Marantz SR7012 9.2-Channel Network AV Receiver Review

Manufacturer & Model
Marantz SR7012 9.2-Channel Network AV Receiver
MSRP
$2,199
Link
https://goo.gl/Q5eaNg
Highlights
11.2 channels of processing, onboard decoding of Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro-3D, user-friendly installation guide and Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room correction, multiple functionality add-ons including Audyssey's MultEQ Editor and Marantz's HEOS apps, powerful 4K friendly audio and video performance.
Summary
Marantz's new SR7012 Network AV Receiver delivers high-level performance at a reasonable price point. It carries a wide range of modern features, including 11.2 channels of processing and decoding of all three immersive audio formats, for perfect integration into any modern 4K home theater system. User friendliness is boosted by Marantz's excellent Setup Assistant and Audyssey's onboard MultEQ XT32 room correction suite, along with several apps that streamline sound output and overall ease of use. Performance was nothing short of excellent, making the SR-7012 one of the industry's top AV receivers.
full?d=1522023248.png

Buying a topline receiver isn’t for the faint of heart, especially when considering the inevitable four-figure price tag. But for those enthusiasts with demanding home theaters – or dreams of expanding to an immersive system with at least 11 channels – picking from the best of the best is the only real option. Several years ago, that meant finding one of a handful of 7.1.4 capable models and taking the plunge. Current buyers, however, are faced with a much more difficult task, searching for the perfect balance of price, native onboard processing and amplification, room correction, streaming and whole-home audio capabilities, and user-friendliness, all amongst several tiers of models manufactured by a broad range of brands. Case in point is Marantz, which now offers two pathways to a 7.1.4 receiver experience, having replaced its former flagship AVR (and only 11-channel model) with this year’s SR7012 AV Receiver while adding a new flagship design.

Due to a rather unique set of circumstances, the SR7012 has been integrated in my reference system for several months, making it one of the longest tenured review products to remain a constant in my theater room. And while the receiver doesn’t technically carry Marantz’s flagship torch, it’s every bit worthy of boasting top-tier high performance status.

Soundly United
Marantz, now a member of the Sound United family, entered 2018 by officially upping its immersive game. This year, the company has five receivers and processors capable of directing at least 11 channels of audio, spanning price points ranging from $2,199 (AV7703 and SR7012) to $4,499 (AV8805). Its current receiver class is headlined by the company’s first true 11.2-channel model (SR8012, $2,999), which houses 11 amplifier stages for complete standalone performance. The SR7012 also offers 11 channels of processing, but can only natively power nine, necessitating the use of an outboard amp for 7.1.4 speaker arrangements. The price difference between the two equates to $800 large, which is a huge savings for buyers that currently own a dedicated amplifier or plan on beefing up their system’s main channels with supplementary external amps.

Additionally, Marantz has removed its previously required $199 Auro activation fee on all 2018 Auro capable receivers and processors. That means the company’s new gear arrives with Auro performance ready to rock out of the box. Note: this review partially addresses the SR7012’s Auro capabilities, with a larger separate analysis of Auro-3D due to be published in the next few weeks.

Onboard Tech
full?d=1522025294.png

The SR7012’s feature set is rich, satisfying most every major home theater performance parameter required by larger 4K multichannel and immersive sound systems. At its heart lies reference-class 32-bit AKM DACs paired with an amp section that employs Marantz’s exclusive HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) and Current Feedback topology for dynamic top-end sonic performance. Overall power output is rated at 125 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 0.05%, 2ch driven), with nine internal amplifier stages capable of natively running 7.1.2 and 5.1.4 immersive speaker arrays, along with a variety of other common configurations across three different zones. Of course, that doesn’t take into account the near limitless streaming functionality of the SR7012’s onboard HEOS technology, which allows for HEOS enabled speakers and receivers to be linked and controlled as part of a whole-home audio system.

