MartinLogan Expression 13A Electrostatic Speaker Review with ARC

Manufacturer & Model
MartinLogan Expression 13A
MSRP
$14,995
Link
https://www.martinlogan.com/expression-esl-13a/index.php
Highlights
Low distortion, great imaging, effortless delivery at high output levels, with optional Anthem Room Correction (ARC) via the Perfect Bass Kit (PBK).
Summary
The MartinLogan Expression 13A electrostatic speakers are a great choice for 2-channel and home cinema environments. They present a huge sound stage and superb detail that is rarely matched.
full?d=1492492874.jpg

MartinLogan Electrostatic Magic
by Wayne Myers
Each time I walk into Cedar Creek Cinema (CCC) at the beginning of an AV get-together weekend, there is something different about it. For my last visit, it was the stately pair of MartinLogan Expression ESL 13A electrostatic speakers. This review will be about the 13A speakers and the journey to properly introduce them into the Cedar Creek Cinema sonic environment.

Robert Pirsig, in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, said that a work of art is complete when the artist and his materials both come to rest relative to each other. I always liked that way of thinking about the creation process, but never thought about it in the context of speaker setup and room treatment until working with the Expression 13A. After several days of planning, implementing, listening, measuring, adjusting, listening some more, then incrementally refining and finally hearing a result that was both exhilarating and relaxing at the same time, I realized that Pirsig's description also fits the work of speaker and room configuration and calibration. Does that make us artists? Perhaps, after a fashion, when you consider the peaceful exhilaration we are used to and insist upon and pursue to its final attainment.

There are so many excellent speaker choices available to the listener these days that a review like this becomes less about whether a speaker is good vs. not-so-good and more about where a given speaker might work best and how to get it to do so. In this case, the Expression 13A, with proper subwoofer support, must deliver STRONG bass, reach high volumes, ultra-low electrostatic distortion, be EQually comfortable handling cinema and two-channel tracks, and provide pinpoint imaging with the huge 3-dimensional soundstage that we have grown accustomed to in this room. That's all!

Expression 13A Premium Electrostatic Loudspeaker
The speakers being reviewed are the MartinLogan Expression ESL 13A hybrid electrostatic loudspeakers. The Expressions 13A are priced at $14,995 retail point on the lineup for MartinLogan, featuring their new 13-inch panel and dual 10-inch powered woofers, each with its own amplification and DSP.

The 24-bit DSP built into the Expression 13A serves two purposes. Anthem Room Correction (ARC) helps smooth out the LF interaction with your room, for one. In fine-tuning of the integration of ESL panel and LF drivers, an area of expertise in which the ML engineering team already excels, the DSP also affords the 13A its +/- 10 dB bass (below 75 Hz) and +/- 2 dB mid-bass controls for user tuning of those ranges.

The new, larger panel design used for the Expression 13A is a plus for those who want high output and low distortion. I have found the newer panel designs to provide improved off-axis performance, an important quality for the SS&I (sound stage & imaging) hounds who use off-axis listening angles to fine-tune the SS&I experience and hope for minimum HF response degradation in the process. Stronger frames around the panels add rigidity and strength to the panels. Cabinet work is always first-rate, but that is a minimum-level expectation that most reputable speaker manufacturers know they must meet. Sonnie’s 13A pair came in a Walnut finish, one of the four standard finish options. Gloss Black, Gloss White, and Dark Cherry are the other three. Seven additional +premium finishes are also available.

Custom binding posts and custom feet with spikes built in come on each Expression 13A.

Setup and Configuration
Our main priorities were (1) strong bass and (2) room correction for all channels for the best SS&I possible. We thought this could be accomplished by running Dirac Live for 2-channel and Audyssey XT-32 for surround, since the Denon AVR could provide 11 channels of correction and the DDRC-88M was limited to 8 channels. But we were foiled by some HDMI limitation between the OPPO player and the Denon AVR, and could not get a navigation display on our cinema screen for 2-channel listening when switching to the DDRC-88BM. This was the case with both Direct and Pure Direct mode in the AVR.

With the Dirac Live unit moved downstream of the Denon AVR, and the use of L/R Mains Passthrough mode in the Denon AVR, we found the best of all worlds. Bass enhancement in the neighborhood of 15 dB at 20 Hz and smooth, tight bass was accomplished through a combination of distance adjustments, and Dirac and Audyssey room correction, along with custom parametric filtering below 300 Hertz. Dirac Live also gave us impulse response correction for higher frequencies and Audyssey provided the bass boost desired for all channels. Along the way, we passed through multiple setup refinements before finally ending up at this desired configuration.

