Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50
Screen
Elite Screens 100" (powered)
Remote Control
Several Harmony
Streaming Subscriptions
Rogue 99, Rogue ST-90, CI Audio D-200MkII
A brief update on my journey to solve this problem in case anyone else in the forum is going through it. After 18 months of satisfying ownership, my UHD 50 started to randomly go into a half-horizontal screen as follows:

This happened most often when I stopped a movie in Plex to go back to the menu. At that point, the projector would stay like this no matter what I did - even if I disconnected the HDMI, connected a different source, etc. The only solution was a full reset: turn it off and back on. Very irritating. After trying different media boxes and cables (many were quick to suggest that the HDMI cable was not capable, but that turned out not to be the issue) I was about to give up and send the unit in for repair - then I noticed that there was a firmware upgrade available. Upgrading embedded software on most devices is a hassle, but Optoma has taken it to a whole new level by requiring 3 separate upgrades (if your projector is an early build, newer ones may require two or one, mine needed 3) using 3 different methods. The three upgrades are referred to in the documentation as DDP, MCU, and 9U13. 9u13 appears to be the System software in the projector's menu. My half-screen issue went away with the DDP upgrade, FYI. The firmware files are available in the download section in the Optoma website here. If you decide to attempt this upgrade, I offer the following hints:

1. Despite what the first document states in page 1, you need two somewhat rare cables that are readily available in Amazon, A USB-A-to-USB-A cable for the DDP upgrade and a USB-A-to-9-pin female RS-232 cable. Order these before attempting the upgrade.
  2. The instructions carefully guide through the upgrade path by telling you what to bo based on the current revision level of your projector. Unfortunately, they fail to alert you to the fact that the regular menu will only reveal the Sys and MCU rev levels; to see the DPP level you have to get into the service menu. Instructions on how to do that can be accessed here.
  3. For the last step, you will need a USB thumb drive formatted in FAT32. For Mac users, just use the MS-DOS FAT option in Discutility - that is FAT32.
  4. The software runs on Windows and requires Microsoft XML 4 SP3. If your computer does not have it, download it here and install it.
I ended up dismounting the projector and doing this on my desk to facilitate pressing the hardware buttons while removing and reinserting the power cable. This process was worth it for me - the alternative was to ship the projector back to Optoma for a $200 firmware upgrade charge plus shipping (and be without a projector for at least two weeks - no way).

Edit: It appears the firmware files were removed from Optoma's website. I am hosting a copy here for your convenience.

I hope this helps someone out there a bit...

Jose

Attachments

• IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Other Speakers or Equipment
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
Thanks for discussing the issue and solution for this. I don't have this particular projector and I haven't heard of this bizarre phenomenon before. I used to have an old Mitsubishi projector that had a button cell battery for memory storage. Does your projector have one? If so maybe all it takes is a quick removal and re-insertion of the battery to restore the default picture. I'm curious to know! : )

Alcho

More  
Denon AVR-X3600H
Additional Amp
Rotel pre-amp
Xbox one
Front Speakers
Wharfedale Crystal 4.1
Center Channel Speaker
Wharfedale Crystal 4c
Surround Speakers
Wharfedale Crystal 4.1
Surround Back Speakers
Wharfedale Crystal 4.1
Front Height Speakers
Toa FS-1522
Rear Height Speakers
Toa FS-1522
Subwoofers
DIY build
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50
Screen
120 inch screen
I have the same exact issue with my UHD50 projector. Its annoying. And I am losing source signal once in a while through my Denon receiver. Not sure if the receiver has anything to do with it.

However, the steps to update firmware is equally daunting to do.

When you say removing and inserting the power cable, do you actually remove the cable while the power is on? Will this not damage the PJ?

Alcho

More  
Denon AVR-X3600H
Additional Amp
Rotel pre-amp
Xbox one
Front Speakers
Wharfedale Crystal 4.1
Center Channel Speaker
Wharfedale Crystal 4c
Surround Speakers
Wharfedale Crystal 4.1
Surround Back Speakers
Wharfedale Crystal 4.1
Front Height Speakers
Toa FS-1522
Rear Height Speakers
Toa FS-1522
Subwoofers
DIY build
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50
Screen
120 inch screen
OK. I managed to update my UHD50 with the latest firmware for DDP. I think the connection issue is improved although the firmware for System is still C03 instead of the updated C05 FW. And there was a moment when I switched to Xbox the screen was half again but was pink instead of black. It was for a short while only before the full screen of Xbox home screen came on. Otherwise its working fine. My PC connection is somewhat improved as well. No more defaulting resolution to 640x480 for some weird reason. I haven'e done the second and third upgrade yet but will try to this over time. I hope I have updated it correctly as the apps clearly downloaded the FW 100% just that System FW still showing the same FW version as before.

Jose Sifontes

More  
Denon AVR-2400H
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Monitors
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra
Subwoofers
Rhythmik FV15HP
Harbeth 30.1, VPI Aries TT
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50
Screen
Remote Control
Several Harmony
Streaming Subscriptions
I had to force it off to get it out of the half-screen craziness. The firmware update fixed everything - worth it! If you are hesitant to take it on you can always send the unit back to Optoma for them to do it - they charge $200 for it. The intent of my post was to try to remove the 'daunting' part from it (well, the gotchas). If I can be of any help let me know - I lived with that problem for about 5 months and it is a pain.

rheinaus

Registered
More  
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50
Does anyone still have the firmware files available for the UHD50? It looks like Optoma has discontinued this projector and took all of the files down.

