Output not giving more than 2 options

stefiano

Registered
Hi there. I am very new to REW and i'm using the manual by AustinJerry to get everything set up. But I am stuck at setting up the preferences tab for REW. AJ has recommended that in the soundcard tab of the preferences section, the output should be Display audio OUTPUT 1.1. but when i try, the only options i'm getting is the below:

can anyone tell me how to get the other options to show?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You will need to enable the HDMI device in the ASIO4All control panel then press Reload on the REW preferences so it shows up. The device may only be available when connected to the receiver. See step 10 onwards, page 36 of Jerry's current guide.

stefiano

Registered
Thanks John for such a speedy response. I am aware of those steps and followed them. Unfortunately, nothing happened. I got both the UMIK and the realtek HD device to be highlighted and have the play button next to them but still nothing.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Realtek HD is usually the computer's on-board audio. What does your ASIO4All control panel show?

stefiano

Registered
Is this something that I can go into without REW? I have only viewed ASIO through the REW asio control panel and in there, I can see the umik and the realhd audio. Is there something else I should be seeing?

I apologise if I'm being a pest, I'm just not au fait REW and for this reason is why I never wanted to go back to it since my days with it 6 years ago. I was daunted by how "complex" it was.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If your HDMI output is connected to something you should see a corresponding device in the ASIO4All list. The ASIO control panel is from ASIO4All, REW just asks ASIO4All to display it. REW has no role in what you are seeing in ASIO4All so you can certainly deal with it without involving REW.

stefiano

Registered
Ok, I understand exactly what you are saying. It means that asio4all is only recognizing the CPU speakers. How do I get it to recognize the marantz speakers?

And what you are saying about recognition is true because when I try to run a sweep, the pink noise comes through the CPU speakers.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Do you have an HDMI cable from your computer to the Marantz? Do you have an NVidia graphics card? ASIO4All seems to have problems with NVidia cards. I can't offer much help with ASIO4All, sorry.

stefiano

Registered
You are very correct. It's an Nvidia Card that the CPU uses. Smh.

robertkjr3d

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Onkyo TX-NR686
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Home Theater PC
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
KLH
Surround Back Speakers
Pioneer Vintage
Subwoofers
Infinity
I'm believe I'm having the same problem. And I've been pulling my hair out for like days!!!

I have voicemeeter installed. So I I can either get it (on the output portion) to find the 8-channels with voicemeeter outputs. Or it will find the UMIK mic as an input, just like his picture: But then I only get the two blank output options above.

Never both at the same time. Its one or the other. I messed around with the ASIO4ALL control panel. And of course I've tried your 'Java' mode. It seems to work better, but I only get 'L' and 'R'. I can never test the 'Center' and 'Surround' channels.

So I also have 'Equalizer APO' installed. So a suggestion was made to config to 'Copy: L=C C=L' but that did not work either, for some reason.

I'm left with switching the cables. I don't want to do that.

Note: I have a AMD-Radeon HD 7800 Graphics Card I don't believe that uses NVidia

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Java drivers on Windows only support stereo. I have submitted an enhancement request to address that, but it has been that way for a long time. ASIO only supports a single device for both output and input. The workaround for that is an application that creates an ASIO wrapper around multiple devices, like ASIO4All or FlexASIO.

stefiano

Registered
But I am using asio4all and I assume Robert is as well. Thing is, if I cant get past this point, I wont be able to make any measurements because the output sound is coming from the CPU speakers as opposed to the actual speaker set up.

robertkjr3d

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Onkyo TX-NR686
Home Theater PC
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
KLH
Surround Back Speakers
Pioneer Vintage
Subwoofers
Infinity
But I am using asio4all and I assume Robert is as well. Thing is, if I cant get past this point, I wont be able to make any measurements because the output sound is coming from the CPU speakers as opposed to the actual speaker set up.
Stefiano... You might try installing voicemeeter. Because it can route your sound to multiple places at the same time. As to my problem. I might try FlexASIO, as i've tried ASIO4ALL, and that's not working.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
FlexASIO does not appear to have ASIO4All's Nvidia problems, but it has no user interface and must be configured via a file. The instructions are on the FlexASIO GitHub site. You can also measure the left and right speakers by using the Java drivers (potentially centre as well depending on the selected surround mode, by sending the same signal to left and right) or by connecting the PC's outputs to 7.1 inputs if your receiver has them, albeit that is rather fiddly.

robertkjr3d

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Onkyo TX-NR686
Home Theater PC
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
KLH
Surround Back Speakers
Pioneer Vintage
Subwoofers
Infinity
FlexASIO does not appear to have ASIO4All's Nvidia problems, but it has no user interface and must be configured via a file. The instructions are on the FlexASIO GitHub site. You can also measure the left and right speakers by using the Java drivers (potentially centre as well depending on the selected surround mode, by sending the same signal to left and right) or by connecting the PC's outputs to 7.1 inputs if your receiver has them, albeit that is rather fiddly.
It would seem I'm gonna try FlexASIO. But I didn't understand your 'Java' mode concept. Did really mean swapping the cables to measure the surround channels and center? I just don't wanna do that. I have to some crawling to get to them.

