Minidsp 2x4 hd vs avg meassurement

Thomas Larsen

Registered
Hi saw on minidsp homepage that their tutorials has changed regarding REW and subwoofer meassurements. They recommend that you meassure more e.g. 3 positions and then use the avg. response for yor EQ. How many use that ? I always only use one position in the MLP and eq that.
The multi position thing is kind of the audyssey way of doing.
Pros / cons of both ?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RX-Z9 A/V Receiver
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Plus D
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (subs)
Subwoofers
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Subscriptions
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
I’m a MLP-only guy for manual EQ. After that, I personally I’ve always found the SQ perfectly acceptable in other locations – can’t tell a difference at any seat on the couch, even though they all measure a bit different.

Never have used Audyssey.

Regards,
Wayne

Last edited:

JStewart

Supporter
Makes sense as the sub response can change a bit even just a few inches away.
There’s also the “moving mic method” of measuring a response to eq.

sam_adams

Hi saw on minidsp homepage that their tutorials has changed regarding REW and subwoofer meassurements. They recommend that you meassure more e.g. 3 positions and then use the avg. response for yor EQ. How many use that ? I always only use one position in the MLP and eq that.
The multi position thing is kind of the audyssey way of doing.
Pros / cons of both ?
Just remember to use the Vector Average when averaging responses to include the phase data for creating EQ filters.

Greg Dunn

One day I was curious about how well the moving mic technique matched averaged swept measurements. I have used only MMM for the last year or two because it is so easy and quick to set up, but I wondered...

So what I did was take about a dozen separate swept measurements at the LP, and at surrounding points about a foot away - in front, behind, above, below. These measurements looked about as different as you might expect. I then vector averaged them and got a composite average response. Then I ran a MMM with pseudorandom noise, very carefully, transiting the same volume I had just used for the swept tests. In both cases, I was measuring from about 15 Hz up to around 15 kHz (my hearing's upper limit).

The result? My MMM amplitude response was essentially identical to the averaged set.

I have manually (as well as using REW) created filters based on the MMM result, and the outcome was audibly the same. I have no reason to doubt the MMM results in my room, and it's almost trivially easy to get a measurement that correlates well to what I hear. As long as you take care to set it up properly and use pseudorandom noise, I have no problem recommending it for subwoofer setup.

Top Bottom