Subwoofers
SVS 25-31 PCi
Video Display Device
LG 65NANO90UNA
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 665
Other Equipment
Linn Axis turntable
Got my first set of measurements (actually my 2nd, but first was set to 0.0dB and didn't include the sub) using 75dB based on the Sound meter in REW and I'd appreciate any comments. I'm just scratching the surface here and interested to learn how to interpret and leverage REW. If I need to change any of my process please comment.

I'm surprised at the impact that Audyssey has on these measurements. I took a set (single sweep for each speaker at the MLP, with the sub on) both with and without Audyssey. I have Audyssey configured to limit corrections to 300Hz and below, so why are the "with Audyssey" readings not falling off after 7kHz like the "no Audyssey" sweeps?

So any comments on the issues I'm seeing? If this was your room what would you be doing?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, how can I get REW to see my Atmos height speakers? I'm assuming it has to do with my laptop audio settings? I tried setting my laptop (hp Spectre X360 w/ Win 10) to Dolby Atmos but it won't stick, just reverts back to 5.1 Surround. Any tricks?

NOTE: See post #4 for updated mdat file

Attachments

• Mar 27 2021 at 75dB output new speaker location with sub.mdat
    518.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

sam_adams

Average graphs really don't tell us a whole lot without the measurements they were made from. Posting the un-averaged .mdats would be more helpful. You can't get REW to test the height channels because REW doesn't generate the metadata to direct the audio to those channels.

marter

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR-X3600H
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB420
Front Speakers
Elac UB52
Center Channel Speaker
Elac UC52
Surround Speakers
Elac DB52
Front Height Speakers
NHT SuperZero
Rear Height Speakers
NHT SuperZero
Subwoofers
SVS 25-31 PCi
Video Display Device
LG 65NANO90UNA
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 665
Other Equipment
Linn Axis turntable
Average graphs really don't tell us a whole lot without the measurements they were made from. Posting the un-averaged .mdats would be more helpful. You can't get REW to test the height channels because REW doesn't generate the metadata to direct the audio to those channels.
I didn't realize when I did the averages and saved it to the same file that it overwrote all the individual measurements. Learned something right there. Thanks for looking though. I'll repost a new file.

marter

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X3600H
Panasonic UB420
Front Speakers
Elac UB52
Center Channel Speaker
Elac UC52
Surround Speakers
Elac DB52
Front Height Speakers
NHT SuperZero
Rear Height Speakers
NHT SuperZero
Subwoofers
SVS 25-31 PCi
Video Display Device
LG 65NANO90UNA
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 665
Other Equipment
Linn Axis turntable
Here's an updated mdat file with individual measurements. Appreciate any input anyone has.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Mar 28 2021 at 75dB output with sub.mdat
    14.3 MB · Views: 13

sam_adams

Check the polarity on the right front speaker and measure again.

marter

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X3600H
Panasonic UB420
Front Speakers
Elac UB52
Center Channel Speaker
Elac UC52
Surround Speakers
Elac DB52
Front Height Speakers
NHT SuperZero
Rear Height Speakers
NHT SuperZero
Subwoofers
SVS 25-31 PCi
Video Display Device
LG 65NANO90UNA
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 665
Other Equipment
Linn Axis turntable
Check the polarity on the right front speaker and measure again.

View attachment 40655
Thanks for the tip. Not sure where/how you're getting that view and how that's telling you that the polarity is reversed.

I'm going through the Help file to try to understand what all these views are telling me. I don't get the same view you're getting, not sure why. So much to learn here.

sm52

If you turn on the display of Step Response on the Impuls graph, then the Step Response graph must first rise, and on the right front, this graph first drops. Hence the conclusion that the polarity is reversed.
You have a good waterfall. There is a pit at about 130 Hz. And a general observation for all graphs - without Audyssey, the attenuation at low frequencies is better.

Last edited:

marter

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X3600H
Panasonic UB420
Front Speakers
Elac UB52
Center Channel Speaker
Elac UC52
Surround Speakers
Elac DB52
Front Height Speakers
NHT SuperZero
Rear Height Speakers
NHT SuperZero
Subwoofers
SVS 25-31 PCi
Video Display Device
LG 65NANO90UNA
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 665
Other Equipment
Linn Axis turntable
If you turn on the display of Step Response on the Impuls graph, then the Step Response graph must first rise, and on the right front, this graph first drops. Hence the conclusion that the polarity is reversed.
You have a good waterfall. There is a pit at about 130 Hz. And a general observation for all graphs - without Audyssey, the attenuation at low frequencies is better.
Thanks for the comments. I still can't get my graph to look like that but I understand your explanation and it makes sense looking at sam_adams' screenshot.

So I assume the goal here is to get each of these curves as flat as possible, either through physical changes, either by moving speakers and/or furniture or acoustical treatments, or sound corrections. Doesn't look like Audyssey is the answer here, at least the way it's configured. What is a reasonable goal? Looking at my readings what would you try to correct? Or is that even possible to answer?

sm52

I already wrote that there are no big problems. There are small local ones. So you can leave everything as it is. I would reverse the polarity of the wires on the front right. Or found a reason why this speaker has reversed polarity. I would also compare Audyssey's delays with REW's. Press the 'Overlays' button, then 'Impuls'. The delays should be considered relative to the nearest speaker at the pulse peaks. You have it Right front. If you want to see the delay time and distance at once, place the marker on the peak with the mouse, release the left mouse button, press Ctrl and the right button, and drag to the peak you are interested in.

Attachments

• marter.PNG
    marter.PNG
    273.3 KB · Views: 34

marter

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X3600H
Panasonic UB420
Front Speakers
Elac UB52
Center Channel Speaker
Elac UC52
Surround Speakers
Elac DB52
Front Height Speakers
NHT SuperZero
Rear Height Speakers
NHT SuperZero
Subwoofers
SVS 25-31 PCi
Video Display Device
LG 65NANO90UNA
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 665
Other Equipment
Linn Axis turntable
I already wrote that there are no big problems. There are small local ones. So you can leave everything as it is. I would reverse the polarity of the wires on the front right. Or found a reason why this speaker has reversed polarity. I would also compare Audyssey's delays with REW's. Press the 'Overlays' button, then 'Impuls'. The delays should be considered relative to the nearest speaker at the pulse peaks. You have it Right front. If you want to see the delay time and distance at once, place the marker on the peak with the mouse, release the left mouse button, press Ctrl and the right button, and drag to the peak you are interested in.
Thanks, that's very helpful. I guess I expected more issues.

Top Bottom