Movie: :2stars:
4K Video: :4.5stars:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :4.5stars:
Extras: :2.5stars:
Final Score: :3.5stars:

full?lightbox=1&update=1551212611.jpg
Movie

For such a film rife with historical information to pull from, and rife with the ability to literally be a female version of Braveheart (for those not familiar with Mary Queen of Scots demise, it’ll make sense if you pick up a history book and read about the fabled Queen of Scotland instead of having to slog through this turgid mess of a film), Mary Queen of Scots laboriously tells the story of Mary Stuart and her rise and fall from grace as one of the last lone queens of Scotland. I had high hopes for Mary Queen of Scots (based off of her biography by John Guy) due to the fact that Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie, but the end result is a film that just slogs its way through the more exciting bits of history with liberal use of historical inaccuracies in an effort to appeal to 2018 sensibilities and checking off human interest points (including a lot of female empowerment conversations between the two queens that have no basis in history) to drive the paint by the numbers film rather than make a compelling drama.

England and Scotland are on shaky ground with each other during Queen Elizabeth’s (Margot Robbie, playing the Virgin Queen) reign as the religious wars are BARELY held under wraps. Elizabeth and her monarchy are under Protestant rule, while the Scots are still heavily Catholic by nature. However, England has the advantage of Scotland not having a reigning monarch with a crown so peace is shakily drawn out. However, this comes to an end when Mary Stuart, after the death of her French husband, comes back to Scotland and intends to reign as Queen of Scotland (by the way, this is not to be confused with Mary Tudor, e.g., Bloody Mary, who was 60 years prior to this story). To make matters worse, Mary has a claim to the throne of England that Elizabeth 1st has and the Virgin Queen is insistent that Mary be married off to someone that she could control.

Thus steps in the dramatic/romantic miring of the film as Mary finds “love” with a courtesan of Elizabeth and finds herself giving birth to an heir (James, who would become the first Monarch to rule BOTH England and Scotland at the same time), and is deposed by her own half brother and the civil war that Elizabeth herself has formented in order to keep control of England and her throne out of Mary’s hand. What results is a glorious mess of sex, intrigue, double crossing, and a paint by the numbers story that is more content with having 2018 social issues checked off 1 by 1 rather than making a compelling historical drama.
I mention that Mary Queen of Scots tries heavily to deal with 2018 sensibilities, and I mean that QUITE adamantly. For a film that tries so hard to get period piece costumes and accents just right, it fails so miserably in telling an accurate story. You’re much better off picking up a history book and reading about Mary Queen of Scots rather than pull anything accurate out of the film we’re watching right now. The entire dalliance with her love, his gay relationship with her man servant, the ENTIRE “sisterhood” sub plot with Elizabeth 1st and pretty much 80 % of the movie never happened! It’s like director Josie Rourke went out of her way to make a checklist of things that would win accolades at the Oscars (gay coupling, feminist underpinnings with Mary and Elizabeth, heart break) and then just acted them out in the most turgidly boring manner possible.

I will give props to Margot Robbie and Saoirse Ronan though. Despite an incredibly boring script and lackluster directing, both of the two ladies managed to give REALLY strong performances. Margot is incredibly dark and foreboding as the fearful Queen of England, and Saoirse exudes a sweet innocence and sense of confidence that totally makes you root for her (rather than the usurper she attempted to be in real life). The same can be said for the period piece costumes. The sets are just lavish and the dress incredibly perfect. However, these are about the only two good things in the entire movie, which itself is just a painful exercise in patience to get through.

