Measurements for crossover design

Twags689

Registered
Hello all,

I'm pretty new to this stuff and trying to learn as I go. My friend and I installed a new tweeter and woofer into a 1970's console. My next objective is to design the crossover. I planned on taking a measurement of the tweeter a meter away at 2.83V and gating the measurement to get the tweeter's response. I then figured I'd do the same for the woofer to get its sensitivity rating, as I believe this will let me know how much I need to attenuate the woofer's SPL response of the next step. I figured I would take a nearfield response of the woofer, though as I understand is not ideal, since the console is so heavy to move outdoors and we are in the dead of winter here in Wisconsin. My question is, since I'm moving the position of the mic from the tweeter (1m) to the woofer (nearfield) to get separate measurements, do I need to account for anything else besides the increase in SPL by moving the mic closer to the woofer? I somewhat understand that the nearfield response of the woofer will not show me the baffle step and maybe some other cabinet problems, but I'm more concerned with the crossover of the two drivers and phase alignment at this point. After I get the proper responses I was going to export the values as .frd files into one of the free xover designers out there. The impedance curves I will get from my Dats v3. Thanks all.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Measuring from different positions will make it difficult to get phase data from the two measurements that can be used for phase alignment. Making measurements from the 1m position for each driver with a timing reference would make that easier, room effects aside.

Top Bottom