REW Beta Release locale issue (text file importer)

KSTR

Even though I have my geman win10 setup tu use the decimal point rather than the german comma, REW seems to ignore this in number fields, both with display and with data input. It has always been like this, it seems. For me, no problem to use the comma during normal operation.
But now I'm running into problems when importing .cal files which have the decimal point in the numbers but the importer expects a comma. Since up to now I usually did soundcard calibration, notch filter correction etc on the fly (where there are no problems) I never ran into that issue before.
I wouldn't mind hardcoding the number format to the international format, probably no-one will miss that dreaded comma.... even better would be a local setting in REW itself, in preferences, "cal-file" tab.

KSTR

Interestingly, probem doesn't seem to surface always. I restarted the PC and now the .cal imported successfully. Also after a REW restart. Hhhm...

KSTR

Unrelated, but oops, after running an RTA for a while I got an exception, see log. Version is 5.20 Beta55

Attachments

• REW.log.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 8

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Even though I have my geman win10 setup tu use the decimal point rather than the german comma, REW seems to ignore this in number fields, both with display and with data input. It has always been like this, it seems. For me, no problem to use the comma during normal operation.
But now I'm running into problems when importing .cal files which have the decimal point in the numbers but the importer expects a comma. Since up to now I usually did soundcard calibration, notch filter correction etc on the fly (where there are no problems) I never ran into that issue before.
I wouldn't mind hardcoding the number format to the international format, probably no-one will miss that dreaded comma.... even better would be a local setting in REW itself, in preferences, "cal-file" tab.
Java should picks up the machine settings, but it might use defaults for some locale settings instead of the system selections. When you say "the importer expects a comma" what exactly happened? If it happens again I'd like to see the file.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Unrelated, but oops, after running an RTA for a while I got an exception, see log. Version is 5.20 Beta55
That's pretty strange, since it is complaining about an index being out of bounds with a value of zero but also says the allowed range is zero to nine!

KSTR

When you say "the importer expects a comma" what exactly happened?
The importer stumbled accross the line with the frequency "10" and reported that it is a lower frequency than "9831", so the dot was seemingly simply discarded by the parser before conversion.
Code:
9.031 39.863 5.791
9.231 39.858 5.616
9.431 39.852 5.476
9.631 39.849 5.357
9.831 39.849 5.255
10 39.851 5.167
11 39.871 4.559
12 39.872 3.996
13 39.873 3.558

KSTR

I've overwritten it in the meantime but I generated a new one, it has the same content (except for minor run-to-run differences).
Also attached my locale settings.

Attachments

• 1kHz-Notch.cal.txt
    965.7 KB · Views: 7
  • locale-setting.gif
    locale-setting.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 9

KSTR

I've editied the .cal and replaced some "." with "," and bingo!

Attachments

• importer-error.gif
    importer-error.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 12

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Well yes, but a file shouldn't contain a mix of decimal delimiter so that should always give an error. It will have failed initially when first encountering the 7,031 followed by 7.231, then as a fallback it tries re-parsing the file using comma as a decimal delimiter instead and when that also fails it shows the error.

KSTR

Understood, this was just to force the error again. And that explaines that "6.831" is reported as "6831" on the second pass, right?
I think we can close the specific case as I didn't get any errors with correct files now.
The other thing is the data display/input but again I can easily live with that, I just have to be careful when entering signal levels like ".12V" which comes out as "12V"

KSTR

Another unrelated but very reproducible glitch: At the end of a stepped level measurement I always get an out-of-bounds exception. It also happens when I load such a measurement. The error only appears when the selected view is "SPL & Phase" (which is the default after startup)

Attachments

• REW.log.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 4

KSTR

Here wo go...

Attachments

• tmp.mdat
    53.1 KB · Views: 7

KSTR

Huh, sorry to come up with yet another little issue: stepped level measurements don't seem to use the soundcard calibration (== notch filter normalization, in my case)? Didn't check stepped frequency, but probably the same.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have fixed the exception for the next beta version.

Distortion measurements do not use calibraton data, the relevant help comment is:

Note that, as with the log sweep distortion measurements, calibration files are not applied to the stepped sine distortion results, but they are included in the SPL values for the resulting measurement.

and, from the Distortion graph help:

The plots of the Fundamental (the linear part of the measurement) and the distortion harmonics do not include mic/meter or soundcard calibration corrections. This is to avoid the effect of the corrections generating a misleading view of distortion levels. For example, mic/meter and soundcard calibration corrections boost the lowest frequencies of measurements to counter the roll-off of the mic/meter and soundcard interfaces, but adding those corrections to a distortion plot would make distortion appear to rise at low frequencies, hence their omission.

With a stepped level measurement there is no SPL graph, hence no SPL values to include calibration file corrections.

KSTR

Maybe it could be made optional to use it anyway for those who are aware of the side effects? When using notch filters to keep the ADC distortion and noise out of the picture this would be helpful for THD (not THD+N) vs. level automated plots spanning the full level range. No big deal though.

Top Bottom