Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Monstrous

Movie: :2.5stars:
Video: :3.5stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras:
Final Score: :2.5stars:

Movie

I know it’s weird, but I actually didn’t recognize Christina Ricci when I saw that her name was on the credits list for the film. I am so used to her raven black hair and being Wednesday Addams that it took me by surprise to see her in a 1950s outfit and a brunette (or at the very least, a VERY dirty blonde). That being said, I really wanted to see her in a horror movie, and indie ones can surprise you with their quality. However, I was more than a bit surprised by what turned out to be a horror film in veneer only, and instead a psychological movie dealing with mental illness and grief at it’s core.

Laura (Christina Ricci) and her son Cody (Santino Barnard) are on the run from Laura’s abusive husband, and hole up in a small town in what appears to be the late 1950s to keep away from his clutches. Things seem to be going well at first. Laura gets a job as a typist in town, Cody is trying to make new friends, and the farmhouse that they’re renting is out of the way enough. However, Cody soon begins to start seeing monsters coming from the lake. Monsters that reach out to him and call to him to come be with them.

At first you start to think that there are monsters there, but the clues are pretty obvious that Laura is dealing with a psychological break due to her split with her husband. She starts falling into deep slumbers and sees said monster, and Cody starts to act a little bit “odd”. Little by little, bit by bit Laura begins to fall deeper and deeper down the well of insanity until the “monster” may be the most sane thing in her life.

As I said, Monstrous is a horror movie in veneer only. Instead it’s a psychological thriller dealing with Laura’s mental instability and her some supernatural elements woven in. I won’t spoil the twist of the movie, but many people are going to see it coming a mile away. Especially once the identity of the “monster” is revealed later on in the film. It’s not super clever, but I do give the writers some credit weaving in the issues of mental health and grief while using the horror element as a vehicle to get them over the finish line.

It’s mainly a 2 person show with Laura and Cody being the main brunt of the speaking parts, with a few cameos by side characters to fill in the blanks. Ricci does a solid job playing the psychologically damaged mother, and Santino is pretty impressive as Cody. The movie itself is cliched in the twist and how it plays out, but I kind of liked how they blurred the genre lines between horror and thriller as they did. Not a super duper exciting movie, but it does have it’s moments. Especially when you start piecing the clues together in the final act. The ending is a bit jarring and makes you roll your eyes realizing you’ve seen this exact same plot twist in M. Knight Shamalamadingdong movies before, so the impact is a little. BUUUUUUUUUUT as stated, still rather entertaining.

Rating:

Rated PG-13 for Terror, thematic elements and brief violence

Video: :3.5stars:
The digitally shot movie doesn’t have a whole lot of information the cameras used and master rendered at for the home video release, but I’m guessing a 2K master judging by the look. The film is VERY heavily stylized to make it look dreamy and older (1950s era). Some shots can be exceptionally bright and clear (outdoor shots when Laura is speaking to her landlords), while interior shots and shots inside her work are REALLY REALLY hazy and the whites are blown straight out. Like I’m talking milky and white with digital noise coming into play. Detail levels range from really good to mediocre depending on the shot as a result. Black levels are naturally very milky with that gauzy haze like filter over the top, and the blown whites down help a ton. Bright red items like the lipstick laura wears, or blue of the car sparkle through, but overall tones are more peach and brown in coloring. Definitely a unique visual experience.

Audio: :4stars:
The 5.1 DTS-HD MA track fares a little bit better. It’s a solid mix with a nice sense of ambiance, especially during the monster scenes. However, outside of the monster visiting, or Cody showing off some weird telekinetic powers, the track is distinctly forward heavy with dialog being the major focus. However, that dialog is still crystal clear and located in the center channel like you’d expect. It’s not a super awesome mix that will shake the rafters or blow you away, but still a technically well done track that does everything asked of it.

Extras:

Final Score: :2.5stars:

Monstrous is kind of a cool flick, but one that has a lot of problems in relation to CGI, pacing, and the final act which feels very much “been there, done that” in how it wraps up the plot elements. However, I honestly was rather intrigued by how it would turn out, even though it’s a slow burn horror flick. The video is a bit wonky too, but audio is solid and extras are non-existant, so while it’s not a skip it type movie, I’d definitely wait for a Netflix rental before dropping coin on the Blu-ray.

Technical Specifications:

Starring:Christina Ricci, Santino Barnard, Don Durrell, Colleen Camp
Directed by: Chris Silvertson
Written by: Carol Chrest
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 5.1, English DD 2.0
Subtitles: English
Studio: Screen Media
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 92 minutes
Blu-Ray Release Date: July 5th, 2022

Recommendation: Netflix it.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. Will look for it once available on streaming channels. :)

Top Bottom