Are you feeling a little lost? So did we, many a time. In the end, the frequency ranges of the system L/R Mains signals were handled as follows:
  • LF up to 60 Hz - SVS PB16 Ultra subwoofers with internal PEQ plus Audyssey XT-32
  • 60 Hz to 80 Hz transition between subwoofers and Expression 13A - PEQ filters in DDRC-88BM, affecting only the 13A signal, to correct a couple of minor frequency response errors in the transition range affected by them both; also, the subwoofer distance settings in the AVR were tweaked to help smooth this transition range
  • 60 Hz to 300 Hz - Expression 13A woofers with ARC plus Dirac Live correction and custom target curve
  • 300 Hz to 20 kHz - Expression 13A electrostatic panels with Dirac LIve correction and custom target curve
Dirac Live now provides correction for the L & R Mains, where sound stage and imaging (SS&I) requirements are most stringent, and Audyssey provides correction for all of the other channels. That means Audyssey will correct the two subwoofer channels and must work seamlessly with Dirac Live correction for the Expression 13A, not just for music but for all program types. Along with this, the ARC correction in the Expression 13A is active at all times, acting as pre-correcting bass to the Expression 13A.

First Impressions
Upon my arrival, I found the 13A set up with the PBK ARC correction calibrated and active in the 13A and with Audyssey XT-32 calibrated and active in the Denon AVR. Initial listening tests were very pleasing, featuring a crisp, clean sound typical of electrostatics. The imaging was very good but not as sharp as I knew it could be. An impromptu shift forward in the listen seat showed that a slight outward shift in the 13A toe angle would improve it. But the placement symmetry was so good already that we elected to allow the soon-to-be-implemented Dirac Live room correction to do the fine finishing work on the SS&I, and it did.

This is a strategic decision every user faces. In my own systems I tend to go overboard getting the physical speaker position and raw SS&I as near perfect as possible, putting minimum burden on the room correction tool, generally Dirac Live in my systems. But most will prefer the speedier and less tedious approach of getting SS&I into the “good” to “very good” range and letting Dirac Live do the rest - with top-drawer results. It boils down to a matter of personal preference and one’s obedience to his own obsessive drives.

I noticed right away that the bass was just a little flabby or not well-controlled. Turning off Audyssey tightened the bass significantly. This loose-bass effect remained a potential issue when we were pushing full-range bass to the woofers of the 13A with room correction and with no subwoofers running, even with the 13A ARC active. With the DSP and internal amplification and ARC feature, it was not obvious why this would be so. But since we were headed toward always having subwoofers active for all types of program material, cutting off subwoofer frequencies to the 13A removed that nuisance effect, so we did not spend much time chasing the mystery.

The Expression 13A with ARC calibration active in the woofer frequency range up to 300 Hz did a very satisfactory job of keeping the bass tight and accurate. Typical room mode effects appeared with the ARC turned off, a situation we put up with for only a few tracks. The symmetrical woofer arrangement gives the benefit of potentially reducing that effect in some situations, along with thoughtful physical placement of the speakers themselves in the room. Sonnie was way ahead in that category, the physical placement was impeccably symmetrical in the exact spot where many other speaker models had given their best in this room. The accuracy of the uncorrected SS&I told us, “Leave that placement alone” in our system config experiments.

Believers that little should be left to chance concerning the rear wave from an electrostatic panel, we were already dealing with reflective panels behind the 13A at the front wall, intending to take control of the direction from which the rear wave arrives at the LP relative to the 13A front wave, and additionally helping match the timing of those reflected waves. Some minor adjustments in their placement contributed to a delivery that had impact and energy and gave heightened sense of depth acuity to the imaging. My own approach to treatment of the front of the room, especially with dipoles, gets a little involved and will be documented elsewhere. Improvement in image clarity, detail, and impact are the big payoffs.

We put to use the well-known technique of pre-EQing low frequencies in systems that will use room correction so that Audyssey or Dirac Live will have an “easier job” working at those crucial, and sometimes challenging, room mode frequencies. We had the ARC in the 13A and several bands of Parametric EQ available in the dual PB16 Ultra subwoofers, which were also placed in well-proven locations in the room. With pre-EQ applied in the 13A and the subwoofers, we got exceptionally clean and flat, well-controlled bass with no flabbiness.