The SR7012’s sound quality is enhanced by Audyssey’s premier MultEQ XT32 room correction suite, a package that offers impressive subwoofer equalization in addition to other DSP features such as Dynamic Volume (eliminates sudden jumps in volume), Dynamic EQ (balanced clarity at any volume level), and Low Frequency Containment (helps to control ultra-deep bass output). Audyssey’s functionality and impact is highly tweakable thanks to the MultEQ Editor app ($19.99, Google Play and iTunes), which is designed to streamline the correction process while allowing room measurement results to be viewed. It also allows owners to set target curves and directly dictate which frequency range is corrected, making it possible for an owner to only apply correction below a room’s transition frequency (roughly 250 Hz).

As mentioned, the SR7012 is rather unique because of its Auro-3D decoding capabilities. It also can decode both DTS:X and Dolby Atmos immersive sound codecs. Of course, the receiver is compatible with every popular legacy codec found under the sun, including DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD, while offering access to Dolby, Auro, and DTS upmixers for expanded multichannel and immersive audio presentations. On the Hi-Res audio front, the SR7012 can decode up to 24-bit/192 kHz ALAC, FLAC, and WAV files, as well as DSD 2.8 MHz and 5.6 MHz, in addition to well-known compressed file types (MP3, WMA, and AAC).

Inputs and Outputs
full?d=1522025168.jpg

Connectivity wise, Marantz has packed the SR7012 with options you’d expect from a leading 4K receiver. It houses eight HDMI inputs (seven back, one front) and three HDMI outputs (two main, one zone), all of which support HDCP 2.2, 4K 60Hz video, 3D, 4:4:4 color sub-sampling, High Dynamic Range (including HDR10, Hybrid Log Gamma, and Dolby Vision), Audio Return Channel and Enhanced Audio Return Channel, and BT.2020 passthrough. This means the SR7012 can easily serve as an AV hub for a 4K system, perfectly integrating with all currently available UHD displays and sources without handicapping the user experience.

The backside of the SR7012 presents six sets of RCA inputs (including phono), 7.1 multi-channel inputs, 11.2 multi-channel pre-outs, 11 speaker terminals, AM/FM antenna connections, dual component video inputs, and four digital inputs (two optical, two coaxial). While the front side houses a stereo headphone jack, a single USB audio port, and convenient RCA stereo inputs (a major plus for fans of Room EQ Wizard).

Wirelessly speaking, the SR7012 carries built-in Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz/5 GHz) for networked music access (including PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz and DSD up to 5.6 MHz), the aforementioned HEOS multi-room audio technology, Bluetooth, AirPlay, and onboard access to the likes of TIDAL, Spotify Connect, Dezeer, SiriusXM, and Pandora. Owners can even link the SR7012 with their Amazon Alexa account for convenient voice command functionality.

Out of the Box
full?d=1522025168.jpg

No surprises in the SR7012’s packaging department, as Marantz provides an unboxing experience on par with its status in the industry. High quality materials – including a thick double walled box and form fitting Styrofoam – delivered the receiver in pristine condition. Notable items shipped include: a quick start guide, color coded cable labels, a backlit remote control, a microphone, AM/FM antennae, and a cardboard Audyssey microphone stand.

While a full manual isn’t included, owners can gain quick (searchable) access to the manual by visiting Marantz online.

You can watch the entire unboxing process by clicking on the video below.

Initial out-of-box impressions were quite good; the SR7012 feels solid in the hands (31 lbs) and sports Marantz’s classic stylized look. The front side’s visual symmetry is anchored by two large knobs and a circular edge-lit LED display window, all of which are horizontally aligned across a brushed aluminum faceplate centered between subtly curved matte finished sides. The bottom half of the faceplate flips down to reveal a larger information rich LED display and a host of input connections and controls. As previously discussed, the backside is loaded with connection options – including quality speaker posts that accept bare wire, banana plugs, and spade connectors – that are logically labeled for easy set up. In fact, Marantz has included color coding above its speaker posts to match colors found on the provided cable labels. Nice touch.

Being a professed stickler of tangible aspects associated with high-end products, I was only able to find one shortcoming: the large volume and input selector knobs. Visually, the knobs have presence. But their tactile feedback is a tad on the light side, falling short of the smooth and heavy feel I was hoping to find.

