Next step video calibration?

i_BUILD

Hi I am fairly new to this... but I have a passion for it and I am a software engineer by trade. The last month I have driven my wife nuts by the sound of sweeps and investments made into equipment in support of audio nirvana, I still have follow up items in that area but where I am is much better than where I was a month ago in regards to home theater audio, This forum has helped me improve so much to the point where I have now been jumping out of my chair based on movie audio experiences I have had a number of times prior without response. (namingly the movie 'IT' last night)

My question is... will I have as much of a revelation in efforts spent on video calibration. My wife was asking me what I was reading last night and I was briefly looking over leveraging a Raspberry Pi (of which I do have laying around) in the process of video calibration. Once she heard I moved on to video calibration... she abruptly said Oh No and I was about to be impeached from my husband role.

So... for a newb that took about 2 weeks to learn REW and the DSP implantation what do you think the learning curve will be for me to move onto video calibration considering I am also using a Sony 295ES with pretty much out of the box settings for 90% movie watching in 4K? And... could I expect to be as impressed with the end result (provided all things are done right)?

Please let me know what your thoughts are?

Thanks.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Other Speakers or Equipment
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Or track down HCFR and use that.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Other Speakers or Equipment
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
I use an Xrite i1 Display Pro with their display profiling software on my PC setup. I always enjoy the 'before and after' page of the calibration process because I can directly see the color shifts that the display exhibited before the calibration; reds had too much yellow, etc...

squish72

Here's another software https://www.lightillusion.com/colourspace.html
They had a deal last year where if you bought their old software you would get a free upgrade to the new colorspace. It was much cheaper then what they charge now. I've tried dispaycal, older calman , xrite (not good for movies) and hcfr. None of them gave me the results that colorspace did repeatedly. But now it's really expensive

If you do get a meter I recommend the i1 display pro "oem" the OEM one is different then the regular one and can read up to 2000 cd/m² where the retail only does 1000.

Top Bottom