With pre-EQ applied to the 13A with ARC and PEQ in the PB16 Ultra subs, and Audyssey XT-32 calibration active in the Denon AVR and the subwoofer crossover in the AVR at 60 Hz, we then found that switching the AVR to L/R Mains Passthrough mode would deactivate Audyssey processing to the 13A and allow us to run Dirac Live to correct them. Crossover and timing adjustments plus a few additional PEQ sections were included in fine-tuning efforts as shown below.

If that sounds a little complicated to follow, it was. Several times we had to redo pieces of the calibration process because we realized a step had been skipped or done in the wrong order or we had misunderstood how a mode change would affect a crucial setting.

The final result of all of this was simply superb. Many of the little tweaks toward the end of our process were to flatten response bumps and dips that were bothersome more to our analytical left brains and would probably never be heard. But we do it anyway, because we can and must!

It is also important to note that at many points in our evaluation process we focused on the sound of the Expression 13A "native," with ARC active and no other correction or EQ in place. Many listeners will choose a straightforward setup such as this in their rooms. The effortless neutrality of delivery from the electrostatic panels is a quality that one must witness to appreciate. It is a combination of smooth, extended frequency response with low distortion that makes that delivery possible. The addition of ARC for the woofers to help conquer room modes is a huge plus and will be all the equalization that many will dream of needing.

On top of all of this, the Expression 13A can dish out all the bass that many listeners will be looking for. Sonnie likes an extra measure of low bass that calls for subwoofer support, but the dual-woofer design, with 300 Watts of continuous power per, will crank out bass down to the low 20 Hz range with ease.

A final note on distortion. Through the frequency range of the panels, the measured distortion of all harmonics remains consistently low, all grouped together, and smooth, with nothing to stand out and annoy, if one can think of the distortion curve for a single harmonic as smooth. These details, easily overlooked, all add up to a sound that is less than the sum of its parts, that sum adding up to the effortlessness of sound we are referring to.

Their ability to image can blow minds, although a dipole speaker can take a bit of positional tweaking to get to that point of imaging magic. I have heard electrostatics that were set up at trade shows that left listeners wondering what all the hoopla was about. But persistence pays off, and we heard electrostatic magic galore in our sessions, with and without the extra room correction referred to.

Listening Evaluation
Music

“Ain’t It A Shame” - B-52's - One of a few favorite test tracks that I have heard hundreds of times, and I have learned to listen for certain detailed characteristics in the SS&I. The vocal echoes are especially telltale. When the L and R reflected wave is carefully timed so their delays match, those echoes coalesce and sharpen in the upper right corner of the ss with a sharp outline and clarity that pulls it forward from vagueness to stark sharp image in its own right. What was once barely noticed now insists on the listener’s attention. This effect is heightened with Dirac Live to the point of “messing with your head,” but with enough care in setup, the 13A are more than capable of getting you close on their own. In fact, I was surprised at how close to “corrected” the 13A could sound without correction applied. The difference with A-B switching was easy to hear, mainly due to high frequency rolloff. But to walk into the room and listen without knowing it, one might very well not be able to tell that Dirac was turned off.

“Vision Of A Kiss” - B-52's - The strummed octaves from the guitar on the left is almost made delicate by the simple clarity of their tone, the hand claps on the chorus almost seem to slap you. The impact that is experienced by the careful attention to the impulse response alignment is impressive on this track. The strummed acoustic guitar in center, between verses, is simple but punchy.

Comparing between EQ on and off, with PBK active and just re-calibrated, the frequency response is only slightly raw sounding, the voicing of the Expression is very natural, a little peaky in the midrange, neutral but lively due to the slight voicing accent in the upper-mids.

“Perfect World” - Broken Bells - The uncorrected 13A do not completely disappear in soundstage, but only a slight move forward in the listening chair, about 1.5 feet, puts ones head in a position where this does occur. The kick drum is tight with a nice punch. Cymbals and hi-hat are extra clear. In a setup without correction, this speaker “disappearing act” would be accomplished with further slight re-positioning, and there is no doubt it can occur with the 13A, as I have heard it with every other uncorrected MartinLogan hybrid electrostatic model I have worked with. Our choice was to allow the polishing of Dirac Live to accomplish it.

“I Love You” - Climax Blues Band - Cymbal Clarity, WOW, beautifully recorded and wonderfully presented. The snare punch and clarity of the string section that back this track are almost like living a dream. Are they singing about a girl or these speakers?

“Don’t Panic” - Coldplay - This is a song with strongly mixed bass guitar, a good test for bass smoothness and for how well the bass blends with the rest of the mix. The Expressions handle it without the slightest weakness or thinness, and without overwhelming the upper ranges of the mix, strong and integrated. Oneness.