Set Up
full?d=1522025168.jpg

Intuitiveness and ease of integration are huge factors when setting up a receiver, both of which are easily challenged by shelving the manual and blindly wading into new waters. Luckily, Marantz’s well designed onscreen Setup Assistant proved to be pure gold, scoring high marks for its simple user-friendly instructions and interface. The Assistant quickly guided me through establishing a speaker layout and Wi-Fi connection (along with other important tasks) before dumping me into Audyssey’s MultEQ XT32 calibration process.

The included cardboard Audyssey microphone tower was easy to construct and implement, providing height adjustability and good stability. For my particular speaker arrangement (7.4.4), I asked Audyssey to calibrate a system consisting of seven multichannels, four ceiling mounted height channels, and four subwoofers (deployed at quarter wall positions in the front and the rear of the room). My first stab at Audyssey was performed using the physical remote and the receiver’s on-screen commands. Results we’re excellent, with final channel levels set within 1 to 0.5 decibels of 75dB and – following manual boosts to the sub channels – smoothly controlled bass. Next, I reset the receiver, re-executed the Setup Assistant, and attacked Audyssey using the MultEQ Editor app. The app experience presented a mixed bag of good and bad that certainly tested my patience, largely due to several fatal communication errors that required the entire calibration process to be reinitiated. I was eventually rewarded with another great sounding setup and found that many of the app’s fine control features (e.g. quick access to speaker sizes and crossover controls, browsing basic Audyssey settings, and viewing before and after correction results) were welcomed. The app could use some polish, however, and left a bittersweet taste sizzling on my AV taste buds.

As you can see in the Room EQ Wizard graph below, Audyssey effectively smoothed bass output below 80 Hz and – most importantly – more than met the challenge of equalizing my four sub arrangement.

full?d=1522027119.png

Pre-Audyssey = Blue, Post-Audyssey = Red

The SR7012’s menu system is lean, which makes day-to-day operation simple enough for novice users. One of the more convenient operational settings allows an owner to preconfigure speaker settings for a 2-channel stereo mode. I used this feature to set up a multichannel configuration with all speakers set to small (subwoofer crossover 80 Hz) and – at the push of a button – a subwooferless stereo setting that instantly set my left and right channels to large.

Before we dive into performance, let’s talk remotes. Users can download the free Marantz 2016 AVR Remote and HEOS apps (iOS/Android), while also having access to the included physical remote. The remote (one of my preferred weapons of choice) deserves praise, as its easy-to-activate backlighting is perfect for a dark theater room environment. And Marantz’s chosen button assignments help to keep the user experience streamlined, with hot button access to audio modes, sources, and other frequently used features.

Associated Equipment
Equipment used during this review included an iPhone X, a JVC RS520 4K projector, OPPO’s UDP-205 4K Blu-ray Player, an Emotiva XPA-5 amp (for additional height channel support), dual SVS SB16 subs, dual Power Sound Audio XS30 subs, four SVS Prime Elevation speakers, two SVS Ultra Surrounds, two SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers, two SVS Ultra Towers, and a single SVS Ultra Center channel.

Performance
full?d=1522024924.png

Screenshots of Marantz's HEOS app

Marantz’s SR7012 is a true system anchor that allowed my reference home theater to shine, managing its 7.4.4 speaker array to absolute perfection. The short end of demo sessions was excellent audio laced with clarity and detail, and crystal-clear HDMI video performance that worked flawlessly with a 4K capable projector.

It’s worth highlighting Marantz’s HEOS technology, a platform that allows for wireless streaming between devices, HEOS enabled receivers, and HEOS speakers. While I didn’t test streaming between the SR7012 and a HEOS speaker, I did download HEOS app for access to streaming music accounts directly available on the receiver.

Unlike my rocky Audyssey app experience, the HEOS app delivered five-star performance from install to playback, providing convenient control of the SR7012’s power, zones, source selection, volume, and audio modes. It also opened access to numerous streaming services (Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Music, TIDAL, and Sirius XM, just to name a few), USB media, networked music servers, and music stored on my mobile device.

