More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Terasic DE1-SoC FPGA
Main Amp
ICEPower 125ASX2
Front Speakers
KEF LS50, Modded Xover
Hello,

Thanks for developing Room EQ Wizard -- it is an amazingly comprehensive suite of tools to do anything with DRC under the sun. I was wondering if you've ever considered releasing the software under an open source license. I think this has several benefits:
  • Ability for others to contribute to and maintain the software
  • Potential for others to extend the suite with new tools and research implementations
  • Easier distribution through Linux repositories and potentially Flatpak/Snap
  • Verifiable ports of algorithms and tools to more popular programming languages, such as Python
I personally would see benefit from this in two ways. First, it would be easier for me to package the app with Flatpak, which would ensure a consistent Java release that works is packaged as well as cleaning up all the clutter Install4j leaves on my system. Second, it would allow me to integrate and give a GUI for the Python Open Room Correction software (a powerful DRC suite that is in serious need of a better interface and easier installation procedure).

If you're interested, I can recommend the extremely permissive MIT license. I'm also more than happy to contribute development time if that's something you find useful.

- Mark

Last edited:

markubiak

Registered
More  
Terasic DE1-SoC FPGA
Main Amp
ICEPower 125ASX2
Front Speakers
KEF LS50, Modded Xover
Alright, thought I'd ask. Any specific reason you're against releasing the source?

markubiak

Registered
More  
Terasic DE1-SoC FPGA
Main Amp
ICEPower 125ASX2
Front Speakers
KEF LS50, Modded Xover
That's very understandable, you could potentially declare the software free for personal use but have a license for professionals that use it. As long as you don't put features behind a paywall!

I remain interested in integrating Python Open Room Correction features (parallel filterbank correction, mixed phase correction) directly into REW's EQ section. Compared to chained biquad filters, these techniques offer highly parallel computation (parallel bandpass biquads) or improved quality (mixed phase compensation) compared to the traditional biquad chain. It's been motivation for me to move from MiniDSP room correction to custom FPGA logic. If you see a way to make this happen, either by sharing the room correction portion of the code with me privately or by developing a basic API and plugin interface, that would be great.

Thanks for the responses!

Top Bottom