“We Are One” - Buckethead and Friends - Where “Don’t Panic” shines with deep bass, “We Are One” sizzles with almost too much treble. The low-distortion output from the 13A electrostatic panels makes you want to sit and take it. The ringing floor tom in the silent spaces of this mix reminds you that these speakers are made to fill a big room with full-range sound at dangerous levels with ease. What a way to lose our hearing. Don’t Do This At Home, though - protect your hearing with your life. You will want to be able to enjoy these speakers for many years.

"One Voice" - Wailin' Jennys - The 13A can be as laid back and subtle as they need to be, and this track showed us terrific separation between vocal images and a beautiful resonance of the acoustic guitar just after the song's midpoint that threatens to stop my heart almost every time I hear it on the right speakers. And the Expression 13A are the right speakers for that sound.

"Late In The Evening" - Paul Simon - The horns, that belt, the percussion, Paul’s vocals, music to love about music to love and laid out by speakers to love made by people who love music. There comes a point where the 13A start to blend with the room and music to the point where you forget to pay attention. They become forgettable. That is a good quality in a speaker, and not easy to come by.

Playing loud, VERY loud, without beginning to display little flaws of character, is a talent the 13A and their siblings in the MartinLogan ESL family. Dome tweeters, horns, most other high frequency transducers on the market within reach of the wallets of mortals - plasma tweeters are special specimens with special price tags - will have their way of letting you know when they are reaching their limits of transparent reproduction. The electrostatic panels of the Expression 13A appear to have no such limit in the practical SPL listening range, at least that I could ever detect. Uncorrected frequency response is smooth enough, even off-axis, that there are no peaks that become annoying at higher levels, although the slight upper-mid emphasis might lead to fatigue for some listeners over an extended time. With the polish of Dirac LIve correction, that voicing emphasis is tamed to where speakers disappear and only music remains.

“Knocking On Heaven’s Door” - Warren Zevon - There is a slight hollowness in the uncorrected sound, which is eradicated by the Dirac Live correction. Vocals and guitars all sing with a resonance that says they are true to life, yet remain integral to a punchy and heartfelt performance and mix.

Cinema
We watched the following movies beginning to end:
  • Mechanic Resurrection
  • The Fifth Element
  • Jason Bourne
  • 13 Hours
  • Secario
Action Sequences from the following were also viewed:
  • Cloverfield
  • Pacific Rim
The MartinLogan Expression 13A gave us a clear audio view of what we were seeing on the screen that left nothing wanting. Image placement in the soundstage was sharp with precise detail like the laser sights in 13 Hours, full of dynamic impact like the action in Jason Bourne and Mechanic Resurrection, and able to convey subtlety like Statham and Damon in their more tender moments, with a soundstage as big as the open space of Fifth Element, conveying all the nuances of tension and drama like in the tunnel scene of Secario. Dialogue was always crystal clear.

With bass to the 13A cut off at 60 Hz, the woofers were not working at full throttle like they might be asked to in some systems. At higher volumes, this will ease the burden placed on the dual 10-inch powered woofers, helping them deliver their frequency range - up to 300 Hz - with lowest possible distortion. This point will matter for home cinema, especially action-oriented films with more going on in the LFE channel, and in music tracks where distortion is likely to be more noticeable.

Only one minor annoyance became evident during our cinema sessions. The rear grille on the Expression 13A is perforated steel, and lies against a felt pad to keep it from rattling. But our 13A were adjacent to the fronts of the SVS subs and at a certain frequency, that rear grille did rattle. We ended up removing both rear grilles to stop tet rattling. The ML engineers will certainly solve this with a tighter fastening system and/or improved padding.

I especially enjoy the audio on movies where audio effects and music and action sounds are difficult to tell apart, as with Eric Serra’s soundtrack for The Fifth Element. Another good example of that kind of soundtrack is Blade Runner by Vangelis, a great soundtrack but from a point in time well before soundtracks tended to get bass-heavy and speaker-stressful. Subtle details simply pop out of the soundstage with the 13A. Anything less than the SS&I quality we insisted upon would have much of that detail buried in the extraneous sonic fog.

Conclusions
The MartinLogan Expression 13A are the kind of speakers you can easily forget. That is a high compliment for a speaker review. Once in place and supported by proper room treatment, and perhaps a little room correction for ultimate smoothness and ideal SS&I - don't forget about the optional ARC correction built in - I predict most listeners will quickly become comfortable with the inability to find the 13A in the room - they can disappear that completely - and become completely sonically unobtrusive in their systems. The Expression 13A are another example of Electrostatic Magic from the Electrostatic Wizards at MartinLogan. I highly recommend them.