The app made switching between sources simple and quick, and its interface provided logical integrated control over linked content found on streaming services; searching for music and accessing favorites was notably easy on TIDAL. Also, both volume and audio mode controls are embedded into every source interface within the app, allowing for quick switching between various modes and volume adjustments. The ease of these controls led to endless hours of sound mode comparisons, with quick switching between straight stereo and upmixed multichannel music playback.

full?d=1522024240.png

(Bleachers/MTV/RCA Records)

The SR7012’s stereo capabilities are phenomenal, with solid 2-channel performance across streamed, USB Hi-Res, and disc-based sources. I dove in head first with the Aphex Twin’s Syro “minipops 67 [120.2][source field mix]” (TIDAL) and was showered with razor sharp dynamics and a sound stage that seemed to explode in all directions. All the little details of the song popped to delightful levels. I had a similar experience with John Bellion’s The Human Condition (CD). “Overwhelming” proved to be a veritable feast for the ears, largely because its sonic soundstage was mesmerizingly organized, squeaky clean, and punctuated by taught bass right to reference levels. And then there was a waltz through Bruno Mars’s catalog (TIDAL), which had sounds during the hit “Locked Out of Heaven” crawling down my walls.

Two particular albums stood out as musical highlights during my stereo demo romp. The first being the Bleachers MTV Unplugged (TIDAL) release, which exploded into my theater room with pinpoint sharpness, utter liveliness, and amazing realism. From “Let’s Get Married” to the final “I Wanna Get Better,” the band’s acoustic presence and the venue’s adoring crowd were transported into my room with a just-like-being-there presence. The SR7012 pushed clarity right to my ears’ volume tolerances. The second standout listen was Skrillex’s Recess release (CD), which was loaded with striking imaging, a mesmerizing soundstage, and a perfect balance of bass, midrange, and high frequencies. This has been a long-running favorite demo disc in my rotation, and this particular listening session was simply fantastic.

While I spent quite a bit of time exploring the SR7012’s playback capabilities using straight stereo settings, I also dabbled with multichannel upmixing via Dolby Surround, DTS Neural:X, and Auro 2D Surround. Of the three, Neural:X proved to be my least favorite, with sound frequently lacking composure in the front soundstage arena and overly distracting side surround activity. Dolby Surround was more pleasantly subdued, but the true star of the show was Auro’s 2D Surround technology. Auro’s ability to keep front soundstage imaging composed and intact made for a true stereo-like experience, while introducing a wrap-around effect that was less distracting and more ethereal. For buyers that enjoy the benefits of music upmixing, the SR7012’s Auro 2D capabilities are a real bonus and a solid selling point (something that the direct competition – outside of Denon – simply can’t claim).

full?d=1522024240.png

(Warner Bros.)

My investigation of upmixing capabilities bled into movie evaluations, with the included Dolby immersive upmixer igniting 5.1 and 7.1 channel films into fantastical domes of sound. In fact, Dolby’s faux-immersive technology helped to deliver realistic height channel activity to the likes of Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Blu-ray) and Wind River (Blu-ray). To my ears, it was extremely difficult to hear notable quality differences between upmixed films and those encoded with true Atmos tracks.

The SR7012’s ability to manage a multi-channel film attack – even at reference levels – is on par with the best I’ve heard, helping to lead my theater room into ear-bending states of immersion. Pinpoint bass activity, such as the deep thuds of terror found throughout IT (4K UHD) and the massive foundation cracking explosions of Deepwater Horizon (4K UHD), were controlled to beautifully precise levels. Marantz deserves recognition for its choice of LFE control and – much like the inclusion of Auro 2D upmixing – buyers should consider it to be another high-level selling point.

The receiver’s Atmos and DTS:X capabilities also performed as expected. My ears were abuzz with the terrifying immersion of Sully’s (4K UHD) airplane crash scene and the utter chaos of explosions found throughout The Expendables (4K UHD). And, equally important, the SR7012 didn’t introduce any abnormal delays due to HDMI handshake issues when 4K UHD Blu-ray films were viewed. In addition, video passthrough of both 4K UHD and standard Blu-ray media remained crystal clear and error free.

