Subwoofers
REL R300
Other Speakers or Equipment
PS3
Video Display Device
Sony TV 46"
Hello All
Greetings from New Zealand.
Just wondered if you good folks on AV NIRVANA might help with my dilemma of choosing one of the above ( open to any other suggestions).
My current gear is an 15 yr old (non HDMI) Harman Kardon receiver which is fantastic but is limited to 5.1. I use an oppo 105D to drive the HK with Infinity Kappa 400 speakers all round through the analogue inputs on the harman kardon, and REL R305 sub completing the 5.1. I have had this setup for the past 15yrs and is looks and sounds great. Alas no Atmos or the newer surround sound formats. I am currently in the process of re-doing a basement area for media/entertainment/relaxation area where most of the gear and listening/watching will live and take place.
I know this has been discussed at length about the benefits of separates and receiver( not really looking at that discussion). Currently I am able to get the marantz(display model) or the NAD(new) at nearly the same price. For the time being I am planning to use the multichannel analogue to drive the 5 amps in the HK ( they are rated at- stereo mode 125watts 2 channel driven, 25 hz- 25khz, THD <0.07%, with 5 channels surround mode power per individual channel 110 watts for each of them full range, THD<0.07% according to the manual) Our main listening is 90/10 % movies/music but hoping to listen to music a bit more as we edge slowly towards retirement. I am aware that the pre/pro will involve more costs as I dig in further with new amps/UHD/4Kprojector/surround speakers etc for a more holistic home cinema experience. I have looked at in depth reviews here (excellent reviews from Todd's 7012 and AudiocRaver's on NAD) and elsewhere and aware of the advantages and limitations, Both will fit the bill,however the marantz has more features which may be a plus. We are not that fussy about Hi Res music etc, something that sounds pleasing enough to the ears will do. I am not sure if the NAD ships here( NZ) with the new MDC board or not and whether there is much support for either if I run into problems. There is not a chance I could audition both at any one time, so it is going to be a blind buy. Maybe it might ultimately come down to dirac vs audyssey, either sounds ok from my research. I can tinker around with the room correction but don't really want to spend too much time on it, just want to sit back and enjoy the movies/music. Writing this rather long essay(sorry), I am not sure what advice or additional information I am looking for, but I thought I will put it out there just to share my thoughts and introduce myself here.
best wishes
ravi

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
From what you've said I'd choose the Marantz. I own the T758V3.

Our main listening is 90/10 % movies/music but hoping to listen to music a bit more as we edge slowly towards retirement.
I can tinker around with the room correction but don't really want to spend too much time on it, just want to sit back and enjoy the movies/music.
Marantz provides 2 sub outs with Audyssey sub-eq. For movies this could prove to be your best future upgrade.
The NAD does not appear to be positioned for Dirac's future multi-sub capabilities.
There are other ways to integrate multiple subs but they don't fall into the "don't really want to spend too much time on it" category.
I think most would find Audyssey a bit more user friendly than Dirac.
Marantz provides front height/rear height speaker options for overhead. While not the most optimal, they may prove useful depending on speaker location options for a particular set up. Nad does not.
I'm a strong advocate of Dirac but primarily for music. Movies are not as concerning to me so long as the subs are under control. I'm 65-70% music in very sub-optimal small room. Dirac is a must for me.

We are not that fussy about Hi Res music etc, something that sounds pleasing enough to the ears will do.
Then Heos will work fine if you wish to get into streaming. You can also stream CD quality from Tidal using the 105D and Oppo's remote program for android/ios.

I am not sure if the NAD ships here( NZ) with the new MDC board or not
If you do get the NAD the new AM230 MDC is a MUST. Your dealer will need to call NAD and give them the serial number to verify what it was shipped with or open the box to see.
The new board has the height channel outputs on the bottom of the card and is correctly pictured here on NAD's website https://nadelectronics.com/product/am-230-dolby-atmos-mdc-module/
NAD is still picturing the old board on the T758V3 page here https://nadelectronics.com/product/t-758-v3-av-surround-sound-receiver/

RB62

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Harman Kardon AVR8500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 105D
Front Speakers
Infinity Kappa 400
Center Channel Speaker
Infinity Kappa
Surround Speakers
Infinity Kappa
Subwoofers
REL R300
PS3
Video Display Device
Sony TV 46"
From what you've said I'd choose the Marantz. I own the T758V3.
Many Thanks JStewart, Most grateful for your thoughts, I was thinking along the same lines. I am definitely considering a second sub in the immediate future, so the marantz in this respect will be useful. Once i have the basement area set to go, I will look at getting a power amp to pair with the 7704.The links for the NAD MDC board is very useful,just in case I need them.Thank you once again, cheers and best wishes:)

RB62

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Harman Kardon AVR8500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 105D
Front Speakers
Infinity Kappa 400
Center Channel Speaker
Infinity Kappa
Surround Speakers
Infinity Kappa
Subwoofers
REL R300
PS3
Video Display Device
Sony TV 46"
Thanks JStewart, no worries, So after a lot of thought I have pulled the trigger and got the 7704, should be with me in a couple of days, I know where to ask for help should I get stuck with my new toy.

Top Bottom