Installing REW on Rarpberry and SO. Raspbian

I will describe the procedure for installing REW on the Raspberry Pi 3 or Pi 4.
I think this procedure is also valid for the Raspberry Pi2 but it has not been tested.

1) Download the latest version of Raspbian for Raspberry ,
i recommend the Buster version with only the Desktop immediately after unpacking it in any directory.

2) Recover an 8Gb micro SD with a USB / microSD adapter.

3) On Windows you have to download the Win32diskimager program which allows you to write the operating system on the microSD card and use it on the Raspberry.

4) On Linux Ubuntu or Apple you can install the Imager application from this address
5) Install the Win32diskimager program on the PC as an administrator user

6) Launch the program and insert the usb / microSD adapter into the usb port, the program will detect the microSD memory by assigning a letter.
Attention, check that actually the assigned letter is from the microSD otherwise you can combine disasters.

7) Select the operating system file with the .img extension that you previously downloaded in step 1 of the provision and press the write button.

8) After writing, remove the microSD card and insert it on the raspberry.

9) Before the full start of the raspberry you will be asked to set some fundamental parameters such as
membership status, language and system password and also the Wifi password to make the latest updates.

10) Now we have the system working, to carry out all the updates open an LXterminal terminal and give the following
command: sudo apt update and wait for the update with the repositories , the first time you give the sudo command,
the system password you entered during the installation will be requested.
After giving the command sudo apt upgrade to carry out all the updates wait for the end of the download and installation.

11) Reboot the system with the command : sudo reboot

12) To install REW we need Oracle's Java virtual machine, in particular version 8 of JVM.

13) Open the bowser. Register on the Oracle website to download the JVM, the latest available has the name of the file jdk-8u221-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.tar.gz
or you can download the file at the following address wait for the download to end.

14) Open the terminal and go to the downloads directory command: cd Downloads

15) Unzip the file in the appropriate directory with the command: sudo tar zxvf jdk-8u221-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.tar.gz -C / opt
wait for the end.

16) To install the runtime give the command: sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /opt/jdk1.8.0_221/bin/javac 1

17) To install the VM give the command: sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/jdk1.8.0_221/bin/java 1

18) To indicate that we are using this version of java runtime give the command: sudo update-alternatives --config javac

19) To indicate that we are using this version of java give the command: sudo update-alternatives --config java

20) Check the version of java in use with the commands: java -version and javac -version if they display verision 1.8.0_221
everything went well.

21) reboot and re-check the version of java with the commands described above.

22) Clearly to use REW we need to install a sound card, in the post Make a good measurement system with REW and Raspberry
you can find some advice on which sound card to use.
Suppose we choose one of the most economic the Audionjector Zero we have to enable the management of the I2C bus on the raspberry
go to the Preference menu and select Raspberry Pi Configuration go to the Tab Interface and select Enable on I2C and give Ok.
Reboot to activate the functionality.
If you have an external compatiple sound card on the USB bus this point is not necessary.

23) Download the file audio.injector.scripts_0.1-1_all.deb.tar.gz from the link extract the audio.injector.scripts_0.1-1_all.deb file into any folder and then install the file simply by double clicking on the file icon.

24) After installation, open the terminal and give the command: audioInjector-setup.sh wait for execution and then give the command: sudo reboot

25) After the restart if everything is ok, go to the audio icon and press the right mouse button you will find Audio Output and Audio Input inside
you will find audioinjector-pi-soudcard go to the Audio device option menu and select Line Capture, ADC High pass filter, Line in, Output mixer HiFi.

26) Download the latest REW beta version from the official website The version you need to download is the one for linux REW_linux installer V.5.20 beta xx.

27) Open the terminal and go to the downloads directory with the command: cd Downloads

28) Make the downloaded file executable with the command : sudo chmod + x REW_linux_V5_20_beta41.sh

29) Perform the installation with the ./REW_linux_V5_20_beta41.sh command

30) Select the quantity of ram that REW normally uses 1G and continue with the installation.
At the end the REW icon will be created on the desktop.

31) Double click on the REW icon and select run and finally the great REW program will open.

Thanks for your attention.

frangle

More  
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo BDP-105
Front Speakers
Dutch & Dutch 8c
Thanks for this guide.

A few points:
- following the Java link gave me version 8u212 not 8u221, so (obviously) this reference must be changed in the commands above to whatever version exists at the time of download on the Java site
- the line sudo tar zxvf jdk-8u221-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.tar.gz -C / opt has a space in error between / and opt, so should be "/opt"
- the line sudo chmod + x REW_linux_V5_20_beta41.sh has an extra space between + and x and I needed an underscore after beta (beta_47 for the version I found)

I use an Audiophonics DigiPi card and had to run through the configuration procedure on the HifiBerry site to get the HAT recognised with the Buster+desktop build.

There is indeed a few minor mistakes, but nothing so serious.
Thanks for these corrections, I hope that the guide was useful to correctly configure the raspberry.
To fully use the REW software I always use sound cards that have DAC and ADC, the Digi card seems to me to have only
the DAC function how do you make level measurements? Do you use a USB microphone? and how do you do the impedance measurements?

Regards
Antonio

frangle

More  
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo BDP-105
Front Speakers
Dutch & Dutch 8c
Quick answer (as I've just started using this) -

I have a USB mike (UMIK-1). I have active speakers (D&D 8c) so DAC is internal and I feed with AES3 from the DigiPi. My application is just to do room mode correction, so I don't need to do impedance measurements (and clearly I wouldn't be able to anyway).

The level measurements just work, though there is no hardware volume control on the DigiPi. I haven't yet assessed whether the software level control is a problem, but if it is, I can reduce the gain in the speakers and run REW at a higher level.

Top Bottom