Negative values at delay time measurement.

Talisker99

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Roland quad capture
Front Speakers
Neumann KH 120
I tried to make a delay time measurement yesterday but the impulse response showed values below 0 meter. So I am oviously having a wrong reference. I include my preferenced, can sombody tell me my mistake ? thanx

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Delays can be positive or negative relative to the reference. Select the actual devices, inputs and outputs you are using rather than leaving them as default.

Talisker99

Registered
More  
Roland quad capture
Front Speakers
Neumann KH 120
Hey John, thanx for the reply but I just figured that I made a mistake when taking the screenshot. When I made the measurement I had chosen my Dante virtual soundcard as in and outputs. I you just imagine the DVS in every window instead of "default device" what could be the problem ? I did the same measurement with - I think- the same settings a week ago and it worked fine.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There isn't necessarily any problem at all. What is the actual delay figure you are seeing? What timing reference are you using? How have you connected to your system?

Talisker99

Registered
More  
Roland quad capture
Front Speakers
Neumann KH 120
As far as I remember the source was approx 8m away and the measurement said something like -5u or so. the computer was connected by a Dante network with the settings that you see in the screenshot.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The soundcard settings don't indicate what timing reference was used. A loopback connection? Acoustic timing reference? Difficult to say anything about the delay without knowing what it is referenced to. It might be easiest to post the mdat file for a measurement.

Talisker99

Registered
More  
Roland quad capture
Front Speakers
Neumann KH 120
Unfortunately I didn't keep any files from that measurement. But my reference is a loopback from the same desk output, that feeds the speaker system through the Dante network back into input 2 of the REW. At least that is what I intended to do but it is also where I think I made a routing mistake. I just don't seem to be able to pinpoint it.

Talisker99

Registered
More  
Roland quad capture
Front Speakers
Neumann KH 120
Well yes, my next show with that tour will be in two weeks, I'll give it another try and let you know what happens

Talisker99

Registered
More  
Roland quad capture
Front Speakers
Neumann KH 120
So I tried again today and now I am sure that I am using a wrong path every measurement showed the same result so I am not measuring delay times, I am measuring something wrong I just can't work out, where the mistake is. I saved todays file and attach it.

Attachments

• Mess.mdat
    2.7 MB · Views: 7

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Those measurements were made without a timing reference being used, so t=0 is placed at the IR peak. Note that phase will also be affected by starting the measurement so far up the range, it creates a sort of high pass effect. Best measuring full range.

Talisker99

Registered
More  
Roland quad capture
Front Speakers
Neumann KH 120
but I used my input 2 of the DVS as a loopback from output 1 as a timing reference... or didn't I ?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You need to tell REW to use a timing reference, the selection is on the Measure dialog.

Talisker99

Registered
More  
Roland quad capture
Front Speakers
Neumann KH 120
UUhhh found it..thanx I'm gonna retry tomorrow. But that window is rather new, isn't it ?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It was an Analysis preference in 5.19, been on the Measure dialog of the 5.20 beta releases for quite a while.

Talisker99

Registered
More  
Roland quad capture
Front Speakers
Neumann KH 120
I didn't update for a long time ;-).... hope it works now, I will let you know

Talisker99

Registered
More  
Roland quad capture
Front Speakers
Neumann KH 120
tadaaa... I knew it was something small and silly..so I picked the loopback as timing reference and I am back in the game. Thanx for your help.

Top Bottom