Loopack vs Acoustic Timing Reference for Phase Measurement

fus

Registered
I'm doing some FIR filters for my speakers and i'm using REW and rePhase for this purpose. However i found out that depending on the time reference i've use i get very different results of the Phase and the Impulse Response. Attached are screenshots. Both measurements are done using UMIK and are done on the exact same location. The only difference is the timing reference method. Why i'm getting such difference and which one i should trust?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 9.31.25.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 9.31.25.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 9.30.54.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 9.30.54.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 47

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Looks like your loopback path may be inverting. A loopback cannot be used as a timing reference for a USB mic because it is on a different device, devices do not maintain any synchronisation relative to one another.

Last edited:
Reactions: fus

Harrycr

Hi John
Is it ok to leave the loop back cable connected on a sound card for all measements?
Also do I still have to do the sound card calibration with the loop back cable connected?

Thanks

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Is it ok to leave the loop back cable connected on a sound card for all measements?
Also do I still have to do the sound card calibration with the loop back cable connected?
This thread is a question about using a UMIK for measurement, if your question is not about using a UMIK best starting a separate thread to avoid confusion.

fus

Registered
Looks like your loopback path may be inverting. A loopback cannot be used as a timing reference for a USB mic because it is on a different device, devices do not maintain any synchronisation relative to one another.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Top Bottom