Newbie questions

Ty_Tanium

I have one existing system and within 3 months I’ll have another that I would like to start using REW on. I’ve never used REW and don’t have any of the hardware I need for it yet. So my first question pertains to computer hardware. I haven’t been able to find information as to what kind of processing power (CPU) and graphics (GPU) a laptop needs to have to run REW. Can someone help me out? Also, will it run on a tablet running Windows 11?

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
On the widows side, if it runs windows 10 or above it runs REW. Nothing special required at all. I’d personally get something with an I5 processor and an SSD, which are pretty standard these days anyway, if only because I hate waiting on a machine to boot.
No separate GPU required.
If your getting something exclusively for REW use consider saving a bit and buying refurbished.

sam_adams

REW will run on any capable Windows laptop or desktop running Win 7 or higher. It will run on any Mac that can run macOS 10.12.x or higher. It can be run on any Linux capable laptop or desktop. It will run on any Chromebook with a full HD screen res.

If you are not Mac-adverse, the best value is a used/refurb MacBook Pro 9,2 running macOS 10.13.6 with 16GB ram and at least a 250GB SSD. Reasonably priced mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapters will get you connected to an AVR with no problems.

Ty_Tanium

Thanks. I've never been an Apple/Mac or Linux user so I'll probably stick with something running Windows. I was hoping it would run on a tablet. Oh well.

Bernard

I have one existing system and within 3 months I’ll have another that I would like to start using REW on. I’ve never used REW and don’t have any of the hardware I need for it yet. So my first question pertains to computer hardware. I haven’t been able to find information as to what kind of processing power (CPU) and graphics (GPU) a laptop needs to have to run REW. Can someone help me out? Also, will it run on a tablet running Windows 11?
Couldn't find any information on how much processing power (CPU) and graphics power (GPU) a laptop needs to run REW?

Have a look here...
'https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/welcome.html#top

As for the tablet, I don't have an answer because I don't use this kind of tool. But, if the characteristics of the tablet correspond to the minimum configuration of REW indicated on the first page of the software help with the appropriate connections, it should do the trick!
sam_adams' suggestion is worth considering.

Ty_Tanium

Any update?
Not really. I was all set to pull the trigger on a new laptop when I found out my employer was going to be having a drawing for some really old laptops that they've replaced. The drawing is this coming Thursday, and even if I need to buy an OS it'll still be way cheaper than a new laptop. Keeping the fingers crossed.

Ty_Tanium

I got lucky and won one! It's an oldie, but I sure can't complain about the price! Looking forward to learning how to use REW.

Top Bottom