Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Malignant

Movie: :4.5stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :4.5stars:
Extras: : :1star:
Final Score: :4stars:

Movie

If you’ve been a horror fan for any period of time you know that the genre has been over stuffed to the max over the decades. There’s very little new in the horror genre, and most attempts at making something fresh and exciting turn into a mess. Most of the time directors spend their efforts copying the successes of previous generations, or making countless sequels to films that have been better in the past and they’re intent on riding the coat tails of those films until it’s no longer profitable. Such was the case with James Wan’s The Conjuring years ago. It was a film that was ACTUALLY fresh and exciting, and then the powers that be drove the movie’s name into the ground with multiple sequels, spin offs and other “in the same universe as” type of works. However, this time James is back to his roots and he actually causes lightning to strike twice. Against all odds 2021’s Malignant is a shell shocking genre bending horror flick that puts Wan’s name back on the map for making a horror movie that is ACTUALLY fresh and exciting.

Madison Mitchell (Annabelle Wallis) is a meek and meager young expectant mother, beleaguered by a past of continuous miscarriages that have sapped her dry of hope. However, the pain of losing an unborn child is nothing to the horror that she is about to witness after watching a mysterious figure murder her abusive husband. As if by psychic connection, Madison watches a creepy and horrific figure murder the doctors and caregivers of a shut down research hospital as if she is really there. At first it seems like a horrible dream, but when she begins to see the dreams in succession, it can only mean one thing. She’s actually connected to this monster, and he’s going to continue killing unless she can get the police to help.

At first detectives Kekoa Shaw (George Young) and Regina Moss (Michole Briana White) aren’t exactly receptive to her claims of seeing psychic visions. But when she leads them to another murder with nothing but what she has seen in her visions, their opinions change. Unfortunately for Madison, not for the better, as the detectives believe that SHE is the killer and all of this supernatural stuff is just cover for her past history of mental health. But no matter what you, they, or I believe, the truth is that Madison is closer to this killer than she ever could imagine, and he will stop at nothing to claim what he believes is rightfully his.

I can’t spoil the movie TOO much, but needless to say it kept me guessing the entire time. I could say that there’s a spoiler in plain view that could trigger some speculation towards end reveal, but I’m not going to bring it to attention due to the fact that watching everything unfold is just so much more satisfying. I’m a seasoned horror pro, and even I had a hard time guessing where James Wan was going with it. There are elements of body horror along with supernatural and slasher elements. Wan doesn’t shy away from showing blood on screen, blasting the audience with some of the most gruesome murders in recent horror history. What really impressed me was just how plausible (from a world building point of view naturally) everything fell into place. Outside of a few comments (such as Madison’s sister Sydney warning her of what Gabriel was doing in the hospital) the entire thing just fits into place like a glove. The terror is simply palpable, and the slow twists and reveals rely more well placed story cues rather than typical jump scares.

Normally I’m of the opinion that a 4.5/5 or 5/5 rated horror movie is once a decade, but Wan has pulled it off TWICE in the last 10 years. Sure the man does have his misses, but when left to his own devices has pulled off some incredibly intelligent and well done horror movies, and Malignant is second only to The Conjuring, and only by the SLIMMEST of margins at that.

Rating:

Rated R for strong horror violence, and gruesome images, and for language

Video: :4.5stars:
I was actually really disappointed that Malignant didn’t get a 4K UHD release as the HBO max drop did have 4K AND the master was a 4K master. Ah well, either way, the Blu-ray looks incredible in 2.39:1 AVC. The film is heavily stylized with the dark blue/gray tone that is so prevalent in horror movies, but also showcases some weird neon greens, and dimly lit Seattle locations that have a more teal hue. Fine details are generally excellent, although I did notice some wonky CGI near the end (the whole reveal of Gabriel required it) which brings you out of things, otherwise the transfer is near immaculate. There’s some noise spikes inside of the subway tunnels and the interior of houses, but this is a VERY nice looking film from both a transfer point of view as well as a cinematography point of view (the overhead shots that Wan uses for Madison’s freak out at the beginning of the movie is incredible, and he uses a variety of optical effects and lens changes throughout the movie to keep things exciting).

Audio: :4.5stars:
A good horror movie requires a good horror audio mix, and the 5.1 DTS-HD MA mix is nothing to sneeze at. Powerful bass ripples throughout the whole track, and the surrounds just encompass the listener with a cocoon of activity from point one in the movie. Creaks and groans of the wood floor boards shift around the sound stage, as do the screams and shrieks as Madison the rest of the victims are tortured by Gabriel. Dialog is above reproach, with great moments of whisper quiet clarity and then as the track blasts into high gear. No imbalances to speak of, making this one of the better 5.1 mixes I’ve heard recently.

Extras: :1star:
Malignant: James Wan's Visions – Groundbreaking filmmaker James Wan takes us behind the scenes for a look at his latest film, Malignant, a genre-bending thriller

Final Score: :4stars:

Like all GOOD horror movies, James Wan uses good storytelling, lots of gore, and holds a few cards close to the vest that keeps the audience from guessing the ending a mile away. The bending of different horror sub genres is so well done that this jaded horror fanatic was completely blown away. Mostly due to the fact that it’s so rare to get a genuinely EXCELLENT horror movie that seeing a really good one like this was like feeding a steak to a starving hyena. The Blu-ray was excellently done on all specs except for the VERY meager extras that Warner gave it, but don’t let that stop you from checking out a truly excellent horror movie.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Annabelle Wallis, Maddie Hasson, George Young, Michole Briana White, Jean Louisa Kelly, Susanna Thompson, Christian Clemenson
Directed by: James Wan
Written by: James Wan, Ingrid Bisu, Akela Cooper
Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 5.1, English (U.S. and U.K) DVS 5.1, French, Spanish, Portuguese DD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Studio: Warner Brothers
Rated: R
Runtime: 111 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: November 30th, 2021

Recommendation: Great Watch

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Thanks for the review. This is a great movie with a crazy twist. I didn't see it coming.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Thanks for the review. This is a great movie with a crazy twist. I didn't see it coming.

he suckered us in with that ending. I thought I knew where it was going and was HALF right, only for him to pull out that twist of who Gabriel really was ... that was a total mind popper

Last edited:

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
he suckered us in with that ending. I thought I knew where it was going and was HALF right, only for him to pull out that twist of who Gabriel really was ... that was total mind popper
I can't say much to avoid spoilers but the part I didn't get was the super power.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
I can't say much to avoid spoilers but the part I didn't get was the super power.

yeah, I figure that was simply the old classic "it was somehow super special" horror trope.... it had to develop extra sensory stuff to compensate I guess. Just my opinion that is.. Wan did so much genre mashing that it was a bizarre (and rather unique) experience

Last edited:

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
Video Display Device

also, not gonna lie, I LOOOOOVED that they didn't try to "humanize" Gabriel either. that line of "you were always a monster" was spot on PERFECT for cementing him as being truly EVIL

Top Bottom