors accept up to 8 AWG wires.
full?d=1655573912.jpg

The Review
If you are anything like me, and opinions vary on whether you should be, you are always looking about, trying to find better ways of doing things. One of the many things I have investigated in the past with an eye toward increased utility, effectivity, and efficiency has been banana plugs. Yes, banana plugs.

Especially lately, with all the speaker and electronics reviews I have had the opportunity to do, I have been looking at more reliable and effective ways of swapping out equipment quickly and safely.

But even though this is ostensibly a review about the Parts Express Angled, Locking, and Stacking Banana Plug, it is really a tale of THREE locking banana plugs.

In my quest for the perfect banana plug, I have tried several, both the “standard” and the locking variety, and I’ve found that I like the security of the locking type of banana plug in my system. In this short review, I will focus on the Parts Express banana plug and compare that plug to two others I currently have in my system. The three banana plugs used in this mini-comparison are,

1. Parts Express Angled, Locking and Stacking banana plug - $22.96 for two pair
  2. GLS inline locking banana plug - $35.97 for ten pair
  3. Blue Jeans Cable inline locking banana plug (manufacturer unknown) - $7.25 for one pair
First, the review, and then a bit of commentary and comparison.

Construction and Design
The Parts Express plugs are constructed of solid milled brass plated with 24 karat gold. A magnet confirmed they are indeed non-ferrous. The brass is then covered with a polycarbonate shell to protect against the possibility of catastrophic short circuits. The locking mechanism is capped with “color-coded” polycarbonate caps in red and black.

full?d=1655573912.jpg

The caps are press-fitted to a central threaded and tapered brass “spike” that extends into the split ferrule of the banana plug. As the cap is twisted, the spike expands the ferrule, “locking” the banana plug into place. The hole in the twist-cap is the entrance to the milled-in socket in the “spike” that allows additional banana plugs to be conveniently stacked onto the connector.

The plugs can accept up to an 8 AWG wire in the machined barrel, and the wire is held securely by two bass Allen-head setscrews. A tiny Allen wrench is supplied with each pair of plugs. If using smaller than twelve-gauge wire, you will have to double, or even triple fold, the wire-end, and tin it into a solid mass to ensure the setscrews get sufficient purchase on the wire for a reliable connection.

In operation, the plugs work very well. The thumbscrew cap expands the ferrule to a tight, very tight, grip in any banana jack I tried. The plug ferrule, when torqued down, was tight to the point of not turning in the barrel of the jack.

The angle of the plug was well implemented and provided a reasonable reduction of right-angle stain and downward pull on the wires where they exit the plug.

So how did the Parts Express Banana Plug compare with my older locking banana plugs?

Locking Mechanism –
The locking mechanism of the Parts Express plug was much more positive than the Blue Jeans Cable Plug or the GLS Plug.

The locking mechanism of both the inline plugs was similar in design. However, the design implementation was much better on the Blue Jeans Cables plug than on the GLS plug. The Blue Jeans Plugs are MUCH SMOOTHER in operation, and I could easily hand-tighten to a firm connection. The GLS plug was very tough to hand-tighten, requiring me to grip the end of the plug to keep it stationary while rotating the threaded shell that pushes against the locking mechanism.

full?d=1655573912.jpg

Materials - All three plugs claim brass as the primary material. The GLS plug is the only plug that specifies the type of bass (High-Grade H59-1). The Parts Express plug is the only plug to claim the body of the plug is milled from solid brass. However, the construction of all three banana plugs is solid milled brass in the body of the plug, and it is the only construction technique that makes sense in this scenario. The shells on the Blue Jeans Cables and GLS plugs must be steel, with both of those plugs exhibiting some magnetic attraction (ferrous properties).

