Output Device error running V5.20.7 on mid-2012 Macbook Pro

ziggurcat

Registered
So, I ran into an error I have not seen before:

gqloccl-jpg.jpg

The steps that were taken to get this error were:

• Connect MBP to AVR via minidisplay to HDMI cable
  • Boot REW
  • Connect Umik-1 (click OK to prompt asking if you want to use Umik-1)
  • Go to Preferences
  • Change Output Device from Default Device to HDMI

If I dismiss the dialogue box, it won't let me select any speakers in the dropdown menu underneath the Output Device dropdown. If I connect my laptop to my AVR, boot REW, go into Preferences, and change the output device to HDMI before I connect the Umik-1, I do not get this error.

I'm going to check to see what happens if I connect the Umik-1 before booting REW, and report back in the next while.

Up until now, this error hadn't occurred. Any thoughts? I am running an older MBP (mid-2012), and it's on iOS 10.15.7. I have already verified that things are set to 48kHz in my Audio MIDI Setup.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If I connect my laptop to my AVR, boot REW, go into Preferences, and change the output device to HDMI before I connect the Umik-1, I do not get this error.
Why not just do that then? REW will remember the HDMI selection and apply it automatically when next started, as long as it is connected.

ziggurcat

Registered
Why not just do that then? REW will remember the HDMI selection and apply it automatically when next started, as long as it is connected.

Why should it matter what order you have to connect things when it didn't trigger an error before? If this is a bug, shouldn't it be addressed?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The order shouldn't matter, but it is out of reach of REW. The error is generated by JavaSound's AudioSystem, essentially saying that the HDMI device doesn't exist. However, it is JavaSound's AudioSystem that provides the list of devices in the first place. There was a previous similar report, in that case it looked like it might have been caused by the connected display going to sleep.

ziggurcat

Registered
Thank you very much for this response - would it be safe to assume, then, that changing the Output Device before connecting the Umik is okay to do, and it won't aversely affect any measurements? My main concern was that even though the error wasn't popping up before connecting the Umik that the problem was still, perhaps, occurring without any notification.

Thank you ever so much for your time, and consideration.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The measurements should be fine, if the error were still present it wouldn't be possible to measure.

Top Bottom