Output going to PC speakers with Java drivers

Niklasmagnus

Registered
Not getting Java performance working any more. I start up pc with my external sound usb connected. If I start YouTube I get sound to the receiver. If I now start REW and use Java as always have done the sound is redirected to pc speakers. But if I change to ASIO the sound goes to receiver. So strange since I have always used Java before and it use to work. And before I have had trouble with ASIO. Any guess on the issue?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
What output device and output have you selected? If you leave them as default you will get whatever device is the default in the OS.

Niklasmagnus

Registered
HI John,

Thanks for helping out. My external sound card is a Behringer UMC22. Everything was working 2 month ago when I last did some measurements.
Did some troubleshooting below. Maybe you can understand what is wrong from that. Or if you want me to test something else?

sound settings.jpg
Test 1: start PC with UMC22 connected, play YouTube. OK
Test 2: start REW (REW_windows-x64_5_20_beta_55), new installed. Play YouTube but no sound. NOK (audio renderer error. restart computer)
audio renderer error.jpg

-> exit REW and reload YouTube page. OK
-> open REW and check preference.
Test 2 check preference.jpg
Test 3: Change output and input to Default device. Close preference. Play Youtube. OK
-> start Generator i REW and play. OK
-> open preference and Check Levels. NOK (please select audio input)
Test 3 check preference.jpg
Test 3 select audio input.jpg
-> quit REW and open it again. Check Levels. Process starts and mic ins recording but no sound. NOK
-> Start Generator but no sound. NOK
-> Start YouTube but not working. NOK (audio renderer error. restart computer)
-> quit REW and reload YouTube and not sound goes to receiver again. OK

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I don't know what could cause that behaviour, Java just uses the Windows audio drivers. Some things to check/try:

• Have you tried using 48 kHz in REW instead of 44.1 kHz?
  • In the Advanced audio properties for the device input and output (open Sound Control Panel under Related Settings on right hand side of Sound settings, selected device, click Properties, go to Advanced tab) are the devices set to allow applications to take exclusive control? If so, try unticking that.
  • Does the default format sample rate on the Advanced tab match the rate you want to use in REW?

Niklasmagnus

Registered
Thanks, I got it to work again. Changed the chosen sample rate in sound card setting from 48 to 44.1 and now it works.
Many thanks.
sound card setting.jpg

Top Bottom