The brass setscrews on the Parts Express plugs use an Allen head design, while the GLS and Blue Jeans Cables plugs use a tiny, slotted design intended to be used with a flat blade screwdriver. In my opinion, the Allen head approach is FAR SUPERIOR to the slotted head design allowing the setscrews to be much more tightly embedded into the wire for better connection. The Allen head design also dramatically reduces the chance of damaging the screw head or the screwdriver itself. I can testify this is a valid concern, having done it “sooooo” many times in the past!

full?d=1655573912.jpg

Utility – The easy winner is the Parts Express plug. The angled design acts as a strain relief, the polycarbonate shell protects from short circuit events, and the ability to stack connectors is a big plus. With my heavier wires (10 gauge), I have insulated the positive connectors of the Blue Jeans or GLS plugs with a bit of shrink wrap. With the lighter gauge wires, there is less possibility of the weight of the cables pulling the plug shells together, so I forewent the shrink wrap coat.

full?d=1655573912.jpg

full?d=1655573912.jpg

Blue Jeans Cable Locking Banana Plug stacked on the Parts Express Angled, Locking and Stacking Banana Plug

Summary and Closing Thoughts
Is there anything the Parts Express Angled, Locking, and Stacking Banana Plug does wrong or could improve on? Any concerns or nit-picks?

Nothing major that I could see! There were only two small, very personal nit-picks I could dredge up.

1. The caps are supposed to be color-coded. Indeed, they are. Unfortunately, for a somewhat colorblind (red/green) user like me, I had difficulty decerning the red from the black in almost any lighting condition. As a workaround, I wrapped a piece of red vinyl tape (I can see bright red or red in large enough swaths) around the barrel of the positive lead.
  2. The plastic tensioning caps felt flimsy when I first torqued them down. So, I was initially hesitant, fearing breaking the cap. But my fears were unfounded, and even when I tried to over-tighten or intentionally break them, I could not!

So, there you have it! Below is my rating for the different plugs based on what I consider the most important criteria.

Positivity of Connection and Locking Mechanism Rating (Retention)
1st Place - Parts Express
2nd Place - Blue Jeans Cable
3rd Place – GLS Audio

Overall Construction

1st Place - Parts Express
2nd Place – Blue Jeans Cable
3rd Place – GLS Audio

Utility

1st Place – Parts Express
2nd Place – Blue Jeans Cable
3rd Place – GLS Audio

Functionality

1st Place (Tied) Parts Express and Blue Jeans Cable
2nd Place – GLS Audio

If we look purely at cost, ignoring the other categories, then the GLS Audio Locking Banana Plug is the clear winner at $3.51 a pair. The following cost leader is the Blue Jeans Cables Locking Banana Plug at $7.25 a pair.

However, should cost be the final determiner? I don’t think it should be! Functionality and utility carry far more weight on my scorecard than cost (in this case!). And, if that is the selection criteria you would follow as well, the Parts Express Angled, Locking, and Stacking Banana Plug is the clear winner, with the Blue Jeans Cable Locking Banana Plug scoring right behind it in terms of pure functionality and the GLS Audio plug a somewhat distant third.

Let me know if you have found the “Holy Grail” of banana plugs. I’m always interested in a better way to do things!

Cheers!

full?d=1655573912.jpg

Coy Ramsey

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha Aventage RX-A660 AVR
Other Amp
4 Yamaha WX50 amps for MusicCast distributed audio
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony X700
Front Speakers
Elac Debut 2.0 BS5.2
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra center to replace Elac Debut 2.0 CC5.2
Surround Speakers
Polk in-wall
Rear Height Speakers
Polk in-ceiling
Subwoofers
RSL Speedwoofer 10s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Episode ceiling speakers for 4 distributed zones
Video Display Device
Samsung
Screen
65"
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony
Streaming Subscriptions
Spotify Prem, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video
Other Equipment
Episode in-ceiling for distributed audio into 4 zones
Nice review. Pics are very helpful. So far, since I haven't changed anything in 2.5 yrs, I just use bare wire connections but banana plugs are interesting !

