Looking to add room correction, advice?

Shimei

Hi,
I have and use an Onkyo PR-RZ5100 at this time [I disable the eq as I don't like the way it sounds]. The Pre-Pro is connected to a Parasound Halo A31 using XLR balanced inputs. I'm looking for better room correction through as an example a dsp. My system is a 3.2, that is LCR + two subwoofers which are active [unbalanced inputs]. I'm looking for equipment that might phase align everything and adjust frequency ideally to my room.

I'm looking through minidsp.com website and can't figure out how best to add room correction. Now, I'd prefer a stand alone unit that I don't "need" to link up to my computer. However, if that is a necessity please educate me. I'd like to add a superb room correction device and run through the setup like any other in unit dsp correction built into a Pre-pro.

Could anyone possibly recommend equipment based on my equipment. Links would be greatly appreciated!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
If you plan on keeping the Onkyo... the miniDSP models with Dirac Live are going to be extremely hard to avoid. You only use your computer/laptop/tablet to set it up, then you are done.

AustinJerry

To add to Sonnie's recommendation, take a look at the MiniDSP 88A, which has 8 channels of Dirac Live room correction (arguably the best room correction), as well as a very configurable bass management add-on. It was recently upgraded to Dirac Live version 3.. The 88a supports balanced connections as well, and sits between your pre-pro and power amps, using the 7.1 analog outs from the Onkyo. Highly recommended.

DanDan

Staff member
Hmmm, I've been a Dirac supporter since the Inquisition. Digitally it seems to deal with I/O fairly well, although it is possible to run it at a different Sample Rate to a DAW, with a slightly distorted output. But in any case, I have found their analogue aspect to be below par with other high end audio hardware.. Inserting questionable A/D and D/A into an otherwise high end signal path seems, well, questionable, IMO.
Digital Eq should not vary much, or at all some would argue. I would use REW for recommendations and apply Eq in the Onkyo.

Randy L

Anything using Dirac room correction will do 'time\phase aligning' which is what sets Dirac apart from most other room corrections... The results are surreal! - Dirac is available in a host of hardware components although I use their 'Processor' software in a Windows based PC with Jriver and utilizing the WDM driver which permits all Windows sounds to pass through... Just be sure to set your sample rates to match the source and use the best Windows sound 'WASAPI'... Now route all sources through your PC. I even route my turntable through the PC as well and it still sounds very analog. You can even sample your turntable's output to a very high sample rate. Records like you've never heard them!

Shimei

To add to Sonnie's recommendation, take a look at the MiniDSP 88A, which has 8 channels of Dirac Live room correction (arguably the best room correction), as well as a very configurable bass management add-on. It was recently upgraded to Dirac Live version 3.. The 88a supports balanced connections as well, and sits between your pre-pro and power amps, using the 7.1 analog outs from the Onkyo. Highly recommended.

Thanks, I ordered the Minidsp 88A with Bass Management and the Phoenix XLR connectors. Looking forward to exploring Dirac Live 3!

TBON512

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
AVM60
Main Amp
DSONIC M3a-2800-7
Additional Amp
DSONIC M3a-2000-5
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo UDP-203
Front Speakers
Home Brew
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Supercenter X
Surround Speakers
GoldenEar Supersat 3
Surround Back Speakers
GoldenEar Supersat 3
Front Height Speakers
GoldenEar Invisa 650
Subwoofers
2x SVS SB2000
Video Display Device
Epson 5040UB
Screen
Elite Aeon Cinegrey 3D
Remote Control
Roomie Remote
Streaming Subscriptions
Shield TV, ATV, TiVo Bolt
I'd add that with the minidsp DDRC-88A, that is the least expensive option you can choose with the Power of Dirac, but you'll be doing an additional DA/AD conversion adding a little bit of noise (and a separate component, power supply, cabling, etc) - and I like that option a lot, but it's limited to 8 channels - I'm using a 4x10HD solely for the purpose of running bi-amped front speakers and found an iFi power supply helped some with noise in my system as well (unless you have gain mismatches or very efficient speakers is not a big problem to begin with.

However if you intend to grow your system (your Onkyo is 11.2 channels if you're willing to part with your Onkyo and sell it, for a little more money you can get an Anthem AVM-60, which has ARC Genesis which now includes impulse response correction as well so it is very much like Dirac - has adjustable bass boost and target curve tilt, and very very good sound. I'm not a Dirac whiz but i was in the beta-test group for 2.0 and couldn't do any better with it than what the Anthem did in my system by just running the default setup procedure which is very easy. 1 component, no need to make cables or buy them to use the phoenix connectors, all around cleaner way to do it. I'm seeing used PR-RZ5100s advertised at $1999 on-line, a new Anthem is $2999.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
which has ARC Genesis which now includes impulse response correction as well so it is very much like Dirac

Perhaps a matter of semantics or a lack of understanding on my part, but I don't see that ARC is doing time domain correction or phase correction as Dirac does per his article on Anthem's web site:

Shimei

Looking for a little help here. Received my new Minidsp DDRC 88A with bass management. The unit is less than a day old. Updated the firmware but now there's no Dirac Live LED on at the front panel. Also the software doesn't connect and just says plug in board. Is my new unit a brick?

Curious, what kinda company is minidsp? I'm a little concerned at the moment because it seems I currently have a brick after having shelled out 1200 bucks and customs charge for shipping by the shipping company of another 130+ dollars.

Shimei

Looking for a little help here. Received my new Minidsp DDRC 88A with bass management. The unit is less than a day old. Updated the firmware but now there's no Dirac Live LED on at the front panel. Also the software doesn't connect and just says plug in board. Is my new unit a brick?

Curious, what kinda company is minidsp? I'm a little concerned at the moment because it seems I currently have a brick after having shelled out 1200 bucks and customs charge for shipping by the shipping company of another 130+ dollars.

Please ignore,
Customer support responded and walked me through the steps in order to remedy the situation.

The support is actually very impressive. Not to mention the gear which was able to be resurrected from a brick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom