polk t30
Surround Speakers
polk t15
Front Height Speakers
polk t15
Subwoofers
mtx sw2
Hi John,

I dug around through my laptops, and the one that came up working with multi-channel HDMI was the one with Linux installed (but not the Windows install on the same machine).

Dell Latitude 3150 laptop with Ubuntu 19.04 and 8GB of RAM
* Dayton IMM-6, connected to the laptop's headset jack with a 25' "Kabelsdirect" TRRS extension cable
* HDMI to a Denon AVR-S740H and 7.1.2 speakers
* REW 5.20 beta 15, OpenJDK 8

The first issue I encountered, which took a while to figure out, was that REW requires the pulse-java and java-atk-wrapper .jar and .so files, or it will get exceptions when trying to record/play audio. It turned out that I had Ubuntu's openjdk-8-jre-headless package installed, but not the openjdk-8-jre package, which brings those in. Despite being supposedly headless, the installer ran fine (though in text mode), and REW ran fine apart from the sound issues. openjdk-8-jre-headless had been installed as a dependency of something else before I tried installing REW, and I saw that a JRE was installed and didn't explicitly install one. Maybe I'm the only person who's ever run into this, but if not, maybe REW could check for this condition or something.

The other thing is that I'm getting exceptions when selecting the waterfall view, and it doesn't draw. If I use the scrollbar it will pop in. The GUI is somewhat messed up at that point, not drawing things immediately and so forth, and I have to exit/restart REW to make it work happily again. The graphics disable you document doesn't affect this problem. I've attached the stack trace.

Thanks again for a very nifty program!

Attachments

• rew-graphics-exception.txt
    2 KB · Views: 7

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That exception is from the installer rather than REW. There may be info in the REW log files, their location is shown in the Help -> About REW dialog. Can just zip the REW directory containing the log files and attach it here.

cgull

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
denon avr-s740h
Front Speakers
polk t50
Center Channel Speaker
polk t30
Surround Speakers
polk t15
Front Height Speakers
polk t15
Subwoofers
mtx sw2
Ah, my error, I copied the wrong text somewhere. Sorry. Here's a zip file with all the REW and install4j log files and the vmoptions file.

There's plenty of other exceptions logged in there but I think those are all related to selecting/using unusable sound devices.

Attachments

• REW-logs-conf.zip
    11.7 KB · Views: 4

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Try -Dsun.java2d.opengl=True in the vmoptions file to address the "not implemented yet" exceptions from the Java runtime (came up in this thread).

Top Bottom