REW Beta Release Microphone issue, windows

bvocal

Hi John, moving from v 5.20 beta 1 to beta 2 broke the microphone system on my machine, as in it sounds like a CD skipping wildly back in the old days... It has stayed broken with beta 3, this behavior happens regardless of the mic or the sound input used.
I wish I could be more help... I tried hard to find the issue but couldn't, then went and updated my old laptop last night and today the mic was behaving the same as my desktop, went back to previous version, 5.19 v12, and the mic worked, so I uninstalled REW on my desktop and reinstalled with 5.20 beta 1 and the mic is now working.

Side question, what is JRE?

Thanks for everything.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
JRE = Java Runtime Environment, the code that runs Java, which is the language REW is written in.

Do you mean to say mic? Normally only REW can 'hear' the mic, the signal from it gets captured by REW for processing but nothing from the mic should get to the speakers, that would create a feedback loop. What are the circumstances where you hear something unusual, i.e. exactly what stage of using REW?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you hear something unusual during level checks it is probably this from 5.20 beta 2:
  • Switched level checks to using Pink PN instead of random pink noise for faster and more accurate level readings
It is a better way to do it, but it sounds different.

bvocal

JRE = Java Runtime Environment, the code that runs Java, which is the language REW is written in.

Do you mean to say mic? Normally only REW can 'hear' the mic, the signal from it gets captured by REW for processing but nothing from the mic should get to the speakers, that would create a feedback loop. What are the circumstances where you hear something unusual, i.e. exactly what stage of using REW?

Doing a level check in either preferences or measure. But the measurements are messed up, too. And I can't imagine the noise I hear when doing the level check is an intentional one, it certainly does not sound like the pink PM I just checked in this versions generator.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I found a bug related to this that could cause the full range pink PN signal to be used instead of the sub or speaker cal signal. I've fixed that, but I've also added a soundcard preference to choose whether to use periodic pink noise for level checks, with the default being to use random pink noise.

bvocal

I have reinstalled 5.2 beta 3 and recorded the sound I get... but I am not allowed to upload an mp3 file here.

bvocal

OK, my bad, apologies all around. Thank you for sorting me out.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It was still the wrong pink PN signal, my fault, not yours. Beta 4 is now available to fix it.

Top Bottom