Java frequency response sweeps different to ASIO4ALL and crackling noises in ASIO4ALL

warek

Hi

I have a windows 10 computer and have been testing my centre speaker using REW version 5.20.13, and a UMIK 1 and HDMI cable to the AVR. On my speaker frequency response there is a climbing treble response from 7 kz to 20K when I use ASIO4All compared to when I use java. I am using a Yamaha dedicated home cinema processor CXA 5200, and several power amps.
To keep things simple I ran the centre speaker test first on java by using the left channel input into the centre channel amp circuit. I did this because I nearly always get crackling noises through each speaker when I run a sweep using ASIO4ALL. (not when I use JAVA). The crackling varies, but is is there 9 times out of 10 with ASIO4all. This crackling noise is a different issue and I would appreciate any advice how to get around this crackling?

Then later I reconnected made another sweep and use centre rca lead to centre channel for amp and therefore needed to use ASIO4ALL. There rising treble response was noticed. I reset AVR, used pure direct, made sure avr PEQ is on through and rising treble is always present on ASIO4ALL.
To eliminate the centre channel as a cause of the problem, I finished by using the left channel connection to measure the left output in Java and in then measured the left channel using ASIO4ALL using the same centre speaker and the same rising treble exists.

I assume the Java response is correct as I tried 2 different centre speakers and the showed the same rising treble.

As an aside I have just spend many hours eq my centre speaker manually using the inbuilt PEQ in the audio processor and have been making sweeps with ASIO4ALL and had to make cuts of -4.5 db from 8kz and higher to match the Harmon Kardon curve I was working from. If I changed cables eq centre and tested using Java I would have a very different set PEQ settings for 8 kz onwards.

I thought I read somewhere that there is know a multichannel version of Java, can anyone advise how I find it and is it preferable to use it compared to ASIO4ALL for centre channels and surrounds?

Thanks for any suggestions

Kevin

Attached a pic and a rew file

Attachments

• Rising treble Asio4all compared to Java.jpg
    Rising treble Asio4all compared to Java.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 11
  • JAVA COMPARED TO ASIO4ALL.mdat
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
To deal with the crackling with ASIO4All increase the buffer size setting. Your ASIO reading looks different because you have loaded the mic cal file twice, once as a mic cal file and again as a soundcard cal file, so it is being applied twice. Remove the soundcard cal file entry.

warek

Thanks John

Currently have buffer size of 512, I can select up to 2048. What setting would you suggest?

Regards
Kevin

warek

Thanks John

Seems to be good from 1024 up. Problem solved

Thanks again for your advice

Kevin

Michael_B

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz SR7015
Front Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41M
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch Reference R-52
Surround Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41M
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-40SA
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41S
Subwoofers
Klipsch R-8SW

Michael_B

Registered
More  
Marantz SR7015
Front Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41M
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch Reference R-52
Surround Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41M
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-40SA
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41S
Subwoofers
Klipsch R-8SW
You are probably better off using FlexASIO.
i installed it, but i have no idea what settings i should use? im trying to get my 5.1.4 system up and running perfect, but im still very much a rookie in this calibration thing

Michael_B

Registered
More  
Marantz SR7015
Front Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41M
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch Reference R-52
Surround Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41M
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-40SA
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41S
Subwoofers
Klipsch R-8SW
Hi

I have a windows 10 computer and have been testing my centre speaker using REW version 5.20.13, and a UMIK 1 and HDMI cable to the AVR. On my speaker frequency response there is a climbing treble response from 7 kz to 20K when I use ASIO4All compared to when I use java. I am using a Yamaha dedicated home cinema processor CXA 5200, and several power amps.
To keep things simple I ran the centre speaker test first on java by using the left channel input into the centre channel amp circuit. I did this because I nearly always get crackling noises through each speaker when I run a sweep using ASIO4ALL. (not when I use JAVA). The crackling varies, but is is there 9 times out of 10 with ASIO4all. This crackling noise is a different issue and I would appreciate any advice how to get around this crackling?

Then later I reconnected made another sweep and use centre rca lead to centre channel for amp and therefore needed to use ASIO4ALL. There rising treble response was noticed. I reset AVR, used pure direct, made sure avr PEQ is on through and rising treble is always present on ASIO4ALL.
To eliminate the centre channel as a cause of the problem, I finished by using the left channel connection to measure the left output in Java and in then measured the left channel using ASIO4ALL using the same centre speaker and the same rising treble exists.

I assume the Java response is correct as I tried 2 different centre speakers and the showed the same rising treble.

As an aside I have just spend many hours eq my centre speaker manually using the inbuilt PEQ in the audio processor and have been making sweeps with ASIO4ALL and had to make cuts of -4.5 db from 8kz and higher to match the Harmon Kardon curve I was working from. If I changed cables eq centre and tested using Java I would have a very different set PEQ settings for 8 kz onwards.

I thought I read somewhere that there is know a multichannel version of Java, can anyone advise how I find it and is it preferable to use it compared to ASIO4ALL for centre channels and surrounds?

Thanks for any suggestions

Kevin

Attached a pic and a rew file
Did your crakling sound something like this?

I made a quick vid of mine.

Top Bottom