Jose Sifontes

More  
Denon AVR-2400H
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Monitors
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra
Subwoofers
Rhythmik FV15HP
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50
Screen
Remote Control
Several Harmony
Streaming Subscriptions
That sucks. I must have the files stored away somewhere in my NAS, will dig for them. The firmware definitely fixed the half screen issue for me.

Jose Sifontes

More  
Denon AVR-2400H
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Monitors
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra
Subwoofers
Rhythmik FV15HP
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50
Screen
Remote Control
Several Harmony
Streaming Subscriptions
Does anyone still have the firmware files available for the UHD50? It looks like Optoma has discontinued this projector and took all of the files down.
i have the firmware upgrade files, please PM me if still needing them...

Edit - check my original posting, I added a link there....

Last edited:

Jose Sifontes

More  
Denon AVR-2400H
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Monitors
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra
Subwoofers
Rhythmik FV15HP
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50
Screen
Remote Control
Several Harmony
Streaming Subscriptions
by chance, are these files the same for the UHD50X?
Hard to tell. Maybe some creative searching in the waybackmachine site could lead to the now gone Optoma firmware download page to check the file names and comp[are them to what I have. The filenames do not mention the UHD50X, so doubtful.

aeliusmax82

Registered
Hello !! I have the exact same problem , I downloaded the files that you are hosting ( thank you very much )

But i cant find the instructions for the update , would you happen to have them ??

Thankyou again

Its amzing that Optoma would not help with these and we have to resort to helping each other

aeliusmax82

Registered
Hard to tell. Maybe some creative searching in the waybackmachine site could lead to the now gone Optoma firmware download page to check the file names and comp[are them to what I have. The filenames do not mention the UHD50X, so doubtful.
Hello !! I have the exact same problem , I downloaded the files that you are hosting ( thank you very much )

But i cant find the instructions for the update , would you happen to have them ??

Thankyou again

Its amzing that Optoma would not help with these and we have to resort to helping each other

rheinaus

Registered
More  
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50

Thankyou again

I can provide the instructions - PM me if you still need them

Jose Sifontes

More  
Denon AVR-2400H
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Monitors
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra
Subwoofers
Rhythmik FV15HP
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50
Screen
Remote Control
Several Harmony
Streaming Subscriptions
I can provide the instructions - PM me if you still need them

It looks like a previous user moved things around a bit - I just reorganized the files and locked down access to view only - see if that works for you (new link below) - if not let me know and I will tweak the folder some more. The step by step pdfs should now be visible.

Optoma probably wants us to buy a new projector pr pay them $250 to do the update themselves. Defend right to repair!

New Link

rheinaus

Registered
More  
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50
Link works - also has anyone in this thread had any new issues pop up since applying the FW update? Could be coincidence, but I've started having issues where the projector doesn't fully start up when powering on. The activity lights turn on, but the lamp never kicks in. After power cycling, it normally works on the second try and will run fine until I turn it off. Never had the problem prior to the upgrade, but again, could be a coincidence.

Jose Sifontes

More  
Denon AVR-2400H
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Monitors
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra
Subwoofers
Rhythmik FV15HP
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50
Screen
Remote Control
Several Harmony
Streaming Subscriptions
Link works - also has anyone in this thread had any new issues pop up since applying the FW update? Could be coincidence, but I've started having issues where the projector doesn't fully start up when powering on. The activity lights turn on, but the lamp never kicks in. After power cycling, it normally works on the second try and will run fine until I turn it off. Never had the problem prior to the upgrade, but again, could be a coincidence.

You applied all three upgrades?

rheinaus

Registered
More  
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50
You applied all three upgrades?
Yep - all three. Despite the process looking pretty daunting, it actually went smoothly. I haven't had anymore issues with the split screen at least :)

Maralc

Registered
Hi Jose/All,

Thanks a lot for sharing this post here.

My UHD50 when I turn it on sometimes gives a purplish/color changing screen and sometimes shows a line in the middle of the screen. If we turn off and on a few times the problem disappear. And it just happens right after turning it on, if its good, it stays good.

I am thinking of running the upgrade, but when I saw the read me information on the instructions, it says to check the versions on the menu, and my versions show very differently. Will attach and image. I just have 2 versions instead of 3.

Does it match with what you guys saw?

The projector was bought refurbished in August 2020.

Thanks for any inputs.
IMG_1749.jpg

• Post hidden due to user being banned.

playab0yyy

Can anyone help me with accessing the service menu on the UHD50? I've seen the link posted with the various methods, but they don't work at all. I've tried doing the different methods from inside the regular menu and outside the regular menu. I'm trying to confirm the DDP version. I can find the MCU and 9U13 from the regular menu. What the heck is the trick to accessing it?

playab0yyy

Can anyone help me with accessing the service menu on the UHD50? I've seen the link posted with the various methods, but they don't work at all. I've tried doing the different methods from inside the regular menu and outside the regular menu. I'm trying to confirm the DDP version. I can find the MCU and 9U13 from the regular menu. What the heck is the trick to accessing it?
Main Service Menu: Power off -> up -> right -> up -> left -> menu

Service Menu: Power off -> up -> down -> menu

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Top Bottom