Microsoft Surface Pro 4

GFOviedo

A few days ago, I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, 128 GB SSD drive, Intel i5, 4 GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro. I needed a laptop for school, and I was able to get this on sale for $635. Regular price is $999.99, but it is on sale now for $899.99 at Best Buy.

The bad: It is expensive. It takes forever to download and install new Microsoft updates. I encounter many errors while attempting to update drivers, and software.

The Good: pretty responsive. The pen works well.

Note: I ended up returning it since one of my vehicles needs a new A/C for a total of $850. I wouldn't recommend buying one of these at full price, but if you can get it on sale for $635, I would definitely buy it. Amazon had it for $640 and it came with the keyboard as well, which cost about $160 dollars for one.

Attachments

• IMG_3562.JPG
    IMG_3562.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3563.JPG
    IMG_3563.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3565.JPG
    IMG_3565.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3566.JPG
    IMG_3566.JPG
    937.2 KB · Views: 19

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
That is a good deal for the notebook. Sorry to hear about the need for a new A/C for the vehicle.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
With regards to the bad, the only thing I'd agree with is the cost. It doesn't matter what windows device you buy, it always has to update once it's activated. And those updates can be excruciatingly long, especially when there are errors. On the plus side, once updated, you rarely have to suffer through a painful update process again.

I would not trade my Surface Pro 4 for anything at the moment and it's close to 2 years old. I do pretty much everything on it. Although I have had issues running Chromapure on it. But I don't know if it's the Surface or the software. I'd highly recommend the Surface Pro! :T:T

GFOviedo

With regards to the bad, the only thing I'd agree with is the cost. It doesn't matter what windows device you buy, it always has to update once it's activated. And those updates can be excruciatingly long, especially when there are errors. On the plus side, once updated, you rarely have to suffer through a painful update process again.

I would not trade my Surface Pro 4 for anything at the moment and it's close to 2 years old. I do pretty much everything on it. Although I have had issues running Chromapure on it. But I don't know if it's the Surface or the software. I'd highly recommend the Surface Pro! :T:T

Surface Pro 5 is coming out soon from what I was told at Best Buy. So the Surface Pro 4's will get discounted more often.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
My kids' school issued them Surface Pros... cool devices. Our household is loaded with Apple products, so I was curious to see how they responded to a Microsoft experience. Seems to have gone fine. I'm certainly impressed with the pen feature (especially for school purposes, such as note taking while reading an e-book). Pretty incredible that a teacher downloads class notes/slides directly to every student's computer and they can make notes direct to the slides.

GFOviedo

My kids' school issued them Surface Pros... cool devices. Our household is loaded with Apple products, so I was curious to see how they responded to a Microsoft experience. Seems to have gone fine. I'm certainly impressed with the pen feature (especially for school purposes, such as note taking while reading an e-book). Pretty incredible that a teacher downloads class notes/slides directly to every student's computer and they can make notes direct to the slides.

That's the main reason why I bought the Surface Pro for school. Apple just can't match the Surface Pro ability to take notes. I was very impressed with the Pen feature as well. My employer is trying to implement iPads "to make our job easier," and it just got harder since Apple and Microsoft Office doesn't play as nice as on the PC.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
The two ecosystems certainly don't intersect well. I've used Apple products since college (early 90s) and have never felt the need to switch back over. But, I can certainly see the appeal of the Surface's pen feature. Technology is amazing - and that feature is a huge selling point IMO.

What kind of schooling are jumping into?

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
I'll have to look and see what's new with the 5. Can always give my 4 to my wife!

GFOviedo

The two ecosystems certainly don't intersect well. I've used Apple products since college (early 90s) and have never felt the need to switch back over. But, I can certainly see the appeal of the Surface's pen feature. Technology is amazing - and that feature is a huge selling point IMO.

What kind of schooling are jumping into?

I'm going back to complete my bachelor's degree in Business. I wanted to do Business specializing in Accounting, but they don't offer that online. So, I had to settle for the Business Management Program, and by taking some accounting classes I'll have a minor in Accounting for now. I've got 18 months to go.

Top Bottom