Odd low frequency dip, and a way to address it... any comments?

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
It seems to me that the method in the link to above, https://community.roonlabs.com/t/cr...-new-room-eq-wizard-rew-with-inversion/208776, addresses Phase correction at step 24 in the detailed document referenced in the video and provided in the comment section of that video... There is also a video that the author, Serkan Gur, has posted a tutorial that explains how to do Phase correction with the free tool called rePhase, found at rePhase.org, also one of the tools suggested on the MiniDSP website... While it is true that most hobbyists tend focus on the amplitude/SPL side of room correction, there is plenty of information available for those that tend to dive deeper into the subject...

Last edited:

Anatoliy Gavrilov

More  
Main Amp
SE - 6С33С - 6П15П
Additional Amp
Technics SE-M100
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony CDP-557 ESD
Front Speakers
Seas 3-way
I am confused by phase issues; I was considering trying to use the MiniDSP 2x4 HD's 2048 tap to create a single FIR filter exclusively to address a phase issue but don't know if this is possible, and how to go about designing the proper filter (examples seem to focus on magnitude not phase).
I do not use DSP - in my room the frequency response is within + - 3 dB. But once I experimented with an active 1/3 octave equalizer to equalize the frequency response of a 3-way speaker system.
At 1 meter it is very easy to align the frequency response, and from it the phase curve is aligned:

But when the microphone was placed on the listening point (2.5 meters), then all the equalizer settings spoiled the measurement graphs, and the usual passive filter of this 3-way speaker showed an uneven frequency response of + - 2.5 dB.

Put the microphone at the listening point and align it with the frequency response processor, paying special attention to the 400 - 4000 Hz range - it should be as even as possible. Pay less attention to phase distortion of low frequencies, since group delay at frequencies below 200-300 Hz is not so sharply perceived by our hearing against the background of mid frequencies.

Top Bottom