Lexicon RV-9

R Smith

Does anyone have any thoughts on this AVR? audioadvice.com has it for $3600, down from MSRP of $6500

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
I have owned Lexicon over the years. Harman produces some nice gear. This appears to be a nice unit, short of no balanced connections, but being a receiver, not really necessary. It has Dirac Live, which is a plus. My guess is they are about to release something new, thus the reduction in price.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.

dlaloum

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Integra DTR 70.4 / Crown XLS2500
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1
Center Channel Speaker
Anthony Gallo Reference AV Center
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H
Old thread - but I noticed the RV9 still on sale in various places - sometimes at deep discounts (like the one mentioned in the OP)...

It is a "generic" Harman receiver - albeit a highish end one.

It does not have the customisability with Logic7 that previous generations had (MC1, MC12)

Seems to me that Lexicon today is an Orphan child - the people who developed all the Lexicon stuff have left... the Harman dev teams focus on JBL Synthesis as their flagship.... and Arcam as the next step down.... with Mark Levinson for "audiophile" gear (that is, as opposed to Videophile where it is covered by JBL Synthesis).

Is it a good receiver... at the right price, I would have jumped at it... but as priced, even discounted now, I feel there are better options in the Market.

Yes I would be willing to pay a few addition $100 for Logic7 or Logic16 upmixing - it was the best upmixer for music - and did an excellent job with movies as well... but it has a lot of competitors today, and the version of it deployed in the last couple of generations of Harman/Lexicon AVR's was knobbled/limited (full version apparently in the JBL's).

I am certain it will be a good sounding AVR - but Denon/Marantz/Onkyo/Anthem/NAD/Yamaha have been competing vigorously - and have upped their features repeatedly - several times since the RV9 was released.

I admit that at $3600 - it is in the competitive price bracket for quality AVR's - but it is a 2017 AVR at a 2022 competitive price.

Also updates and fixes to the RV9 firmware have been very slow... the feel is that it has been "forgotten" by the Harman team.

Top Bottom