Associated Review Equipment
  • Panasonic PT-AE8000 Projector
  • Denon AVRX4300H AVR (amplification for surround and height speakers)
  • miniDSP DDRC-88BM 8-Channel Dirac Live Processor with Bass Management
  • Parasound A31 3-Channel Power Amp (LCR Speakers)
  • MartinLogan Expression ESL 13A x2 (L&R Main Speakers)
  • MartinLogan Stage X (center)
  • MartinLogan Electromotion ESL x2 (rear surround)
  • MartinLogan Motion AFX ATMOS height x4
  • SVS PB16-Ultra 1500 W 16-inch Ported Subwoofer x2

Specifications
  • Frequency Response: 24–23,000 Hz ±3dB
  • Horizontal Dispersion: 30°
  • Vertical Dispersion: 44" (112cm) line source
  • Panel Dimensions: 44" × 13" (112 × 33cm), 572 sq in, 3,696 sq cm
  • LF Transducer: Two 10” (25.4 cm) cast basket, high excursion, rigid aluminium cone and extended throw drive assembly, non-resonance asymmetrical chamber format.
  • Room Correction (LF): Anthem Room Correction (ARC) ready, sold separately
  • Amplifiers (LF): 2 x 300 W/channel continuous (4 ohms), 2 x 600 watts/channel peak
  • Recommended Power: 20 to 600 W per channel
  • Sensitivity: 91 dB/2.83 v/m
  • Impedance: 4 Ohms, 0.7 at 20kHz. Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 Ohm-rated amplifiers.
  • Crossover: 300 Hz
  • Controls:
    • Bass: ±10 dB under 75 Hz
    • Mid-Bass: –2 dB, 0 db, +2 db
    • Light: On, Dim, Off
    • ARC™ Room EQ: On, Off
  • Power Draw:
    • Idle:< 1W/channel
    • Max: 500W/channel
  • Weight: 103 lbs. (46.8 kg)
  • Dimensions:
    • 61.5" × 13.4" × 27.5"
    • (156.1cm × 33.9cm × 69.9cm)

Measurements
Frequency response at 0.5m on axis, with 3ms IR window to reduce the influence of reflections, at 30in ref height on the electrostatic panel above the floor (blue trace), the panel height at which sound radiates perpendicular from the panel to ear height at the LP, 0.25m higher (green), 0.25 m higher again (red), and 0.25m lower than ref height (plum), 48th oct smoothing. These plots show the consistency of frequency response up and down the panel, especially through the upper midrange from 2 kHz to 10 kHz.
full?d=1494816670.jpg

Frequency response at 1m on axis with 4ms IR window to reduce the influence of reflections (tan), and off-axis at 11 degrees (violet), 22.5 degrees (plum), 34 degrees (blue), 48th oct smoothing.
full?d=1494863669.jpg

Frequency response at 1m on axis with 4ms IR window to reduce the influence of reflections (tan), and off-axis at the 14 degree LP listening angle, 48th oct smoothing.
full?lightbox=1&update=1494863669.jpg

Woofer frequency response, front woofer 0.5m on axis (green), front woofer 1m with mic on-axis but on the floor (blue), front woofer 0.1m on-axis (plum), back woofer 0.1m on-axis (dark green).
full?d=1494711454.jpg

Frequency response at the Listening Position from the left (green) and right (plum) speaker, 6th oct smoothing.
full?d=1494711454.jpg

Frequency response with ARC active on the Expression 13A, at the Listening Position from the left (dark green) and right (blue) speaker, 6th oct smoothing. Notice how effectively the range below 300 Hz is controlled.
full?d=1494711454.jpg

Frequency response with ARC active on the Expression 13A plus Dirac Live calibration, at the Listening Position from from the left (tan) and right (green) speaker, 6th oct smoothing.
full?d=1494711454.jpg

Frequency response with built-in parametric EQ in subwoofers, Audyssey XT-32 for subwoofers, and additional parametric EQ in the DDRC-88BM to blend the subwoofer / Expression 13A at crossover.
full?d=1494711454.jpg

Impulse response diagram shows the front wave and rear wave impulses and how their timing is carefully matched at the LP.
full?d=1494949424.png

Matching of the impulse timing for the front wave shows a perfect overlay, indicating a perfect match of the delay times at the LP.
full?d=1494949424.png

Matching of the impulse timing for the rear wave shows a near-perfect overlay, indicating a very good match of the delay times at the LP. This will greatly enhance the SS&I performance.
full?d=1494949424.png