I understand the original-posters problem went even farther in that he could not test the front-L and front-R. I can do that much. Stefiano: FlexASIO might be your answer as well.

As stated though: I do not have an Nvidia. Yes the original poster does. This is not just an Nvidia problem. This is more widespread.

Last edited:

robertkjr3d

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Onkyo TX-NR686
Home Theater PC
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
KLH
Surround Back Speakers
Pioneer Vintage
Subwoofers
Infinity
Call me a dummy... and I know this software is donation-ware. But why is it difficult to route sound to multi-channel devices? Why do we need to install-3rd party tools?
I have written applications that do this myself. Is it because of the precision involved? Or something. So that we are able to get the actual data to be precise?

I'm answering my own question. The logo in the corner is Java. Like a JRE app. That's what you said. (kinda). Those are not given the same access to the system, like .NET applications or something lower level. Or C++.

Last edited:

robertkjr3d

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Onkyo TX-NR686
Home Theater PC
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
KLH
Surround Back Speakers
Pioneer Vintage
Subwoofers
Infinity
After a lengthy time of setting up with FlexASIO. And don't forget to reboot. I did get sound to come out of the Center-Channel. However so far you have to crank the volume too loud. In the measuring screen: REW keeps complaining that the SPL reading is too low. I wonder if Flex is not sending it over right or weird. I'm tried Direct-sound this morning. I can try the WASAPI mode. So this morning I'm still yet to measure anything. I'll work on it another day.

You gotta create the FlexASIO.toml file and don't forget to create the FlexASIO.log file. It tells you what is wrong (and/or right), which happened to me many times.

My toml file currently looks like this: (make sure you get the exact spacing and spelling, or it will blow out in the log. That got me many times).

[input]
device = "Microphone (Umik-1 Gain: 18dB )"

[output]
# Select the output device. The name comes from the output of the
# PortAudioDevices program.
device = "VoiceMeeter Input (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO)"

robertkjr3d

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Onkyo TX-NR686
Home Theater PC
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
KLH
Surround Back Speakers
Pioneer Vintage
Subwoofers
Infinity
I was able to get it to work with FlexASIO. I tried switching to WASAPI, but it did not change the issue. I still got 'DB Too low'. I tried using the SPL calibration technique, and matching to my own SPL meter. Cause it was off by like 30 or more db, but that did not seem to help. Finally I cranked the volume up more (held my ears even to do a pink noise test), and got it to say 'volume ok'.

And I was off taking measurements. They seem to look accurate-ish.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Don't use test signal levels that aren't comfortable to listen to. Check for any Windows volume controls in the input path, they will still be active when using an ASIO wrapper.

robertkjr3d

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Onkyo TX-NR686
Home Theater PC
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
KLH
Surround Back Speakers
Pioneer Vintage
Subwoofers
Infinity
Check for any Windows volume controls in the input path, they will still be active when using an ASIO wrapper.
I'm not sure the meaning here. I can turn up the gain even in REW where it says '-12db' to '0', but this also makes the volume higher. The same as making the volume higher on my amp.

I was trying to turn up the gain on the UMIK- mic. I thought that might be the key. But I couldn't find that. But that might also bring in distortion. For some reason when it comes in through the FlexASIO, the gain is Uber-Lower.

robertkjr3d

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Onkyo TX-NR686
Home Theater PC
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
KLH
Surround Back Speakers
Pioneer Vintage
Subwoofers
Infinity
Don't use test signal levels that aren't comfortable to listen to. Check for any Windows volume controls in the input path, they will still be active when using an ASIO wrapper.
I could go into the UMIK cal file and add DB across the board. That's a thought. No one else has ever reported this issue?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The problem is on the input path, not the output path, so making the test signal louder is the wrong way to tackle it. If you open the Windows Sound dialog and select the UMIK on the Recording tab and then Properties you will find the volume control on the Levels tab.

robertkjr3d

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Onkyo TX-NR686
Home Theater PC
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
KLH
Surround Back Speakers
Pioneer Vintage
Subwoofers
Infinity
The problem is on the input path, not the output path, so making the test signal louder is the wrong way to tackle it. If you open the Windows Sound dialog and select the UMIK on the Recording tab and then Properties you will find the volume control on the Levels tab.
I did try that. In my experience changing Mic-Levels does not help. does it? It was in the 20s, and I changed it to the 70s.
[/QUOTE]
I pushed it to 100 and I believe it did work. I also did my rear-channels, and I'm all set. Yeah. I hope Stefiano is able to get going.

Top Bottom