sfm2476

Registered
More  
Onkyo TX-NR838
Main Amp
Monolith 7x
Computer Audio
Beats
Sony BDP-S270 Blu-ray, Technics SL-PD8 CD Changer
Front Speakers
JBL 590
Center Channel Speaker
JBL 520C
Surround Speakers
JBL 580
Surround Back Speakers
JBL 530
Subwoofers
2- SVS SB2000
miniiDSP DDRC-24, nanoAVR-DL
Video Display Device
SONY 55"
Streaming Equipment
Roku Ultra, Firestick
Streaming Subscriptions
Plex, Amazon, Netflix
Other Equipment
SONY MDR-10RBT, XB950BT, ZX770, WH-MX1000xm4, QNAP TS451+, QNAP TS-653D
I've used these for both speaker and receiver speaker wire connections and have found them very handy. Color coded, stackable, and no-tool firm connections for both wires connected to them and the banana plugs themselves, even when stacked ($6.95 for a two pack). Admittedly, Radio Shack used to carry a slightly beefier variation, but these work well just the same. Also handy for one setup where I need to be able to easily disconnect the speaker wires mid-run (I know; the horror! - not to worry; that's a garage setup).One advantage to these is that the speaker wire connects very close to the banana jack end of the plug so the weight of the wires is supported nearly as close to the back of the receiver/speaker as possible reducing the strain on the jacks that the plugs fit into.

Attachments

• Dual Banana Plugs.jpg
    Dual Banana Plugs.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Nice review. Pics are very helpful. So far, since I haven't changed anything in 2.5 yrs, I just use bare wire connections but banana plugs are interesting !
Hi Coy!
As a reviewer, banana plugs are the bomb for quick and secure changeout of speakers and electronics.

When your system loadout is stable then I would agree that bare, tinned, or pin terminated wire is the best, most secure way of connection with the most contact surface!

Thanks for reading!

Tom

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
I've used these for both speaker and receiver speaker wire connections and have found them very handy. Color coded, stackable, and no-tool firm connections for both wires connected to them and the banana plugs themselves, even when stacked ($6.95 for a two pack). Admittedly, Radio Shack used to carry a slightly beefier variation, but these work well just the same. Also handy for one setup where I need to be able to easily disconnect the speaker wires mid-run (I know; the horror! - not to worry; that's a garage setup).
I‘ve tried various versions of these banana plugs with decent results. The convenience can’t be beat!

ebrumbaugh

More  
Denon AVR-3700H
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3
Other Amp
PremaLuna Evo 300 Tube Integrated Amp for 2-chnl
Computer Audio
iTunes via AppleTV 4K
DAC
Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC
Sony UBP-X800M2
Front Speakers
SVS Ultra Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra Center
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelves
Surround Back Speakers
Polk Audio LSi M702 f/x
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio MC80 in ceiling
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio MC80 in ceiling
Subwoofers
Dual SVS PB-3000 Pros
Polk RTi A9s / GoldenEar Triton Fives & Aon 2s
Video Display Device
Sony XR-77A80J
Streaming Equipment
AppleTV 4K, StreamTV
Streaming Subscriptions
Netflix, AppleTV, Discovery+, Prime, Curiosity Stream, HBO Max, Hulu, StreamTV, Qobuz, and Apple Music
Other Equipment
Valencia Tuscany XL theater seating;
Nice review, thank you. I'm switching my home theater and 2-channel systems over to the Parts Express angled/locking/stacking banana plugs. While I like the "straight-stick" banana plugs that I used on the cables I made, these look to be much better, and definitely value added.

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks Ed!

Sometimes it’s the little things in the audio life that matter so much! :cool: I’m sure you will happy with these plugs!

T

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I like this review, so much great info... I've resorted to buying factory terminate speaker wire from Monoprice. I'll add a photo to this thread when I'm down in my workshop later today... but the terminated ends have a screw-on metal cap that ALWAYS falls off. I've slowly been adding blue loctite to every cap (which stops the problem from happening), but until that's done the metal caps have a nasty habit of falling off and getting lost. Will drive you a tad nutty!

I've tried the GLS style locking plugs in the past... also found them super hard to hand tighten. Those were a one-time buy!

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
I like this review, so much great info... I've resorted to buying factory terminate speaker wire from Monoprice. I'll add a photo to this thread when I'm down in my workshop later today... but the terminated ends have a screw-on metal cap that ALWAYS falls off. I've slowly been adding blue loctite to every cap (which stops the problem from happening), but until that's done the metal caps have a nasty habit of falling off and getting lost. Will drive you a tad nutty!

