Mic cal files

Greg Dunn

I recently got a Dayton UMM-6 to use as a secondary mic to back up my UMIK-1. It took me two tries to get a working mic (not a good sign) and then when I compared it to the UMIK, it has a severe roll-off on the high end. The cal files for the two mics are in fact not that different. I posted here about the differences, and tried several times to reconcile them with no luck.

So, assuming that the mics were in fact different, and always trying to understand what I'm doing, I decided to edit the UMM-6 cal file to see if I could alter the calibrated response and maybe get them a little closer. To my surprise, changing the UMM-6 cal file (I made some big changes, because otherwise it would have been hard to tell) made no difference in the RTA measured using the mic. I was careful to get the sample rates matched, and noted that the updated cal file was the only one listed in REW's preferences (I had to delete the original, in the process). Obviously I'm doing something wrong here, but never having messed with the cal files, it's not clear what.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Which REW version are you running?

If you are on Windows on a V5.20 version be careful of the cal entry names. If a device is plugged into a different USB port Windows make a new name for it with "2 -" at the start for the 2nd port it was used on, "3 -" for the 3rd etc. Those are different devices as far as REW is concerned, so there will be entries for each of them. Make sure you are changing the file on the right entry.

Mic cal files do not take any account of sample rate so not sure about your comment on matching sample rates, only soundcard cal files are specific to a sample rate.

Greg Dunn

Mac, latest release 5.20. I only see the one cal file; in fact, I deleted the unmodified UMM-6 file's entry in REW when I changed cal files and quit the program between test runs - doing everything I could think of to avoid confusion between files. The UMM-6 is clearly identified as the input mic when it's active, as is the UMIK-1, so it seems that REW is selecting the correct mic.

I'll try this again, from the start, and make sure I have the edited file only in my directory so there's no chance of confusion.

Top Bottom