Conclusion
full?d=1522024240.png

(Marantz)

While the Marantz SR7012 isn’t technically slotted as the company’s top receiver, it possesses the intelligence and performance one would expect from a true flagship design. Owners are provided access to an array of 4K friendly HDMI connections, the convenience of various wireless and HEOS streaming options, Audyssey’s excellent subwoofer EQ, 11 channels of processing, and the added benefit of onboard support for Auro’s sonic technologies. The receiver’s audio and video performance capabilities are top-flight, and Marantz’s take on user-friendliness makes the SR7012 a dream to integrate and use. Taking those factors into account, it’s entirely impossible not to give the SR7012 a resounding stamp of approval. Highly recommended.

full?d=1497080930.png

Marantz SR-7012 Specifications
Amplifier and Processing

• Number of Poweramps: 9
  • Power Output: (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 110 W
  • Power Output: (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive) 125 W
  • Power Output: (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) 165 W
  • Power Output: (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive) 235 W
  • Max Number of Processing (Preamp) Channels: 11.2
  • System Remote Control: RC036SR
  • AM/FM Tuner: Yes
  • DTS HD Master / DTS:X: Yes
  • DTS Neo:X / DTS Neural:X: Yes (11 channel)
  • DTS Virtual:X: Yes
  • Dolby TrueHD / Dolby Atmos: Yes
  • Dolby ProLogic llz: No
  • Dolby Surround: Yes
  • Auro 3D: Yes
  • Audyssey DSX: yes
  • Multichannel Stereo: Yes
  • Discrete Power Amplifier: Yes
  • Power Transformer: Toroidal / EI EI
  • Current Feedback Topology: Yes
  • Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAM): Yes
  • Pure Direct: yes
  • Clock Jitter Reducer: Yes
Connectivity
  • Gold plated RCA terminals: Yes
  • Composite Inputs / Outputs: 3+1 / 2
  • Component Inputs / Outputs: 3 / 1
  • HDMI Inputs / Outputs: 7+1 / 3
  • Analog Inputs / Outputs: 5+1
  • Phono (MM) Input: Yes
  • Digital Optica Inputs: 2
  • Digital Coaxial Inputs: 2
  • Multi-Room Analog Outputs: 2
  • Multichannel Pre Outputs: 11.2
  • Subwoofer Outputs: 2 (independant)
  • 7.1 Multichannel Inputs: Yes
  • Speaker Terminal: Gold Plated Screw
  • Number of Speaker Terminals: 11
  • Speaker A / B assignable
  • Bi-Amp Drive assignable
  • Multi-Room Speaker Terminal assignable
  • Front Inputs: Audio / Composite / HDMI / USB
  • Front USB Audio: Yes
  • Ethernet Ports: Yes
Wireless
  • HEOS Multi-room and Streaming: Yes
  • Network Audio Sharing: Yes
  • Wi-Fi: Yes
  • Bluetooth: Yes
  • Dimensions with Antenna Up: 17.3 x 16.2 x 7.3
  • AirPlay Audio Streaming: Yes
  • Internet radio (TuneIn): Yes
  • Spotify / Pandora / SiriusXM / TIDAL: Yes
  • Compatible with Remote APP for Smart Phones Marantz 2016 AVR Remote
  • Compatible with Remote APP for Tablets Android / iOS / Amazon Kindle
Audio
  • Audyssey MultEQ XT32: Yes
  • Audyssey Dynamic EQ / Dynamic Volume: Yes
  • Audyssey LFC: Yes
  • Compressed Audio Enhancer (MDAX2): Yes
  • Lossy formats (MP3 / WMA / AAC): Yes
  • Lossless formats (FLAC / ALAC / WAV): Yes
  • Lossless formats (FLAC HD 192/24 / WAV 192/24 / ALAC 192/24): Yes
  • DSD Audio Streaming up to DSD5.6
  • FLAC HD 192/24: Yes
  • WAV 192/24: Yes
  • ALAC 192/24: Yes
Video
  • HDCP2.2 Support: Yes
  • Video Conversion Analog: Yes
  • Analog to HDMI Scaling: 480i/576i up to 4K 60/50
  • HDMI to HDMI Scaling: up to 4K 60/50
  • GUI Overlay on HDMI: Yes
  • HDMI: 3D / 4K / CEC / ARC: Yes
  • Enhanced ARC: Yes
  • HLG / Dolby Vision: Yes
  • 3D Signal Pass-Through: Yes
  • 4K Signal Pass-Through / Scaling / GUI Overlay: Yes
  • HDMI Pass-Through in Standby Mode: Yes
  • Picture Adjust / Noise Reduction: Yes
  • CEC: Yes
  • DSD Audio Capability: Yes
  • Audio Return Channel: Yes
  • Auto LipSync: Yes
Dimensions
  • Gapless Playback (FLAC, WAV ,ALAC ,DSD): Yes
  • Weight: 31.1 lbs

