Panasonic UB820/UB9000 w/HCX video processor & dynamic conversion adjustment

Discussion in 'UHD / Blu-ray Players / CD Players' started by Robert Zohn, May 2, 2018.

1. Robert Zohn

Robert Zohn Active Member
    VIP Supporter

Home Page:
    Just received our 1st 820UB. Panasonic USA received a few units for review and included me as the only retailer with a sample! Here's my very early impressions:

- Very nice all metal build quality. All connection ports are high-grade and the overall fit and finish is very good. *Note, not up to the build quality of OPPO's players, but better than most others.

- Exceptional video quality. You can see the advantages of Panasonics well respected video and chroma processing. The HCX Hollywood tuned processor renders the images from UHD/HDR BD discs beautifully.

- Lots a very cool set-up configurations, see some of my pics below, with more to come.

- Love the HDR Optimizer controls. I was able to set the UB820 up on a few TVs with varied peak luminance capacity and it's easy to dial in the best HDR value for each TV's ability.

[​IMG]

I'll be doing more testing, including Dolby Vision HDR over HDMI for Sony X1 Extreme TVs and HDR10+ (once a disc comes out) as I get more time with this player, but for now I can tell everyone with confidence this is a very well engineered advanced UHD/HDR BD player.

We set the price at $499, double boxed and delivered Nationwide.

Here's a few pics, with more to come:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's our dedicated page with more detailed information.

typ44q likes this.
  2. bkeeler10

bkeeler10 Senior Member

Good deal. Now that Oppo has decided to call it quits on disc spinners, this UB820 is at the top of the heap for me. Would consider the Oppo, but concerned about long-term support. Just wish they weren't quite so expensive.

I believe I read that this unit will be DLNA compatible. Do you know if it will play SACD, and be able to stream audio and video content from storage devices on the local network?

3. Robert Zohn

VIP Supporter

Home Page:
    Yes to streaming from devices on your network, including Hi Res files, no for SACD support.

4. JStewart

JStewart Active Member
    Supporter

Is the hdr tone mapping on a slider like the 900?
    I have the 900 and even with custom hdr gamma curves for the pj that slider is invaluable because of inconsistencies in the source materials. Without custom gamma it is essential.
    Kept the oppo 103 for sacd and dvd-a playback.

5. Sonnie

Sonnie Senior Admin
    Staff Member

Nice... been wondering with either Sony or Panasonic would really step up, and that's not a bad price at all.

6. Robert Zohn

VIP Supporter

Home Page:
    Check out this video from Vincent in the UK about Panasonic's UB9000. The video section of the UB820 is the same as the UB9000 so everything he says applies to the UB820.

phillihp23 likes this.
  7. Robert Zohn

VIP Supporter

Home Page:
    I was able to move up my 1st allocation of UB820s to third week of July! Supply is constrained, but we still have about 20 available from the 1st allotment with our 2nd shipment coming in early-mid August.

8. alanc

alanc New Member

Hello I'm new here. I am currently with using UB900 on a Panasonic vt25 and tried the HRD/SDR conversion with mixed feelings about it. To me not much better than a regular blu ray on this non HDR set. Is the 820 superior in this regard on HRD/SDR conversion? I love this TV and keep it primarily for 3D but also want the best possible blu ray player for it. Another benefit of player is the multi out that I use with my older processor. I'm pleased with audio section of UB900. Do you know if UB820 uses same audio section or did they cut costs like some newer models do?

9. Robert Zohn

VIP Supporter

Home Page:
    HDR/SDR conversion works very well on the UB820. I can't say if it's better than the UB900. The UB820 audio section is excellent and it's definitely not a downgrade from the UB900.

Here's a new overview of the UB820 from Flatpanelshd.

We were able to increase our 1st UB820 allocation so we're back taking orders for the end of July launch!

bkeeler10 likes this.
  10. Robert Zohn

VIP Supporter

Home Page:
    Busy day at Value Electronics! Our 1st allocation of Panasonic's new UB820s arrived and we double boxed and shipped every order.

[​IMG]

bkeeler10 likes this.
  11. bkeeler10

bkeeler10 Senior Member

Hi Robert,

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I ordered one of these from you a couple weeks ago, awaiting your new allocation. Are they still supposed to be in this week (mid January), as stated on the website? Thanks.

Robert Zohn likes this.
  12. Robert Zohn

VIP Supporter

Home Page:
    Our Panasonic UB820 allocation is arriving Tuesday, Jan. 22nd and all orders will be double boxed and shipped to our clients the same day.

Thanks for your Patience!

13. bkeeler10

bkeeler10 Senior Member

Thank you sir! I assume that means it wouldn't arrive to 84087 until the following week. Excited to get it though. I will be using it with my JVC DLS-RS440 projector.

Robert Zohn likes this.