Photos
Several views of Cedar Creek Cinema front of house, including the MartinLogan Expression 13A and MartinLogan Stage X center.
full?d=1494708722.jpg

full?d=1494708722.jpg

full?d=1494708722.jpg

full?d=1494708722.jpg

full?d=1494708722.jpg

Cedar Creek Cinema seating rear wall treatment / wall mounted media storage, MartinLogan Electromotion ESL surround speakers. sonically absorptive covers on front three seat backs, and little green guard/mascot (NOT Sonnie Parker.).
full?d=1494708722.jpg

SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofer
full?d=1494708722.jpg

MartinLogan Expression 13A.
full?d=1494708722.jpg

Reflective Panel.behind the Expression 13A for controlling the rear wave reflection direction, timing, and strength at the LP.
full?d=1494708722.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
UPDATE: Since this review there has been a slight change in the way I am allowing Audyssey and Dirac Live to interact with the subwoofer and speakers. The crossover in the Denon 4300 is now set to 40Hz. The subwoofers are handling all below 40Hz and the MartinLogan Expression's all above 40Hz. I now run Audyssey first, then switch Audyssey to Bypass L/R and run Dirac Live in Stereo sweeping the L/R with the sub, thereby correcting any anomalies at the crossover frequency. What I get is a smoother blend without the necessity of parametric equalization in the crossover range.

I have come to really appreciate Dirac Live over Audyssey, and patiently await an all-in-one solution with Dirac Live that will be capable of handling all channels (including Atmos).

Last edited:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I've heard these speakers demoed... and I'm sure they weren't set up with near the care that these (in review) were. Great review, Wayne! There's a reason why ML is legendary in audio!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Awesome review Wayne... and naturally I love these speakers... can't for the life of me figure out why this particular pair is so special to me. :whistling:

For the record... these speakers do NOT require a separate sub, but as Wayne eluded to, I prefer my setup with the separate dual subs. It is why his visit was significant in getting the speakers suited to the room (for me), more so than it was about "just the speakers". I prefer that slight amount of added bass from the dual subs, especially on movies, although the 4 subs in the Expressions are more than capable of producing superb bass, particularly on music. If you did not have a sub (or subs), I am sure you would still be happy with the response on movies and music. I would of course get the PBK, since getting the bass response correct is critical for good sound. As you can probably tell from the equipment involved, I am a firm believer in getting the speakers frequency matched for the best sound stage and imaging... processing doesn't bother me one bit... not when it makes the sound this much better.

I also have no issues bragging a bit about the sound... and this is all because of Wayne and his excellent ears, the careful placement of the reflective panels, and lots of measurements he ran to make sure they sounded right. He has a knack for it, no doubt. Keep in mind he caught a flight from Nebraska to Alabama and spent a week here... the entire time measuring and listening... fine tuning. The result of the sound is phenomenal. We just got back from Axpona and heard a LOT of rooms up there in Chicago, including some pretty good ones, but there were none that I could say were any better than ours here, and the majority were a far cry from ours. I realize they are faced with a challenge in the motel rooms, that is understood. However, there were several rooms there that cost multiple times what this room cost.

Thank you Wayne! I sincerely appreciate your time, your passion, your ears... and more importantly... your friendship. :T

Tonto

More  
Yamaha RXV-795a
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's
Surround Back Speakers
A1rx-c's
Subwoofers
SVS PB13U
APC S15
Video Display Device
Samsung Smart TV
Streaming Subscriptions
Yamaha S796 DVD Player
Excellent review Wayne, your prose is rapidly catching up with your ears! Hopefully one day I can talk you into spending some time listening to my room & tweaking my system.

1_sufferin_mind

Supporter
More  
Emotiva XMC-2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
McCormack DNA-1 Custom Monoblocks (On Standby)
Other Amp
Woo Audio WA6se w/ Audeze LCD-2
Oppo BDP-95
Front Speakers
Revel Ultima Salon
Center Channel Speaker
Revel Voice
Surround Speakers
PSB Image B5
Subwoofers
Seaton Sound Submersive F2+/- pair
Cary SLP98P / VPI SuperScout with JMW9 & Hana MH
Video Display Device
LG 65" OLED 65CX
Screen
TBD
Streaming Subscriptions
JVC X70R Proj ; PS Audio PWD w/ Streaming Bridge
Engaging piece, Wayne! And it seems you left no stone unturned once again. If you ever decided to go into business, I'm certain you'd be booked solid for system/room calibrations. I feel another AV NIRVANA Giveaway coming on!