Last edited:

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Marantz 7012 or the Yamaha 3070??? That is a very good question TOS... The specs look to be very close and I am sure both would serve you well... Both are class D... Marantz THD 0.05% vs Yamaha 0.06%, SignalToNoiseRatio 105dB vs 110dB, Audio DAC 32bit/192kHz vs 24bit/192kHz, Audyssey vs YPAO and 31.1 lbs vs 39.9 lbs... A few watts one way or the other will not make much difference unless you are driving some really inefficient speakers to deafening levels...

I would look for some photos of the internals and see what you think of the layout and build quality of each... I also notice that there is an 8.8 lbs difference between them, the Yamaha being the heavier... That difference makes me go hmm... Where does that 8.8 lbs come from??? Chassis, Heatsinks, Power supply or??? All other online user reviews and scores I could find appear to favor the Yamaha...

If you have an AV/Stereo shop in your area, go and have a listen to each AVR with some speakers you are familiar with... Everyones ears and audio nirvana preferences are different... You will have to trust yours... Good luck in your choice...

Last edited:

Deuce

Registered
You're more than fine with either AVR for those speakers.

Dude/Todd- so both \Yamaha and Marantz at this level are totally class D ? Woudl be interested to hear your thoughts on Anthem receivers that maintain a class AB architecture for five main channels then class D for surrounds. (Of course $500 more at least watt/watt) Anthems ARC reputed to be easier to set up than Audysssey 32; would you concur ?

Todd I hope you will be able to review the competing Denon model asap as well. I’m seeing by spec and visually (at least in the rear panel) a similar product at $200 (or more) less. Marantz may quote a few more watts, and touts ability to drive “difficult” (4 ohms ?_ speakers, but are their amsp reality different from Denon?

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Dude/Todd- so both \Yamaha and Marantz at this level are totally class D ? Woudl be interested to hear your thoughts on Anthem receivers that maintain a class AB architecture for five main channels then class D for surrounds. (Of course $500 more at least watt/watt) Anthems ARC reputed to be easier to set up than Audysssey 32; would you concur ?

Todd I hope you will be able to review the competing Denon model asap as well. I’m seeing by spec and visually (at least in the rear panel) a similar product at $200 (or more) less. Marantz may quote a few more watts, and touts ability to drive “difficult” (4 ohms ?_ speakers, but are their amsp reality different from Denon?

Hey Deuce, good to see a new member at AV NIRVANA! Welcome... glad to have you here!

Tough call on being able to hear a distinct difference between Class D and Class A/B amps... at least for my ears. From my experience, the biggest difference happens on the processing side of the equation. We're on the list for a Denon AVR - soon. I'd imagine performance, as you elude, will be similar!

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment

Hello Deuce, All these AVRs have heaping spoons of secret sauce that makes them all unique (house sound) and yet all so very similar... What is really in those little Marantz Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules? 8^) Having to stuff so much processing/pre/amp/channels into such a tight place, class architectures are/have begun to blur for integrated pro/pre/amp AVRs... Anthem's mixing of classes for, assuming MRX series, seems like a reasonable thing to do given what normally goes thru the surround mix, although I have never heard one of these puppies... Wondering if this is their way of attracting both the HT and Audiophile potential customer... ARC, Audyssey and YPAO all have their place for the average HT each with their own secret sauce. My preference going the way of manual setup using something like REW and/or SPL meter and tape measure...

billrobbo

I would be proud to own one with it's impressive list of features and the job it did on equalising the bass being so exceptional. Unfortunately, retailing at AU$4200.00 here in Oz it is probably a tad outside my budget.

ryanellis

More  
Marantz SR7010
Hi Todd.

First post: loved the review. You mentioned in a reply that Tidal quality is only HiFi and not Master through Heos. I currently own the SR7010 and use tidal via airplay, so I presume that's only HiFi too? I'm tempted to upgrade as airplay is glitchy and slow, whereas I presume Heos is more seamless? I'm not *just* upgrading for that feature, but interested in your opinions :)

Thanks!

