new here - time alignment with REW and UMIK

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I think the alignment tool works well in both its phase and filtered impulse modes. Details of the measurement sweep are in the help.

st0nehead_ss

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Powersoft x8
Main Amp
Powersoft x8
I think the alignment tool works well in both its phase and filtered impulse modes. Details of the measurement sweep are in the help.
And should this be done with crossover filters in place?

The other method I see is sweep boxes "raw" and align IR, then select crossover type for best phase matching

John Mulcahy

REW Author
With crossover filters may give you more flexibility in your choice of crossover type/order. Given the debate around the audibility of overall phase alignment and the nastiness that can result from a poor handoff I'd be inclined to focus more on having a clean transition between drivers than on the relative arrival times of the mid band signal for each driver.

st0nehead_ss

More  
Powersoft x8
Main Amp
Powersoft x8
With crossover filters may give you more flexibility in your choice of crossover type/order. Given the debate around the audibility of overall phase alignment and the nastiness that can result from a poor handoff I'd be inclined to focus more on having a clean transition between drivers than on the relative arrival times of the mid band signal for each driver.
so focus on the phase transiton throughout the crossover point and its +/- 1 octave more so than the impulse response is what you are saying?

st0nehead_ss

More  
Powersoft x8
Main Amp
Powersoft x8
ive attached an mdat

took some preliminary measurements, only of the kick (one of 4 cabinets) and one midtop cabinet (2x12" + compression driver.) the SPL will not be super accurate due to one cab measurement i am guessing....I took both raw (no xovers, using the range to avoid any driver damage) and with various filters in place...i also used the alignment tool to align phase at crossover (150hz) which was only a very small delay given the horn path of the es18 kick cabinet. i do not know if i can obtain any data regarding IR alignment here, i used the acoustic timing reference method with a small fullrange monitor speaker next to the others...

any input would be appreciated should you have the time...

josh

Attachments

• midtop and kick preliminary measurements, raw, BW, LR, align tool.mdat
    15.7 MB · Views: 10

st0nehead_ss

More  
Powersoft x8
Main Amp
Powersoft x8
I should mention there was a residual gain difference I forgot to change in the x8 DSP, kicks up 9db or something or other

st0nehead_ss

More  
Powersoft x8
Main Amp
Powersoft x8
n it i also just realised the "midtop raw" ie without filters, i had the range set at 160, and the cutoff point is 150

i'll try this again saturday -_-

st0nehead_ss

More  
Powersoft x8
Main Amp
Powersoft x8
i take this to mean, choose whatever slopes you like, and align the phase (w delay, ie alignment tool) at the xrossover points for best transition through the crossover range

Top Bottom