New user - looking for affirmation

bill devaux

Registered
I just started using REW and made several measurements but got worried that my settings were incorrect which would make my readings useless. I've been reading the Help data and User Guides but I'm not confident using REW. So, I'm posting screen prints of my current configuration. I'd appeciate it if an experienced user could look them over to see if there is anything I should change. I have bass traps and diffusers in my room now so, my goal is to understand my room and see if I should move them to better locations. My system is two channel without subwoofers and I have REW running on my IMac passing the sweep through my dac. I'd appreciate any guidance. Thanks, Bill
Screen Shot 2563-11-25 at 10.45.50.png
Screen Shot 2563-11-25 at 10.46.59.png
Screen Shot 2563-11-25 at 10.47.17.png
Screen Shot 2563-11-25 at 10.48.43.png

bill devaux

Registered
Thanks, John. This is my most recent SPL&Phase measurement.

Attachments

• Nov 10 - 8 feet 2 inches toe-in diffs moved.mdat
    757.7 KB · Views: 12

bill devaux

Registered
Thanks again, John. Now, I can continue reading the User's Manual without that nagging in the back of my mind.

bill devaux

Registered
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would add a new wrinkle to my first thread.

I’m a relatively new REW user and have been using it successfully for the past 2 months. I took a break for a couple of weeks at the end of December; when I tried to take some measurements 3 days ago, I got the following message:

Screen Shot 2564-01-11 at 10.10.17.png

I checked Apple “Sound” and could see the UMIK-1 and also checked the Apple “MIDI set-up” and could see it there, too.

Screen Shot 2564-01-11 at 10.10.43.png
Screen Shot 2564-01-11 at 10.36.42.png

I compared my current preferences with a screen print I posted earlier in this thread and noticed one difference. In both, the UMIK-1 appears as the input but now, the drop down just below doesn’t give me the choice of “Microphone” only “Default Device.” I’ve spent parts of the last couple of days trying to figure out why that changed, to no avail.

Screen Shot 2564-01-11 at 10.08.54.png

The only changes I’ve made to preferences on purpose have been to try to take measurements of each speaker individually. But, it’s very possible that I changed something by mistake that I don’t remember doing. I double-checked the microphone cable connections and they seem secure on both ends and I tried different ports on my iMac. The only other piece of info I can think to offer is that the SPL function doesn’t work either so, maybe the problem is with the microphone.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or troubleshooting advice.

sam_adams

Although the Burson Audio USB DAC appears as the output device in REW it is not set as the ouput device in Audio MIDI Setup. it needs to have the little speaker icon next to it to be set as the output device. Control-click, Right-click or two-finger tap on the Burson Audio USB DAC in Audio MIDI Setup and select 'Use This Device For Sound Output'.

bill devaux

Registered
Thanks, Sam. I did it but it didn't change the outcome. I still got the same message. I should have included that I got sound from the speakers via the Burson when I tested levels in Preferences and in Measure but I don't get a sweep tone when I try to measure.

bill devaux

Registered
I'm still stymied. Here's some additional information:

1. when I use the sweep generator function, I hear the sweep tone like I normally did before this problem;
2. when I Check Levels in "Preferences", the Out column functions normally but the In and Ref In columns stay greyed out;
3. after I Check Levels in "Measure" and click Start, I don't immediately hear a sweep tone (as I did before) and the screen greys out. After the message about the microphone problem appears, the sweep tone plays. But, no measurement is made.

bill devaux

Registered
This is embarrassing - I downloaded the latest update and I can take measurements again. Sadly, at 70 years old, this is a lesson I've learned before but old dogs and new tricks. :~)

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
No need to apologise, odd behaviour to encounter. Please post again if you get a repeat.

Top Bottom