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Hi Todd.

First post: loved the review. You mentioned in a reply that Tidal quality is only HiFi and not Master through Heos. I currently own the SR7010 and use tidal via airplay, so I presume that's only HiFi too? I'm tempted to upgrade as airplay is glitchy and slow, whereas I presume Heos is more seamless? I'm not *just* upgrading for that feature, but interested in your opinions :)

Thanks!

For Tidal Masters to work a device would need to be MQA certified as that is the high def system that Tidal uses. Hifi is cd quality flac lossless. Then master uses a Flac container with the MQA encoding. I’m not very computer savvy and so there may be ways of using 3rd party software to stream Master quality sound from Tidal with these products. Otherwise I only know of a small number of viable options.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Hi Ryan! Welcome to AV NIRVANA. Great to have you here!

Yes, TIDAL onboard the 7012 is only HiFi, not Master quality. TIDAL processing, itself, is handled onboard, controlled via the HEOS app.

I believe that Apple Airplay will stream from your device to your receiver at HiFi quality... the big question is, is it possible to hear a difference in quality?

Not sure. I can run a couple of comparison tests and report back.

JBrax

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz sr7010
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung K8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch rf-7 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch rs-42 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD (X2)
Panamax M5300
Video Display Device
Sony Bravia XBR65-930D
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Subscriptions
PS4
My MacBook Pro shows the MQA icon when I stream a MQA song from Tidal.

ryanellis

More  
Marantz SR7010
For Tidal Masters to work a device would need to be MQA certified as that is the high def system that Tidal uses. Hifi is cd quality flac lossless. Then master uses a Flac container with the MQA encoding. I’m not very computer savvy and so there may be ways of using 3rd party software to stream Master quality sound from Tidal with these products. Otherwise I only know of a small number of viable options.

Thanks for your input :)

Hi Ryan! Welcome to AV NIRVANA. Great to have you here!

Yes, TIDAL onboard the 7012 is only HiFi, not Master quality. TIDAL processing, itself, is handled onboard, controlled via the HEOS app.

I believe that Apple Airplay will stream from your device to your receiver at HiFi quality... the big question is, is it possible to hear a difference in quality?

Not sure. I can run a couple of comparison tests and report back.

Great to be here!

Yeah, I'm guessing I probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference... My main issue with airplaying tidal is the lag - when you press play there's a good 3-4 sec delay, and then if you try to skip through a song it's the same. Super annoying... Can you comment on this in the 7012 but through HEOS?

My MacBook Pro shows the MQA icon when I stream a MQA song from Tidal.

Good point, so does mine... However, does that actually mean that that quality is transmitted via airplay? i.e. if you plugged your headphones in to your MBP I'm sure you'd be getting MQA (but let's not get into the quality of the DAC within the MBP compared to an amp :) ), but over airplay?

JBrax

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz sr7010
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung K8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch rf-7 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch rs-42 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD (X2)
Panamax M5300
Video Display Device
Sony Bravia XBR65-930D
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Subscriptions
PS4
No, I don’t believe AirPlay streams MQA. On that note I’m of the opinion you’ll not be able to distinguish the difference.

ryanellis

More  
Marantz SR7010
No, I don’t believe AirPlay streams MQA. On that note I’m of the opinion you’ll not be able to distinguish the difference.

Cool, that's what I thought... Well, at least it's still better than 320kbps offered by Spotify :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
So.... I played around with an A-B comparison and I can’t hear a quality difference. Interestingly there’s about 7 or 8dB volume difference (even with the iPhone volume control at max. Meaning TIDAL via HEOS/7012 at -6dB on the volume control is the same loudness as AirPlay at +2dB.

Not sure why that’s the case.

Control-wise, my AirPlay lag is significantly shorter than yours... sometimes nearly non-existent. That being said controlling TIDAL on the 7012 via HEOS is nearly instantaneous and very consistent.

