Kaleidescape Review Chapter 3: The Kaleidescape Store [VIDEO REVIEW]

Manufacturer & Model
Kaleidescape Strato Player + Compact Terra 6TB Server
MSRP
$9990 ($5995 + $3995) as tested
Link
https://www.kaleidescape.com
Highlights
As the primary method of adding content to your Kaleidescape System, the Kaleidescape Movie Store deserves a look on its own - you'll be spending some time there. In this installment of our trilogy, we take a look at the store, how to find things, and examine the content itself - how it compares in both quality and availability to the other options available on the market today.
Summary
Kaleidescape is the high-octane content source to make the most of your home theater investment. Access over 13,000 movies - with more in 4K and lossless than any other source - for pre-order, purchase and rental. Direct download to your Kaleidescape server allows video as good as or better than UHD HDR discs, and audio delivered in lossless Dolby TrueHD + ATMOS and DTS-HDMA/DTS:X.

Kaleidescape offers the convenience of streaming coupled with higher-fidelity source material for the ultimate home theater experience.
full?d=1657721808.png

In Chapter One, we discussed the overall idea and concept of the Kaleidescape Movie Player System and the more commonly discussed features and options. In Chapter Two, I took you through a list of some lesser-known Kaleidescape Features which helped me make my purchase decision.

Which brings us to Chapter Three. In this installment (video below), I walk through one of the primary features you'll be interacting with - the Kaleidescape Movie Store. As the main method of adding movies to your server, the Kaleidescape Movie Store is a well-organized shopping experience. In addition to an overview of the interface, we'll also discuss the movies themselves - how the quality and availability compares with the other options on the market today.

As the investment in your home theater space grows and grows and you continue to upgrade performance, at some point, you want to think about the quality of the content you're feeding it. After all, you don't buy a Ferrari and fill it up with 87 octane ethanol blend. You want high octane content to make the most of your equipment, and the Kaleidescape movie player system fits the bill.

For a special player like the Kaleidescape, a single video was not enough, so I'm producing a trilogy. For a deeper dive into the specific features that influenced my purchase of the Kaleidescape movie player system, check out chapter 2 below!

Also check out:
Chapter 1: What Is Kaleidescape?
Chapter 2: What You DON'T Know About Kaleidescape

Kaleidescape Strato C Player Specifications
  • Resolutions: 2160p60/50/30/25/24, 1080p60/50/24, 1080i60/50, 720p60/50, 576i, 576p, 480i, 480p
  • Chroma: 4:4:4 8-bit up to 2160p60, 4:4:4 10/12-bit up to 2160p30, 4:2:2 12-bit up to 2160p60, 4:2:0 8/10/12- bit at 2160p50/60 only
  • Color spaces: BT.2020, BT.709, BT.601
  • HDR: HDMI 2.0a with support for SMPTE ST 2084 EOTF, SMPTE ST 2086 metadata
  • Network Connection: Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Base-T)
  • Audio Outputs
    • HDMI 2.0a (combined with video on the VIDEO connector)
    • HDMI 1.4 (audio-only on the DIGITAL AUDIO connector)
    • S/PDIF (coaxial RCA & TOSLINK connectors)
  • Audio Formats
    • Dolby Atmos
    • Dolby TrueHD
    • Dolby Digital
    • DTS:X
    • DTS-HD Master Audio
    • DTS Digital Surround
    • PCM
    • MPEG audio
  • Warranty: 5 years
  • Price: $5995

Kaleidescape Compact Terra Server Specifications
  • Storage Capacity: Available in 6TB, 12TB, & 18TB
  • Movie Storage: 6TB unit stores approximately 100 4K movies, 12TB stores approximately 200 4K movies, 18TB stores approximately 300 4K movies
  • Network Connection: Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Base-T)
  • Maximum Download Rate: 800Mbps
  • Playback Capability: Can accommodate 5 4K playback streams simultaneously
  • Warranty: 5 years
  • Price: $3995 (as tested)
Kaleidescape Terra Server Also Available in 48TB & 72TB Options

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Great third installment, Travis. I think you captured the system well!

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite - Moving to Unfolded Circle Remote 2
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB, PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
Great third installment, Travis. I think you captured the system well!
Thanks Todd! It’s a great system…everything I wanted PLEX to be without all the upkeep and client/format issues.

dlasater

Registered
More  
Lyngdorf MP-40
Main Amp
Rotel RB-1590
Additional Amp
Cambdridge Audio CXA81
Sony Blu-Ray
Front Speakers
Bowers and Wilkens 805 D3
Center Channel Speaker
Bowers and Wilkens HTM6 S2
Front Wide Speakers
NA
Surround Speakers
Bowers and Wilkens CM6 S2
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsh
Front Height Speakers
Klipsh
Rear Height Speakers
Bowers and Wilkens CCM 663
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000 Pro / SVS PB-2000 / Klipsch
Video Display Device
LG OLED C9 65"
Remote Control
Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
Bluesound Node 2i / Apple TV 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Amazon Music HD / Apple TV+ / Amazon Prime / Netflix / Hulu / Disney
Great trilogy Travis- helped me with my evaluation of the Kaleidescape system prior to purchase. Thank you for confirming the absence of Dolby Vision, which for me is a major bummer as I am using a large OLED TV and not a projector. Have you heard if DV might be added down the road?

