Matrojig, a measured jig with everything built-in

trobbins

VIP Supporter
The influence of harmonics generated within a test jig is imho very much related to the DUT and application. I'd guess that many speakers have orders of magnitude higher distortion levels than typically seen in a test jig, and that type of measurement also needs an appreciation of the influence of microphone related distortion. Perhaps an amplifier DUT, or an external oscillator DUT is likely to have distortion levels approaching the test jig.

Within a test jig, there may need to be an awareness of the distortion levels of parts of the jig, such as the DAC and output circuit section of a soundcard, and the input circuit and ADC section of a soundcard, and any buffer type section within a test jig. Measuring the individual contributions of distortion from sections can be quite difficult (and not absolute) as the test-jig itself is involved in the measurement (unless one is lucky enough to have a separate distortion measurement system that adequately exceeds the performance of the test jig). I've had a go at identifying the harmonic distortion performance of the input circuit and ADC section of my soundcard by inserting a notch filter in the loopback - whilst that technique is appropriate, it relies on a good tuneable notch filter being available, and can only be applied on one test frequency at a time. Another technique using fixed attenuation in the loopback may also add some insight, but may quickly run in to noise floor issues of the test jig. Distortion measurement of a buffer type section within a test jig is sort of like measuring an external amp, but there is still the uncertainty of how much the DAC and/or ADC sections are influencing the result, and how well that uncertainty can be constrained.

xmag

I have a question for you REW experts: The attached image shows the RTA stepped sine. Why is the level between 0dB and down different from time to time when measuring? When I measured with a jig a few days ago it was at -3dB but today it is at -9dB. What controls that level?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Any gain controls in the input path will affect that level, along with the excitation level, of course. It can also be shifted by 3 dB by the "Full scale sine rms is 0 dBFS" View preference, which would normally be selected. If that isn't selected the rms level for a full scale sine input is -3.01 dBFS.

The level of the signal generated in output and sampled in input to the sound card depends not only on the settings on REV but also on the level set on the operating system mixer. So you have to make sure that the output and input level of the sound card are normalized and always the same.

Greetings
Antonio

xmag

Thanks to both of you! I always use the same settings but today REW changed from -3dB to -9dB with the same jig and the same settings. I get to touch a little on the settings and see what affects this.

Top Bottom