Onkyo Introduces AccuEQ Advance with Its New TX-NR787 AV Receiver

Onkyo Introduces AccuEQ Advance with Its New TX-NR787 AV Receiver

full?d=1525698590.jpg

(Onkyo and Pioneer Corporation)
(May 4, 2018) Onkyo’s new TX-NR787 9.2-Channel Network AVR has officially launched, hitting the market with a tempting price point and THX Certified Select certification. The receiver marks Onkyo’s first model to carry AccuEQ Advance room correction software, rounding out an impressive package that’s designed for both media center and home theater duty.

While the TX-NR787 doesn’t support the HDMI 2.1 specification, it’s fully compliant with all current 4K video requirements across each of its six rear HDMI 2.0 inputs. That means full pass-through support for a variety of 4K/60p HDR formats (including HDR10, HLG, and Dolby Vision), in addition to BT.2020 color, 4:4:4 color sub-sampling, 24-bit video, and HDCP2.2 copy protection. A seventh front mounted HDMI input isn’t 4K compatible, but can serve as a temporary connection point for various HD devices and older gaming consoles.

The receiver’s amp section is rated at 100 Watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz), 0.08% THD, 2ch driven), natively capable of delivering power to a variety surround and immersive speaker arrangements ranging from 5.2- to 7.2.2-channels. Owners can also run wired stereo speakers in (up to) two separate zones. Additionally, multi-room audio can be further expanded using DTS Play-Fi, FlareConnect, and Chromecast built-in. Each of these technologies can wirelessly distribute a variety of sources to compatible speakers around a home.

Onboard decoding of Atmos and DTS:X covers two of the industry’s most popular immersive audio codecs, while both Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X can upconvert legacy surround sound encodes for realistic 3D sound experiences.

The inclusion of AirPlay, Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz / 5 GHz), and Bluetooth allow for audio streaming from handheld and desktop computer sources, while onboard support for Spotify, TIDAL, TuneIn, Deezer, and Pandora gives access to popular streaming services. Multiple Hi-Res Audio formats (MP3, WMA, FLAC, WAV, AAC, Apple Lossless, DSD 5.6 MHz, LPCM, and Dolby TrueHD) are also covered for media sourced via a home network or USB port, and an Advanced Music Optimizer improves compressed digital audio quality.

Front left and right channel sound quality is honed by Onkyo’s proprietary VLSC or Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry, which acts to remove high-frequency digital processing noise for improved clarity, and non-phase shift amplification circuitry. And the entire system is tuned by Onkyo’s premium-grade AccuEQ Advance room correction software with AccuReflex. AccuEQ Advance employs a newly added three-point measurement system to remove standing waves, which negatively affect perceived audio quality, across a wide seating area. The inclusion of AccuReflex works to align phase issues commonly found with up-firing Dolby Atmos speaker modules and a system’s main speakers.

The TX-NR787 is priced at $799 ($1,099 CAD) and due to begin shipping on May 8, 2018.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I'm glad to see Onkyo reporting good amp numbers now. They list the joke number on their site, 220 watts with 1 channel driven at 6 ohms, 1khz, and 10% distortion, but the FTC number is more prominently stated. 100 watts is a good number for most people, it will be interesting to see how it does with 5 channels or 7 channels driven.
The advancement in EQ is smart, but unfortunately, they are adding an ability they lost when they switched off Audyssey. In other words, they are slowly catching up to where they were before.
I also wonder how the recent bankruptcy of Gibson will impact Onkyo moving forward. I like them as a company. Good products, good value, loaded with features, and reliable enough. They've had their issues, like the HDMI fiasco, but in the end, they honored their customers and took care of things. I hope Gibson doesn't somehow take them down.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I don't think I'll ever get confirmation of this, but this 3-pt measurement is exactly what MCACC offers - and the last Onkyo/Integra review I executed, the AccuEQ experience felt eerily similar to MCACC. My guess is that MCACC is being chopped up and repackage as AccuEQ?

I have zero issue with that (if that's the case)... I've always felt MCACC has done its job well.

Top Bottom