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB, PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
Great trilogy Travis- helped me with my evaluation of the Kaleidescape system prior to purchase. Thank you for confirming the absence of Dolby Vision, which for me is a major bummer as I am using a large OLED TV and not a projector. Have you heard if DV might be added down the road?
Thanks for watching!

I don't have any inside information, or rumors regarding future implementation of Dolby Vision, but I would urge you to check out a local demo if there is a dealer nearby. You may just be impressed with their existing HDR implementation. ;)

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Wait a minute! You're paying north of $6K and you don't get Dolby Vision?!?! Wow!

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Wait a minute! You're paying north of $6K and you don't get Dolby Vision?!?! Wow!

A) projector people are their target market
B) their encodes look fantastic without DV
C) if they decide to add it as market grows, they can update all their titles free of charge so nobody needs to re-purchase the movies. They frequently offer free updates to movies due to “audio/video enhancements”.

More  
StormAudio ISP.32 AVB
Main Amp
Digital Amp Company Cherry MEGASchino MONO's
Additional Amp
Digital Amp Company Cherry Maraschino's
HTPC
Front Speakers
JTR Speakers Noesis 215RM
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Front Height Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Subwoofers
4 ea JTR Speakers Captivator S2's
Infinite Baffle - 8 Acoustic Elegance IB15 drivers
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-NX7
Screen
Seymour AV Retractable CenterStage XD
I have a Murideo 8K Seven HDMI Generator. It has the same images encoded for HDR, HLG, and Dolby Vision. Last night I did some testing on my LG C1. In all but 1 image HDR and Dolby Vision looked identical. The other image looked slightly better on Dolby Vision. I also checked for clipping and Dolby Vision clips on this display at 330 nits. HDR had decent tone mapping and was able to display content mastered at up to 1300 nits.

As a Kaleidescape owner myself, I don't see a benefit for Dolby Vision. Especially since pretty much all customers are using a projector.

Kaleidescape's hardware does not support Dolby Vision and it would require a hardware change for Dolby Vision to be supported in the future. It isn't as simple as updating the titles.

Mike Kobb from Kaleidescape said:
Dolby Vision requires hardware support on the player/source side. Dolby has a nice white paper that explains in more detail how the Dolby Vision information is encoded, and how the work is divided between the player and the display.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
I have a Murideo 8K Seven HDMI Generator. It has the same images encoded for HDR, HLG, and Dolby Vision. Last night I did some testing on my LG C1. In all but 1 image HDR and Dolby Vision looked identical. The other image looked slightly better on Dolby Vision. I also checked for clipping and Dolby Vision clips on this display at 330 nits. HDR had decent tone mapping and was able to display content mastered at up to 1300 nits.

As a Kaleidescape owner myself, I don't see a benefit for Dolby Vision. Especially since pretty much all customers are using a projector.

Kaleidescape's hardware does not support Dolby Vision and it would require a hardware change for Dolby Vision to be supported in the future. It isn't as simple as updating the titles.
Checking an image for differences between static tone-mapping and dynamic tone-mapping? Unless your implying HDR10 which may make more sense.

The whole Dolby Vision/HDR is a bit of a rabbit hole isn’t it? I’ve been a firm believer in what’s best for the industry and I have always been under the impression that that was/is Dolby Vision. That has always been what I’ve read in articles and on forums since their inception. HDR10’s introduction may have changed this somewhat but I thought the status quo was still in place. There always seems to be a Betamax/VHS controversy in the industry doesn’t there?

More  
StormAudio ISP.32 AVB
Main Amp
Digital Amp Company Cherry MEGASchino MONO's
Additional Amp
Digital Amp Company Cherry Maraschino's
HTPC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Front Height Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Subwoofers
4 ea JTR Speakers Captivator S2's
Infinite Baffle - 8 Acoustic Elegance IB15 drivers
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-NX7
Screen
Seymour AV Retractable CenterStage XD
Checking an image for differences between static tone-mapping and dynamic tone-mapping? Unless your implying HDR10 which may make more sense.

The whole Dolby Vision/HDR is a bit of a rabbit hole isn’t it? I’ve been a firm believer in what’s best for the industry and I have always been under the impression that that was/is Dolby Vision. That has always been what I’ve read in articles and on forums since their inception. HDR10’s introduction may have changed this somewhat but I thought the status quo was still in place. There always seems to be a Betamax/VHS controversy in the industry doesn’t there?
I use HDR and HDR10 interchangeably. Yes, I'm comparing HDR10 to Dolby Vision on the same display with the same content - just different HDR implementations. How else would you compare them?

I can't find any Dolby Vision releases for home media that aren't also in HDR10 so I don't think there is any controversy like Betamax/VHS. Dolby Vision requires more licensing which is why Samsung doesn't include. Also most Samsung displays can display HDR10 to 1000 nits with none to little tone mapping. Also, Samsung is championing HDR10+.

Finally, there are theatrical Dolby Vision releases, like Thor: Love and Thunder, that are released on UHD Blu-ray with HDR10 and no Dolby Vision. This is because theaters need the Dolby Vision metadata for their 31 nit calibrated screen brightness. When released to home media there is less a need for Dolby Vision since HDR is usually sufficient for most modern displays.

Top Bottom