full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1545485574.jpg

Movie: :2.5stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
Final Score: :3stars:

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1549539158.jpg
Movie

I’ve actually got a lot of respect for Tyler Perry. The man isn’t usually my cup of tea in regards to his films, but he has made an established name for himself among comedic actors, has put his dues in with the dramatic side, AND made his own production house that has netted him over half a billion dollars worth of income. You could say that the guy has really made his impact on film making. Ok, I’m not the most wild Tyler Perry Fan, but the guy has put out some iconic comedic characters like Madea (whether you like “her” or not), and his film studio has created a niche for itself with the the African American community. However, along with this, and Tiffany Haddish, I just can’t give my seal of approval on. Honestly, I can’t find Tiffany Haddish amusing in the SLIGHTEST. I really wanted to like her in Girls Trip, but it seems like she’s really being pushed HARD on the acting community by those in charge. I can’t find anything funny about her at all, and she seems like the Jeremy Renner of the comedy community, except with less success. Nobody’s Fool is your typical Tyler Perry movie (for good or for bad) just brought down with Tiffany Haddish’s own brand of non humor, humor, and your typical DTV storyline.

Lionsgate films is the one to normally house Tyler Perry’s works, but it seems that Paramount Pictures has got a crack at the title, as their logo shifts over the screen instead of the typical Lionsgate one. However, not much has changed here besides a shift into the raunchy level of R rating (Tyler Perry has done some R rated films, but it tends to shift towards the dramatic, with his comedies leaning towards the PG-13 rating), and the inclusion of Tiffany Haddish. However, the movie isn’t really about her. Instead it focuses on her sister Danica (played by Tika Sumpter), a rich and successful businesswoman who is having a hard time with her career and her love life. Smitten by the enigmatic Charles (Mehcad Brooks), Danica is all about her “list” of the perfect man, which is shattered to the core when her sister Tanya (Tiffany Haddish) gets out of the joint and comes to live with her. Caught up in the whirlwind of Tanya’s brash and blunt “tell it like it is” attitude, Danica decides to fall for long time crush Frank (Omari Hardwick).

As much as we’d all like for the instant happy ending, Danica is caught up with Frank’s flaws. Instead of seeing the sweet man in front of her, Danica’s darker side turns into looking into Frank’s past and finding out that he’s an ex-con. Now that enigmatic Charlie has shown up it makes Danica’s decision even harder and the single woman is forced to choose in the impossible conundrum. Will she choose the guy who has been drooling over her for the last several years and checks MOST of the check bodes in her list, or does she go for Charlie, who checks ever box in her list but has never actually met her in person.
full?lightbox=1&update=1549539158.jpg
I hate to say this, but his is Tiffany Haddish’s funnies movie yet. That’s not to say that it’s a funny movie, but Tiffany Haddish has been a blight upon cinema goers for the last several years .She was mildly funny in Girl’s Trip, but been INCREDIBLY unfunny in just about everything she’s done post that movie. She tried in Night School and Uncle Drew, but failed miserably. Her skills are next to nothing from what we’ve seen, but Hollywood is DESPERATE to push her out as the next big thing. Just like Jeremy Renner, she’s but thrust into the hollywood spotlight as someone to pay attention to, but she doesn’t seem to possess the acting chops to get er done. Nobody’s Fool is a weird mishmash of gender issues, stupid comedy tropes, and your typical “I’m gonna find me a man!” female chick flick quirks all rolled into a Tyler Perry Film.

If you look even remotely closely it’s clear that Tyler Perry is behind the wheel on this one. While Tiffany Haddish gets some funny lines as the unhinged sister, most of the focus is on Tina Sumpter’s character, Danica, and this mythical “list” of perfect qualities in a man that was given to her by her moth (played by Whoopi Goldberg). Elements of the movie ARE genuinely funny (surprisingly by Tiffany), but those moments are overshadowed by an incredible amount of Tyler Perry romantic syrup and Serendipity type of mishaps. Nothing is really that funny, and nothing is that surprising either. It’s your typical “girl gets her hunky guy” at the end type of film, and there is NOTHING left to the imagination.

Rating:

Rated R for sexual content and language throughout, and for drug material.