I've tried the GLS style locking plugs in the past... also found them super hard to hand tighten. Those were a one-time buy!
Hi Todd,

Thanks!

Id like to see the pics of the Monoprice terminations when you get to it!

I agree on the GLS tightening issue. I had to finally grab the back end with needle-nose pliers to hold it while I turned the shell to tighten it down… awkward. The BJ plugs operate smoothly and Are easily hand-tightened despite what appears to be a similar design.

I think I will stick with the well thought out Parts Express plugs for now, eventually replacing all, or most, of my banana plugs.

T

lemoncadillac

Hi
I have been using a version of these or 15 years+. I have owned and still own every make and model available. This is my go to style. Double set screws and the angle relieves the stress of heavy gauge speaker wire. 1 precaution, they make a version of these that do not have the clear plastic insulating shell. Avoid this version. To easy to cause a short without that clear housing. I actually have a brand new set of these 45 Degree Locking Banana Plug Rhodium Plated sitting on my stairs for a new install of a Sunfire TGA-7401 THEATER GRAND AMPLIFIER 7 channel amplifier. I'm going to replace al of the gold model I have now. Also makes for a clean looking install also.
45 Degree Locking Banana Plug Rhodium Plated.jpg

My 2 cents
Lemon

Attachments

• IMG_2724.jpg
    IMG_2724.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 64

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Hi
I have been using a version of these or 15 years+. I have owned and still own every make and model available. This is my go to style. Double set screws and the angle relieves the stress of heavy gauge speaker wire. 1 precaution, they make a version of these that do not have the clear plastic insulating shell. Avoid this version. To easy to cause a short without that clear housing. I actually have a brand new set of these 45 Degree Locking Banana Plug Rhodium Plated sitting on my stairs for a new install of a Sunfire TGA-7401 THEATER GRAND AMPLIFIER 7 channel amplifier. I'm going to replace al of the gold model I have now. Also makes for a clean looking install also. View attachment 53155

My 2 cents
Lemon
Nice looking plugs! Who makes these and where to buy?

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Hi
I have been using a version of these or 15 years+. I have owned and still own every make and model available. This is my go to style. Double set screws and the angle relieves the stress of heavy gauge speaker wire. 1 precaution, they make a version of these that do not have the clear plastic insulating shell. Avoid this version. To easy to cause a short without that clear housing. I actually have a brand new set of these 45 Degree Locking Banana Plug Rhodium Plated sitting on my stairs for a new install of a Sunfire TGA-7401 THEATER GRAND AMPLIFIER 7 channel amplifier. I'm going to replace al of the gold model I have now. Also makes for a clean looking install also. View attachment 53155

My 2 cents
Lemon
Thanks!

jschwender

More  
Front Speakers
Nubert digital pro
Philips dss940
Nice review. Would be nice to see some conductive measurement on these. I bet the parts-express plugs are by far the best. The screw geared spreader clamp has best chances to result in a hery high area pressure, which is the one and only parameter for contact resistance. So this is not just a locking mechanism against accidental fall out, it enables high pressure built up combined with low actuation friction. Unlike in other detachable high current contacts, the high force is mostly reduced for plugging. This way the wear to the coating is minimal. Kind of brilliant.

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
I think you are correct! The mechanism that spreads the split ferrule does so in a very positive way.

BarrRobot

Registered
If using smaller than twelve-gauge wire, you will have to double, or even triple fold, the wire-end, and tin it into a solid mass to ensure the setscrews get sufficient purchase on the wire for a reliable connection.
NO! NO! NO! Don't 'tin' the wires. Solder flows under pressure, and in time the contact force will reduce, leading to an unreliable connection. Copper on its own has a degree of resilience that will maintain the contact pressure when the screw is tightened.

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
NO! NO! NO! Don't 'tin' the wires. Solder flows under pressure, and in time the contact force will reduce, leading to an unreliable connection. Copper on its own has a degree of resilience that will maintain the contact pressure when the screw is tightened.
I stand corrected! My ”old school” notion that tinning the wires is a good thing has apparently been now posited as something that should no longer be done in a pressure/crimped scenario.

Thank you for your imput!

Top Bottom