Manually Aligning Impulses

Dan Twomey

Supporter
Briefly, my daughter has a MacBook Air I’m thinking of substituting for my laptop to help determine the weak link in the chain.

Much more when time permits!

Regards,
Dan

Dan Twomey

Supporter
Today's left array measurement finds the excessive phase rotation, IR and step response appearing much improved. The phase rotation is about 1/2 of what it was. Do you know what changes were made? The SPL looks like the mic position was changed a little? Even though the measurement is much improved, I believe the issue is still not fully resolved as I would expect the line array to have more like maybe 90° phase rotation from 100-5000 Hz. See charts below.

First thing I did was turn off all the audio enhancements for my laptops audio software. Mic position was a guesstimate. I also turned off decimate IR.

Is all unnecessary processing in the AVR is turned off? Are you using stereo mode? Do you have a direct mode choice that bypasses all AVR processing? Is the power amp one that has a internal processor and if so, is all unnecessary processing turned off? Is the DCX is handling the XO for the towers and the AVR the SW XO, or is the DCX doing both XOs? EQ is off in all boxes for this testing?

The AVR is in Direct Mode with all processing bypassed. The DCX is strictly for the sub and is not used here. The power amp is a plain class A type.

The changes on the audio side of the laptop cause the mic levels discrepancies

JT

I‘m going to start over from scratch in a new thread. I’m going to throughly document my REW settings and mic setup.
I’m then only going to include single measurements from each speaker until I get a handle on what’s going on.
I have basically spare everything hardware. (I.e. laptop, cables, avr) wise so I can logically go through the possibilities one step at a
time.

Thanks very much for your help.

More soon....

Regards,
Dan

Top Bottom