And that’s probably the biggest separater - the HEOS interface is a little bit more convient and adds to the user experience. But, you’re certainly not missing out on the ultimate endgame, which is high quality streaming.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment

I agree with Jeff here... I think you’d be hard pressed to hear a difference.

ryanellis

More  
Marantz SR7010
So.... I played around with an A-B comparison and I can’t hear a quality difference. Interestingly there’s about 7 or 8dB volume difference (even with the iPhone volume control at max. Meaning TIDAL via HEOS/7012 at -6dB on the volume control is the same loudness as AirPlay at +2dB.

Not sure why that’s the case.

Control-wise, my AirPlay lag is significantly shorter than yours... sometimes nearly non-existent. That being said controlling TIDAL on the 7012 via HEOS is nearly instantaneous and very consistent.

And that’s probably the biggest separater - the HEOS interface is a little bit more convient and adds to the user experience. But, you’re certainly not missing out on the ultimate endgame, which is high quality streaming.

Great - this a valuable info! Perhaps they've made the airplay a bit better in the latest gen?

Thanks for the responses... Wish I'd found this place sooner!

OK, another wondering - if I'm playing Tidal in the main zone, can my other half play Spotify in zone 2? I'm gonna guess "no", but hope for "yes"!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I just set up two Zones on the 7012 to see if the receiver can accommodate two separate streaming scenarios with two Zones (which required using both the Marantz AVR app and HEOS). Unfortunately, I couldn't make it work. The receiver can play a separate source (CD player, for example) to one Zone and stream another... but attempting to play Spotify in one Zone and TIDAL in another just causes the most recently selected streaming service to override the other. The same is true of streaming via Bluetooth to one Zone and using HEOS to access a streaming service for another. One simply overrides the other.

Perhaps I'm not executing it properly... but I'm 99% sure I am.

On another note, after the trial, I did a little auditioning of tracks using TIDAL HiFi, Spotify (through Spotify Connect) and Bluetooth streaming via iPhone.

The last track (Whethan "Good Nights") was interesting: I don't think I could hear a difference! I'm a little surprised by that... a blind test would be a disaster!

ryanellis

More  
Marantz SR7010
Thanks a million for trying, Todd. I presumed that would be the case! It's a shame, but certainly not a deal-breaker!

Haha really?? I'll have to rely on the placebo effect, then... We're all guilty of it! :greengrin:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
No problem. I'm sure the streaming differences I experienced in a limited sample size are truly representative... but I'm a little surprised at how good Spotify Connect performed!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Yup... ever stops!

The US announcements should be a little further down the road ;-)

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
If you are running from a Mac you can look at the Audio Midi Setup utility at the Audio Devices which will display Output Devices and Formats being used... You may not expect that the device you are streaming Airplay to being 16 bit 44.1kHz by default... And you may be able to set it higher to 24 bit 96kHz or higher depending on the physical connection and/or endpoint device... You can only go as fast as your slowest component/network/device in the chain...

ryanellis

More  
Marantz SR7010
Amp arrived today. Nice step up from the SR7010 in terms of features, and certainly a bit cleaner soundwise so far.

Do you recommend buying the Audyssey multiEQ Editor app? I'm going to go through the setup tomorrow when the new centre speaker arrives.

Ekfad

Registered
More  
Yamaha DSP-Z7
Panasonic DMP-BDT310
Front Speakers
Q Concepts 20
Center Channel Speaker
Q Concepts 20
Surround Speakers
Q Concepts 20
Subwoofers
SVS-SB2000
Screen
LG OLED65C8PLA
Remote Control
Harmony 950
Hi @Todd Anderson ,

I noticed you reviewed this one and the Yamaha 3070 in the same room/setup.
I'm wondering, now you experienced both. Which one do you prefer?

I already read a lot on both receivers.
Did you also noticed the Yamaha runs a lot cooler then the Marantz? And did you (after the review was published) run into hdmi (handshake) issues with both of them?

I'm asking because I'm looking into a replacement for my Yamaha Z7.
The receiver will be used for film and music (60/40).

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Marrduk24

Registered
Todd,

Out of 7012 and A3070 which receiver would you recommend for B&W 702 S2. I only use LCR along with a Funk audio sub. 50/50 movies and music.

Or put differently, which < 3k AVR?

Top Bottom