Video: :4.5stars:
The digitally filmed picture is solid for most of it’s runtime, with some really strong color grading that shifts depending on location. Outside in the dark, and at the lake house there is a really strong blue tinge that almost looks neon in nature. The home of Roma and Marina is more golden hued, while outside in the normal world daylight shots can be very neutral looking. The detail levels are usually very high, with the outdoor day lit shots being the most revealing. However, there is one major flaw that draws the score down dramatically and that is the inclusion of banding EVERYWHERE! Under the water and in complete darkness is the worst, where you can see layer after layer of banding. Sometimes it’s not very noticeable, but other times it can be downright blatantly overpowering.

Audio: :4stars:
The only thing that I could find out about Nobody’s Fool’s style of filmimg was the use Sony F55 digital cameras, and nothing I saw in the movie dissuades me from concluding that the movie was a 100% digital shoot. There is a glossy and clean look to the movie that is indicative of the style, and the clarity and detail levels seem to be incredibly high. Color grading is decidedly neutral, with that sort of “shiny” New York City look to it that so many rom-com’s have taken to in the digital age. Colors are warm and bright, while the clarity levels maintain a high level of crispness to them. Fine detail is excellent all the way around, and the black levels inside of Danica’s apartment is more than revealing. It’s a very clean digital shoot, and seems to fall in line with many of the same ilk in today’s budget category.

Extras: :3.5stars:
• Introduction by Tyler Perry & Tiffany Haddish – A special message from the writer/director and the star of Tyler Perry's Nobody's Fool.
• Deleted, Extended & Alternate Scenes – Over 20 minutes of even more outrageous footage you didn't see in theaters!
• Gag Reel – Enjoy more laughs with this side-splittingly funny gag reel.
• 9 Hilarious Featurettes:
- Tale of Two Sisters – Find out how the movie's two sisters clash and collide with hilariously disastrous results.
- The Legend and the Star – Comedy icon Whoopi Goldberg discusses her hilarious role as the mother of two polar opposite sisters.
- Mocha Latte Extra Laughs – Laugh along as Omari Hardwick's character battles it out in a catastrophic love triangle!
- I'm Just Trusting Tyler Perry – Watch Tyler Perry in action on set.
- She Ready or Not: Here Comes the Wedding Crasher – Go inside the laugh-out-loud funny scene where Tanya crashes her sister's ex-boyfriend's wedding!
- Bring the Funny – Catch up on the hilarious scene where Tiffany Haddish's character is fresh out of jail.
- Breakfast with Tiffany – You heard it here first: Tiffany Haddish, Tika Sumpter, Omari Hardwick and Amber Riley give the scoop behind-the-scenes of Tyler Perry's Nobody's Fool.
- "Something New From Tyler Perry" Perfume – Watch this side-splittingly funny faux commercial for Tyler Perry's Nobody's Fool.
- "Catfished" Perfume with Outtakes – Enjoy this hysterical fake commercial for Tyler Perry's Nobody's Fool with Tiffany Haddish.

Final Score: :3stars:

Nobody’s Fool is mildly funny, but really just a bland girl’s comedy that is REALLY light on the comedy factor. Tiffany Haddish is not my favorite comedian, but she is drastically underused here, as Tika Sumpter and Omari Hardwick really dominate the screen (to ill effect). The movie itself is dry, droll, completely bland and a waste of Haddish’s limited talents. Tyler Perry seem to have made an art form out of making bland ethnic comedies, and Nobody’s Fool is the shining example of his harsh nihilism in film making. Paramount’s Blu-ray is done quite nicely with good audio and great video, along with a moderate amount of extras to complete the package. If you’re a fan of Tyler Perry than this is probably worth checking out, otherwise I would give it a complete pass.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Tiffany Haddish, Tika Sumpter, Omari Hardwick, Mehcad Brooks, Amber Riley, Whoopi Goldberg
Directed by: Tyler Perry
Written by: Tyler Perry
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 5.1, English, English DVS, Spanish, French DD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, Spanish, French
Studio: Paramount
Rated: R
Runtime: 110 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: February 12th, 2019

Recommendation: Skip It

Jack

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Integra 9.8 pre/pro, Denon 4520ci
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA5
Additional Amp
Darid I30
Other Amp
Hafler 220
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo
Front Speakers
Klipsch KLF10
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch C7
Surround Speakers
Various
Subwoofers
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Other Speakers or Equipment
Lita Audio Tube Dac, MyDac, Home made Music server
Video Display Device
Panasonic Viera Plasma, 65"
Remote Control
Lots
I am gonna pass on this, Tiffany seems to push so hard to be funny that she moves to annoying.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. Will skip it also. :)

Top Bottom