New to REW

athegn

Registered
Looking to experiment with room correction by REW.

I have a Cambridge Audio A500 intergrated amp (with broken volume motor so no remote function) and a Chromecast Audio dongle, with a mini toslink to standard toslink cable, doing nothing at present.

These days my only source is a Samsung phone into a CCA; actually using an Onkyo RX 8270 receiver with its built-in CCA. Phone also feeds Sennheiser Kleer headphones via another CCA dongle as well as Bluetooth headphones/car radio/laptop/study audio.

I have this article an article using hifiberry on a Pi; can't post link as new member.

I know I need a calibrated mic; I have an old cheap dynamic mic and Sony MX-DJ9000 mixing desk but I don't these think will suffice.

Once I have used my laptop to create my filters and loaded them to the Pi DSP I just need to connect my CCA, via toslink, to the Pi then take the RCA output to AUX input on the amplifier or toslink output to the optical input on receiver; optical out bypasses Hifiberry DAC? I can then use my Samsung phone/tablet as my source/preamp. This means I only need one device to control sound, as at present.

Have I understood REW?

Wonder if I could replace the Pi gear with "miniDSP 2x4"; RCA only outputs.

Is this the correct?

Any advice please?

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
I believe you are in the right forum, as this has more to do with system setup and connection than it does with direct support with REW.

The post is confusing as to exactly what you need help with, and why you may not have received any response in either forum thus far.

If that Onkyo has preamp out, you could use it and connect the miniDSP between it and the Cambridge, and use the Cambridge for the amp.

To use REW you will indeed need a calibrated mic.

athegn

Registered
Sorry I think I have confused matters. I only want the amp or receiver in use. The amp has pre outs and tape recorder/in. The Onkyo has only 2 x sub woofer pre outs. I was thinking I could use my stand alone CCA connected to the Pi as dsp or miniDSP and feed the result into the AUX on either the amp or receiver.

I bought the Onkyo when the motorised remote broke on the Cambridge, thinking I would need all the receivers facilities. But my use has come down to just using my phone to its built- in CCA; only using the DAC and amp on the Onkyo. If I fed the dsp to the Onkyo AUX I would only be using its amp.

Is the miniDSP equivalent to the Pi setup in that article? Price seems a little bit cheaper and would not need to assemble.

Top Bottom