bkeeler10

More  
NAD T758 v3
Main Amp
Outlaw Model 7125
Oppo BDP-103/Panasonic UB820
Front Speakers
Revel Concerta2 F36
Center Channel Speaker
Revel Concerta2 F36
Surround Speakers
Revel Concerta2 M16
Surround Back Speakers
Revel Concerta2 M16
Front Height Speakers
Tannoy AMS 6DC
Rear Height Speakers
Tannoy AMS 6DC
Subwoofers
Rythmik F18 (2)
miniDSP 2x4
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-RS440
Screen
Seymour AV retractable 110" 2.35 AR (UF material)
Excellent review Wayne. As always, exquisite attention to detail and not letting "good enough" be good enough. Every time I read one of your reviews of the ML 'stats, I wanna go out and buy a pair. Sadly even the least expensive ones (ESL) are a little outside my budget.

I was happy to see a Wailin' Jennys song on the track list. I love "One Voice." I assume you have the studio version. If you're inclined, try it on their "Live at the Mauch Chunk Opera House" disc. I prefer that rendition slightly, although the audio quality is not quite as good IMO.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Thanks, all, they certainly were fun to review.

Brian, great to hear from you. The WJ track was from the studio recording, I have not heard the live version. I did see them live a few years ago, and their performances are as riveting as their recordings. I get chills from that track. "Calling All Angels" live is a great track too.

1SM, Sonnie is an amazing sport about implementing my suggestions, but is not afraid to push back when he disagrees. He has a way of keeping me honest and on my best sonic behavior.

Tonto, I always enjoy experiencing different systems. Not sure you want to jump right into implementing all my suggestions, though, they can get a little weird.

Sonnie, it is always a joy to join you at CCC. Thanks for a great week. Once this upcoming move is over and it is a 6 hour drive, you might see me more often!

Todd, I am convinced that those who don't care for ML speakers have not heard them set up right. Given half a chance, they sell themselves!

Last edited:

bkeeler10

More  
NAD T758 v3
Main Amp
Outlaw Model 7125
Oppo BDP-103/Panasonic UB820
Front Speakers
Revel Concerta2 F36
Center Channel Speaker
Revel Concerta2 F36
Surround Speakers
Revel Concerta2 M16
Surround Back Speakers
Revel Concerta2 M16
Front Height Speakers
Tannoy AMS 6DC
Rear Height Speakers
Tannoy AMS 6DC
Subwoofers
Rythmik F18 (2)
miniDSP 2x4
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-RS440
Screen
Seymour AV retractable 110" 2.35 AR (UF material)
Wayne, get the Live at Mauch Chunk and thank me later. Nearly every track on that album you won't find recorded on any other album. If you like Calling All Angels, Mauch Chunk might become your favorite WJ recording.

AJ Soundfield

More  
Yamaha RXA800, Denon AVR-X4500, Lexicon MC10
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Abacus Ampino, Triode Corp TRV-35SE
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2
DAC
NAD M51
Yamaha BDA1010
Front Speakers
Soundfields
Center Channel Speaker
Soundfields, KEF Q150
Surround Speakers
Soundfields
Surround Back Speakers
Revel M16
Subwoofers
Soundfield Cardioid Rythmik Servo
AVA ABX
One of the gents in the Tampa audio club has these, I get to hear them firsthand, very nice!
Way to go Sonnie, no more boxes :devil:

I should take some measurements with REW next time I'm over for a room vs room comparison..

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
Subwoofers
Wayne, get the Live at Mauch Chunk and thank me later. Nearly every track on that album you won't find recorded on any other album. If you like Calling All Angels, Mauch Chunk might become your favorite WJ recording.

Just placed it on order. Thanks for the tip.

Jack

More  
Integra 9.8 pre/pro, Denon 4520ci
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA5
Additional Amp
Darid I30
Other Amp
Hafler 220
Oppo
Front Speakers
Klipsch KLF10
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch C7
Surround Speakers
Various
Subwoofers
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Lita Audio Tube Dac, MyDac, Home made Music server
Video Display Device
Panasonic Viera Plasma, 65"
Remote Control
Lots
Beautiful, just beautiful.

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
You mean it gets better than the ML EM-ESL I heard when last visiting the Cedar Creek Cinema? Wow, can't wait to hear the latest changes, Sonnie.

