Surround Speakers
Cambridge Soundworks
Surround Back Speakers
Cambridge Soundworks
Subwoofers
ELAC 12-Debut
Streaming Subscriptions
Apple Airport Express for wifi and music
What I would like to do is add a more powerful amplifier to my Home Theater AVR for stereo (2.1) music listening with an idea that I might eventually buy a larger set of floor standing speakers in the future with good bass so no sub is needed.

I would also prefer an amplifier that would allow me to attach my subwoofer, my turntable and my Blu-ray / CD player so that for music listening I would not have to power up my AVR!
My current set up is:

DENON AVR-X4000

YAMAHA BD-A1060 Aventage Blu-ray / DVD / CD player

THORENS TD-318 Turntable with NAGAOKA MP-110 cartridge

SCHIIT MANI PHONO PREAMP

SCHIIT LOKI Equalizer / Tone control

WHARFEDALE Jade 3 Bookshelf speakers (86 db sensitivity / 6 Ohm / 30 - 150 watts) on WHARFEDALE stands

ELAC Debut S12EQ Subwoofer

CAMBRIDGE SOUNDWORKS surround speakers:

1 - Center - MC-100 / 2-Side MC-200S (Dipole / Bipole) and 1-Rear - MC-300

Which would be the best route to go - power amplifier like an Emotiva XPA series or an integrated amplifier such as a Musical Fidelity m5si / m6si or a Peachtree 150 / 300, the older Peachtree 220 Rotes 1570 or any of the quality integrated amps out there.

The floor standing speakers I have in mind are Focal Electra 1038 BE or 1028 BE; GoldenEar Triton Two Plus, Aurum Cantus V7F, PSB Imagine 3T or 2T; Ryan S840 or Ryan R6300……

Thanks for your time and attention to my request!

Tony V.

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Do you feel that your current receiver is not capable of reproducing good 2 channel sound? Your Denon X4000 has a pure/direct mode that will bypass all processing. It would be very difficult to notice a difference in quality over a boutique 2 channel integrated amp in my opinion. I agree purchasing a two channel amp and using the X4000 pre outs would be a benefit for your main speakers but using a dedicated two channel rig just for music is overkill.

JohnnyR104sme

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR-X4000
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony Blue-ray with wifi / Rotel RCD 930AX CD
Front Speakers
Wharfedale Jade 3 Bookshelf
Center Channel Speaker
Cambridge Soundworks
Surround Speakers
Cambridge Soundworks
Surround Back Speakers
Cambridge Soundworks
Subwoofers
ELAC 12-Debut
Streaming Subscriptions
Apple Airport Express for wifi and music
Thanks for your rapid response Tony V.
I really did not know that my Denon AVR model had this feature. As a matter of fact I purchased the aforementioned
Yamaha Aventage Blu-ray player because it has both a CD mode as well as a Pure Direct mode for higher
quality sound playback. If this enhances the sound quality then you are correct that the price of the amps I was looking at would not
be justified. Thank you so much for pointing this out. Have a happy and healthy holiday season.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I reviewed an NAD integrated that I really liked. It sounded great.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/nad-c-368-hybrid-digital-dac-amplifier-w-bluos-review.2482/

NAD makes a larger model with more power.
https://nadelectronics.com/product/c-388-hybrid-digital-dac-amplifier/

That would be an awesome addition. Powerful and great sound with the ability to add Bluesound. I would highly recommend it.

I’m also reviewing a Yamaha stereo receiver with Multicast.
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n803/index.html
It’s good for 145 watts and has a pretty serious power supply. I haven’t done any measurements but I would guess it’s more powerful than your receiver. It might be an option.

These are all good products that I’ve heard and used.

You might just consider a decent external 2-channel amplifier that you use for your main speakers. Most receivers have a pure direct mode that turns off all processing. In my experience these measure pretty well. The response is often flat and clean. It might make you happy for now.

Top Bottom