Rating:

Rated R for some violence and sexuality

4K Video: :4.5stars: Video: :4stars:
Watching both the Blu-ray and the 4K UHD discs back to back really shows the differences between the two, and in both good and bad ways. The good is that this 4K UHD disc is head and shoulders above the 1080p Blu-ray, and the bad thing is that you’re now spoiled on good 4K discs. The Blu-ray had some problems resolving the black levels in the dark and dingy castle sequences and the slightly gray and ashen landscapes of the Scottish countryside appeared overly soft. The 4K presentation completely alleviates those issues with HDR/DV and the higher bitrate and higher resolution allows for a crispness and clarity that wasn’t present in the Blu-ray. The castles really are dark and dingy, with slight ashen coloring to the Scottish portions of the movie, and while that may seem daunting (as the Blu-ray was seen to be) the HDR (and Dolby Vision) really allow the black levels to shine and the saturation of the period piece costumes to shine through without having a loss in visual clarity and depth. Fine details across clothing is incredible, while the moors look hauntingly beautiful with an array of deep colors. The English courts are more garish and vividly colored, with a cleaner looking that is more clinical and history book like of the English paintings. While I liked the Blu-ray for taking on a very challenging visual palette, the 4K UHD disc is just head and shoulders above it.

Audio: :4.5stars:
Universal once again puts the Atmos track on BOTH the 4K UHD and the “lowly” 1080p Blu-ray, so this portion of the technical review will cover both discs. The Atmos track is a fantastic accompaniment to the disc and one of the biggest highlights of the home media package. The sound design is both intricate and simple, switching between a simple forward heavy dialog based movie, and one that is awash in an immersive auditory landscape. The opening shot of the film is Mary on the seaside, with waves splashing all around the listener, and thundering off in the distance. The surrounds get heavy use throughout the film with the clatter and hustle of a busy castle, as well as the more intense moments on the field of battle. Even the wind whipping through the Scottish moors have a tactile and distinct tone to them. Overheads make great use of the castle walls, with echoes coming in from above and behind, and the dialog itself is picture perfect, evenly balanced, and clean at all times. Overall this is a near perfect track for an imperfect film.

Extras: :2stars:
Feature Commentary with Director Josie Rourke and Composer Max Richter
• An Epic Confrontation - Fetaurette
• Tudor Feminism - Featurette
• Something About Marys - Featurette

Final Score: :3.5stars:

Mary Queen of Scots had the potential to be a very solid historical drama, but really ended up being a turgid, boorish film that just takes actual effort to slog through. The period piece costumes were great, the performances of Robbie and Ronan fantastic, and the technical specs for the 4K UHD disc being the real deal, but none of that can overcome the frustration of actually watching the movie itself. Universal did a great job with the technical aspects of the film, with the only exception being the rather middling extras ensconced on the disc. While some fans of historical dramas may want to check it out, personally I would just skip the film entirely and pick up a history book if you’re at all interested in Mary Queen of Scots.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Saoirse Ronan, Margo Robbie, Jack Lowden, Angela Bain, Richard Cant, Guy Rhys, Izuka Hoyle, Simon Russell Beale
Directed by: Josie Rourke
Written by: Beau Willimon (Screenplay), John Guy (Novel, " Queen of Scots: The True Life of Mary Stuart")
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 HEVC
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core) French DD 7.1 Plus, Spanish DD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Studio: Universal
Rated: R
Runtime: 124 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: February 26th, 2019

Recommendation: Skip It

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Wow and I thought this movie was going to get nominated for something since they mentioned it at the Oscars.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
"turgid"

Mike - you get the vocab award of the week. And I can tell you this... no movie described as turgid will ever enter my disc player.

Thanks for taking a hit on this one. It's almost time to replace that bullet proof vest!

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
"turgid"

Mike - you get the vocab award of the week. And I can tell you this... no movie described as turgid will ever enter my disc player.

Thanks for taking a hit on this one. It's almost time to replace that bullet proof vest!

lol, that there turgid disc. You're welcome, I just want the 4 hours of my life back it took to watch both versions

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Wow and I thought this movie was going to get nominated for something since they mentioned it at the Oscars.

yeah, it got nominated for best costume pieces. Didn't win I believe.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. Will skip it.. Too bad. I do like period pieces but will skip this. :)

Top Bottom