Great job on the hard work put into the set up and write up of the Expression 13A, Wayne.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
Subwoofers
Sonnie is continually refining his system. I can't get halfway to the airport before I get an email or text that he has a new idea and is making more changes!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
And now it's about to change YET AGAIN... lol

Bacovish

More  
Yamaha RX-A1050
Front Speakers
Dali Zensor 7
Center Channel Speaker
Dali Vokal
Surround Speakers
Klipsch RP-240s
Subwoofers
Paradigm pdr-12
Klipsch RP-280F
Video Display Device
Sony XBR 75 940d
Are you changing your speakers or changing the ESl set up?

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Going from the HALO A31 to a pair of XPA-1 A/AB monoblocks and a XPA Seven... then going strictly DDRC88A-BM with Dirac and no Audyssey. I am going to let Dirac handle everything and just not worry about equalizing the Atmos speakers overhead until I can get the XMC-1 with Atmos and DHCP 2.2. Expressions are not going anywhere.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
Subwoofers
What did I tell you?

Good moves, by the way.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
You nailed it... that is for sure.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Very nicely detailed review... As a Martin Logan ESL owner I can appreciate the placement and room issues... It has taken me the better part of 4 months to get things just right in my space... My only suggestion would be to get some tubes into the mix... 8^)

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
A agree with everybody, excellent review. I like all the detail that went into it. Great job! :)

henryeng

More  
Main Amp
McIntosh MA8900
McIntosh MCD550
Front Speakers
Goldenear Triton One.R
Hello Wayne, Sonnie, etc.... I'm the guy in CA who's been researching ESLs for almost a year now. It's virtually impossible to audition them properly setup. You'd think that in the So Cal area, some dealer would actually have them correctly positioned etc....but it's been a challenge. I recently heard some (used) ESL15As with decent positioning....and I finally heard the "electrostatic imaging magic" I've been expecting. So I'm close to pulling the trigger on ordering 13As (15s would be too big for my room and have excessive "spousal impedance"!). But from what I've heard, the 13s should be great for my 2 channel system. (I'll also use them for TV & movies, but that's not my priority....subs not needed.) The ELS should almost negate the effects of the hard surfaces in my listening room which degrade the imaging of my current speakers (Triton One.Rs - excellent!) SO....thanks for all the reviews, info, etc...and I'll keep ya posted!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Hey... 15A's are not that much bigger than the 13A's... you are only talking 2" width on the panels and only 1.5" on the cabinet. The main differences are in the height... about 8", which is the least intrusive part of the speaker. 69.8" x 15.75" x 28.9 " (177.3cm x 40cm x 63.3cm) vs. 61.5" x 13.4" x 27.5 "

I have a brand new unopened pair of 15A's at a bargain.

Glad you had a chance to listen to them properly set up. They are no doubt fabulous speakers.

henryeng

More  
Main Amp
McIntosh MA8900
McIntosh MCD550
Front Speakers
Goldenear Triton One.R
Hi....and thanks for that reassurance! The 15s I heard were 'marginally correctly' set up, but at least I was able to hear the ML imaging magic. I heard some 13s recently, but the demo room was in a 2nd story with a weak floor. The bass made the floor vibrate a lot, resulting in weak bass acoustic output...but I'm not gonna worry about that. I'm sure they'll be fine in my room, which is tile on a concrete slab. Nothing will vibrate there. I WISH I could get the 15s from you...but they'd be too visually intrusive in my room with its 8' ceiling. Even the guy from ML said 15s would overpower my room... 13s will be a better fit overall. The wall behind the speakers is wood paneling....very reflective. So I'll add a 2' x 4' acoustic panel (2" thick) directly behind each stat panel to soak up the back-radiation. Ever used panels from Acoustical Solutions? (GIK has some iffy reviews - poor construction/shipping damage, etc.) I'm hoping one panel behind each speaker will be enough. If I can achieve 90% of perfection...that's OK. As you know....the first 90% of perfection takes 90% of the money. Achieving the remaining 10% of perfection takes another 90% of the money!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
I understand... and I think my 15As are sold anyway.

I am not familiar with Acoustical Solutions, but I'm really not familiar with any of the acoustic companies. I've owned quite a bit of GIK over the years and still have and use a few. I've removed the majority from the room. I admit that they are not the best-built panels, in my opinion. They sag over time and lose their shape. I've never had any shipping damage. I built my last panels out of 1x8 and Roxul R30 insulation and covered them with GOF material. This way, I could make them large and thick enough to be effective. You can see the diffusion panels I built and then, later in the same thread, the absorption panels that I built and am using now that cover the diffusion panels, which we all preferred during the listening tests we did later. Here is that thread: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/custom-diy-diffuser-panels.8367/ (post #31 in that thread shows ETC measurements between the two).

Top Bottom