My Driver Time Alignment Results

Dan Twomey

Supporter
There are two tutorials that guided me through this process. One was the article on the MiniDSP website titled Time-Alignment
The second tutorial was a Youtube video I found quite helpful as well. Time Alingment for Active Crossovers
As far as I know I followed the above instructions to the letter and here are the results.

According to my impulse graphs both my woofers (two-way speaker) require a .12ms delay. Of the whole measuring process the only thing that puzzled me was that I had
to invert the right speaker impulse to make it 'appear' the same as the left.

Regards,
Dan

jtalden

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
The 2 tweeters are shown as the same polarity in the 2 charts above (with the right inverted). The right and left channel tweeters are timed reasonably closely. Both arriving at about -1.2 and -1.25 ms relative to the timing reference. That is about all that can be said given this information. Is that all you are interested in? If needed, I can probably help confirm favorable timing of an XO given the needed measurements.

Dan Twomey

Supporter
The 2 tweeters are shown as the same polarity in the 2 charts above (with the right inverted). The right and left channel tweeters are timed reasonably closely. Both arriving at about -1.2 and -1.25 ms relative to the timing reference. That is about all that can be said given this information. Is that all you are interested in? If needed, I can probably help confirm favorable timing of an XO given the needed measurements.

As far as I know I achieved my one very small goal here. Making sure my woofer and tweeter were time aligned. Are you suggesting I missed something?

Regards,
Dan

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
No - all good. The charts posted were not related to XO timing, but you mentioned it, so I was just unsure if you were looking for confirmation of your settings.

st0nehead_ss

More  
Powersoft x8
Main Amp
Powersoft x8
sorry if this is daft, im getting my head aropund this software, but the timing reference is automatically set at the spike seen at 0? and the driver being tested shown to the left of this?

Dan Twomey

Supporter
sorry if this is daft, im getting my head aropund this software, but the timing reference is automatically set at the spike seen at 0? and the driver being tested shown to the left of this?
Check out the links I posted above. I especially liked the YouTube video.

Regards,
Dan

st0nehead_ss

More  
Powersoft x8
Main Amp
Powersoft x8
Check out the links I posted above. I especially liked the YouTube video.

Regards,
Dan
i have seen those ones, the animated one is good. so im guessing the spike to the right is your sub where you have set t=0 at cursor?

sm52

i have seen those ones, the animated one is good. so im guessing the spike to the right is your sub where you have set t=0 at cursor?
The sub will have a different shape. It is possible that two drivers are running at the same time. Or is it a very strong reflection.
Of the whole measuring process the only thing that puzzled me was that I had
to invert the right speaker impulse to make it 'appear' the same as the left.
This suggests that either there is confusion in the connection wires, or the wires are mixed up inside the speaker enclosure..

Last edited:
Top Bottom