Level of calibration

skywind7

Registered
I like to gain stage my audio when mixing to -18 0 VU. And for my monitoring I would like to calibrate to 74 SPL. What should be the level of signal when calibrating. Should the sweep be at -20 or something or -12

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Generally 0 VU would be -20 dBFS, so if you wanted the sweep level at -18 VU it would be -38 dBFS. Quite low, but you typed "-18 0 VU" so I'm not sure what level you are stating. Measuring at 74 dB SPL would be fine, so use the sweep level that gives you that.

skywind7

Registered
well generally at the calibrated level is too loud for me, so I am not sure how to mix at those levels, it literally is too much sound foe my ears, so I do go lower when monitoring but momentarily go up to that level. that's the best I can do right now.
I just didn't know what level to run the sweep etc. plus I was told that if im going for 74 SPL I should calibrated both speakers to 71 SPL since when they are combined it will hit 74 with a 3 DB boost in audio due to stereo summing or something like that

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You should be measuring one speaker at a time, but in any case just measure at a level that is comfortable to listen to.

skywind7

Registered
yes that's what I mean, I measure each speaker to 71 to get to 74. before what I did was measure both to the recommended level each speaker but combined it will be even louder then that.

skywind7

Registered
So does the level of the sweep be -20. I see some people use -12 what is the recommended level for music mixing calibration. 85 SPL is too loud for me so I go for about 74 SPL. What should the sweep level be

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You can alter the loudness of the sweep using the monitor level control or by lowering the REW sweep level. It is usually better to lower the REW sweep level with your monitor level set to the level you normally use, that way there is no risk of getting a louder sweep than you wanted if you forget to reduce the monitor level.

Top Bottom