Optimizing my 4 subwoofers

VJM

Staff member
Bright Side Crew
I recently added two more subwoofers (All 4 are SVS SB-3000) to my theater and now I'm wanting to tweak the setup to get the best results and I'm open to help/suggestions.

Dedicated enclosed theater room is 21.2 L x 11 W and 7.2 H

I'm using Audyssey MultEQ-X and have tried different places for the subs and these are the first measurement from the MLP about 10.5 feet from the front speakers.

Four corners of the room..
1709464733615.png

Mid-Subs, both subs collocated at front and back mid-points...
1709463231331.png

1/4W Placement
1709463419959.png

Right Front collocated and back left collocated
1709463893233.png

This last one is the aggregate response after measuring all 8 locations for the four corners configuration, I can provide the other aggregate readings if someone wants to check it out.
1709464389334.png

Attachments

• 1709463182671.png
    1709463182671.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
It will be extremely difficult to come to much of a sensible conclusion if you are measuring eight different positions. There will be some give and take you'll have to live with. If you fix one position, you end up creating an issue for another position. In this case, I think you are probably best trusting Audyssey is getting it about as good as it can get if measuring eight positions. I always try to optimize for the primary listening position to know I have one excellent seating position. The compromise is the other seating positions, which still sound pretty good and about as good as if I had measured all of them. Of course, I'm usually the only one in my room for the most part... and when others are in there, especially kids, they could hang on the ceiling and think it sounds good. If I want to impress someone who understands it and can really hear a difference, I let them have my seat.

Reactions: VJM

socbutter

Are you asking about where to place your subs? If that is the case, Ive found it easier to place the sub in my MLP and using REW and placing the mic in various locations while taking sweeps at those locations. I think is called reciprocity.

Else you could use Obsessive Compulsive Audiophile video Optimal Subwoofer Alignment with Cross Correlation . Be patient in listening and perhaps turn on Close Caption. hope this helps.

Last edited:

MusicManLen

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV8805A
Main Amp
Proceed HPA3
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-6 Gen3
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo UDP203
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
GoldenEar Triton One.R
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch PRO-18RC 8" Ceiling Speaker
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch PRO-18RC 8" Ceiling Speaker
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB16
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
Screen Innovations 5 Motorized
Remote Control
Lexicon
If possible add 4FT to the distance found by Audyssey to each sub. You can't have more than a 20 FT separation between subs and shortest speaker distance in Audyssey so you might have to adjust the shortest speaker to keep the 20 FT difference as required by Audyssey. Write down the subs distances and any other speaker distance you might have to adjust before making any changes so you can easily go back to your original distances if you don't hear any improvement to your bass. In my room with (4) subs it made a powerful improvement to my bass and in my case I had to add a couple of feet to my shortest speaker to keep Audyssey happy. You don't have to rerun Audyssey as you make the changes in the manual settings after you have already run Audyssey. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom