Newbie question: how to normalise SPL measurements?

Skol

Registered
Hi folks,

I’m a REW newbie, having arrived here from starting out with Fuzzmeasure (which I also like). So far I’m really enjoying some the extra functionality offered by REW.

However, I have a newbie question that I’m struggling to find an answer for, having searched this forum and the REW Manual (5.1)…

My question is: how do I normalise frequency response (SPL) measurements?

For example: I want to compare my SPL measurements against those from another room, so it would be useful to normalise each reading to make the comparison easier. In Fuzzmeasure, there a little tick box for each measurement that allows the frequency domain to be normalised, but I cannot find a similar option in REW. I’ve also tried exporting each SPL measurement in REW and selecting the ‘normalise’ option during the export; but when I re-import the measurements they’re not normalised to the same dB level. They’re more ‘abnormalised’ :blink:

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for any advice.

PS: to help clarify, here's a screenshot from Fuzzmeasure of what I'm aiming to achieve...

Normalised SPL example.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 31

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Looking at that image, normalise is setting the peak level to 0 dB? If so you can do that in the controls of the Impulse graph, setting the peak to any preferred level. You can also use the controls in the All SPL graph to offset any measurement for easier visual comparison.

Skol

Registered
Thanks John. Nice to get help ‘from the horse’s mouth’, so to speak!

The offset control in the All SPL tab is exactly what I was looking for. Problem solved.

Thanks again :T

Top Bottom