Installing REW on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1

John Mulcahy

REW Author
When installing REW on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 you may encounter a somewhat cryptic error message: "The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-timezone-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.". This is caused by the Java runtime using components from the Windows Universal C Runtime which are not present on older Windows installations. To fix it see this Microsoft knowledge base article, KB2999226 or for 32-bit Windows XP use the Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes AIO Repack v19 2019-04-24.

error.jpg

Last edited:

Ferris LeChat

Have a problem installing REW x32 5.20.5 on XP Pro SP3, double clicking installation executable brings up an error popup window which says:
REW_Windows-x32_5_20_5.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point RegGetValueA could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll

I installed the Visual C++ pack linked above but that doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• REW problem.jpg
    REW problem.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 37

GaLeX

Registered
Hi, may be my ask is stupid enough, but: is there any possibility to compile a latest REW 5.20 version for WinXP 32 bit based on Java 6?
Some critical (for me) software I use require exactly Java 6 and nothing more. The installation of several versions of Java is not convenient and creates more problems than solutions. Thus I'm forced to use an old 5.0 version having a lot of restrictions compared to the newest ones.
Or is it completely impossible? Thank you!

phofman

@GaLeX: Can't you run your WinXP + java6 in a virtual container and REW on a standard win host?

AFAIK REW uses java8 features. Also the WinXP 32-bit version is not being fully tested and is officially not supported.

Running several java versions should not be a major problem - typically it's "just" about a few environment variables and running the java jars with the required JRE.

Also - what issues prevent your jars compiled for java 6 fom running on java 8?

GaLeX

Registered
Hi, thank you for your reply! "To run WinXP+java 6 in a virtual container" seems to be too complex both for me and for my hardware (not so much resources are available), thus I use only WinXP as an operational system, nothing more, in all my computers. As to your second question - the application (this is the huge Oracle database with a complex structure and a license protection, the jars are even not visible and are "hidden" somewhere) fails to start if java is upgraded even to 7th version. So I was forced to downgrade to 6th one.
I have the possibility to boot Win7 from external HDD, in this system Java 8 can be probably installed, but I didn't check this possibility yet (too much manipulations to run a single software, lack of free USB slots for external sound card).
If the newest versions of REW are based on routines which are absent in Java 6, then the once way seems to be using an external boot device with higher versions of Win and Java...

phofman

If you can afford to shutdown your WinXP with the Oracle DB and reboot into a different installation, issue solved, IMO :cool:

GaLeX

Registered
Yes, but an another issue appears - no free USB slots for external soundcard - and I have to solve it too...

GaLeX

Registered
Update: In my case, the solution was much more simple as I expected. I just installed version 5.19 with private JRE, then upgrade to version 5.20.RC11 mentioned above as the last version running on WinXP. In my configuration, old Java 6 was installed on my old system disk C:, and my current system disk is D:
After installation, I discovered that REW runs with Java 8, and the database continued to run with Java 6. No manipulation to switch is required. So, the problem is completely solved even without any external boot.

Top Bottom